Sold my Hot Rod Deluxe, now what?

asdfjkl semi

• Members

Not much for constraints there, IMO. I'd look at small Mesas, George Dennis, Deluxe or AC15, and you won't give it much time, but definitely a Vox AD60VTX, even if you just use a couple of the models. They are very good. And, it would matter immensely what it was going to be used for and what tones/features were desired.

• Members

Hmm, I had heard good things about the AD60, even though it's solid state. I'll give one the benefit of some playing time next time I'm in the music store.

What if I bump it up to $800?

I like a lot of different tones. Part of the reason I liked the Hot Rod was the variety I could pull out of it, but it was just too damn loud. I've learned that I like amps with a fairly tight, clean sound, especially in the bottom end, so valve juniors and orange tiny terrors generally don't do it for me and my strat.

Where can you get/test out a George Dennis?

• Members
Hmm, I had heard good things about the AD60, even though it's solid state. I'll give one the benefit of some playing time next time I'm in the music store.

What if I bump it up to $800?

I like a lot of different tones. Part of the reason I liked the Hot Rod was the variety I could pull out of it, but it was just too damn loud. I've learned that I like amps with a fairly tight, clean sound, especially in the bottom end, so valve juniors and orange tiny terrors generally don't do it for me and my strat.

Where can you get/test out a George Dennis?

No idea in your area. I bought my Mighty Mouse head here on HC as a new demo for $399. http://www.george-dennis.cz/pages/mighty.htm I wouldn't change with the extra $200. Same choices.

• Members

Just sold my HRDX for $455 through Craigslist. YESSS!

I need something in the 15-20 watt range, and I can spend as much as $600.

I was originally thinking about a used DRRI or AC15, or maybe a NOS BJ.

What would you get with those constraints?

I think the AC15CC and DRRI are the best of the smallish sub $1000 tube amps I have played. Most other amps in this price range (PV Classic, Fender Hot Rod, etc.) sound rather generic. All useful amps, but the AC and DRRI both have distinct, signature sounds.

I have heard a lot of bad stories about the quality control of new Chinese Voxes, so that worries me. I don't think the DRRIs have a perfect record either, but I get the feeling like A LOT of people have had trouble with the Chinese Vox tube amps.

I hear the older Brit-made AC15TBX models sound great and are of better quality, but they will be more expensive.

I have A/Bed the Blues Jr. NOS and the DRRI right next to each other, same guitar, at a full range of volumes. The DRRI is just the better amp across the board. Bigger cab and better projection and bass response, better clean, better reverb (and tremolo!). When pushed to powertube distrotion, the NOS Jr. is muddy and ragged IMO. DRRI is much crisper and clearer. They're equally loud and break up around the same point, but the Blues Jr. sounds "smaller". Not a bad amp, but the DRRI is better. Only advantage (other than price) of the Blue Jr. NOS is the master volume control.

• Members

I would suggest trying to find a boogie Subway rocket, or a studio 22+... Those are both GREAT little amps that can be found all the time for under $500. And they have great clean channels...

I think the subway offers a little more fexibility in the gain levels from clean to dirty.

• Members

why did you sell it?

The tone wasn't too bad. As metallica_00 said, it's a little generic sounding (doesn't have much of it's own character), but mostly it was too loud. I'm renting a house with friends and I just couldn't get into the sweet spot without pissing off everyone I live with.

It's a two-part problem, and the amp is just half of it.

• Members

I think the AC15CC and DRRI are the best of the smallish sub $1000 tube amps I have played. Most other amps in this price range (PV Classic, Fender Hot Rod, etc.) sound rather generic. All useful amps, but the AC and DRRI both have distinct, signature sounds.

I have heard a lot of bad stories about the quality control of new Chinese Voxes, so that worries me. I don't think the DRRIs have a perfect record either, but I get the feeling like A LOT of people have had trouble with the Chinese Vox tube amps.

I hear the older Brit-made AC15TBX models sound great and are of better quality, but they will be more expensive.

I have A/Bed the Blues Jr. NOS and the DRRI right next to each other, same guitar, at a full range of volumes. The DRRI is just the better amp across the board. Bigger cab and better projection and bass response, better clean, better reverb (and tremolo!). When pushed to powertube distrotion, the NOS Jr. is muddy and ragged IMO. DRRI is much crisper and clearer. They're equally loud and break up around the same point, but the Blues Jr. sounds "smaller". Not a bad amp, but the DRRI is better. Only advantage (other than price) of the Blue Jr. NOS is the master volume control.

Yeah, I'm also a little worried about the the quality of the Chinese AC15CC, after reading some horror-story reviews.

I think the BJ has a 10" rather than the 12" of the DRRI. That will probably contribute to the difference in projection. The only thing is, if I wind up getting a used '65 RI, it might have the same muddy sound characteristics before I retube it.

Master volume is OK, not the world's greatest feature IMO.

• Members

I would suggest trying to find a boogie Subway rocket, or a studio 22+... Those are both GREAT little amps that can be found all the time for under $500. And they have great clean channels...

I think the subway offers a little more fexibility in the gain levels from clean to dirty.

I think there are 2 places to get [new] mesas at home. I'll keep my eye out for a used one, but new boogies are always so damn expensive. :(

Edit: I just spent some time listening to the studio 22 on youtube. It's sooo sick

• Members

Yeah, I'm also a little worried about the the quality of the Chinese AC15CC, after reading some horror-story reviews.

I think the BJ has a 10" rather than the 12" of the DRRI. That will probably contribute to the difference in projection. The only thing is, if I wind up getting a used '65 RI, it might have the same muddy sound characteristics before I retube it.

Master volume is OK, not the world's greatest feature IMO.

Yeah, I thought it was the combination of the 10" speaker vs. the 12" and the smaller cab size that hurt the BJ's sound.

I got my DRRI used, but it had just be retubed with some nice JJ and NOS tubes and rebiased. The tech had done a few cap swaps as well. They're pretty bright amps by nature, so I don't think I'd worry about it being too muddy.

• Members

The Blues Jr. uses a 12" speaker...it's the smaller cab size that "hurts" it (though I love mine).

I had 3 Vox AC15CC1's, and only 1 of them was really any good (and that was a floor model I borrowed until a "new" one came in)...of the other two, one had a bad master vol pot, and the other had a loud low-level hum that wasn't apparent on the other two. I also didn't really like the idea of having to open up the amp to swap out the tubes. I ended up feeling it was too heavy to tote around as well, so I opted for the smaller, lighter Blues Jr (which, with an Ibanez TS9, sounds extremely close to the Vox preamp overdrive).

• Members

Yeah, I thought it was the combination of the 10" speaker vs. the 12" and the smaller cab size that hurt the BJ's sound.

I got my DRRI used, but it had just be retubed with some nice JJ and NOS tubes and rebiased. The tech had done a few cap swaps as well. They're pretty bright amps by nature, so I don't think I'd worry about it being too muddy.

Ya, a cheap 10" speaker and small cab has boxy written all over it no matter what. Either way though, there is no comparison between the tone of a Blues Jr and a Deluxe. And I don't think I've ever heard the word muddy be used when describing a Deluxe.

• Members
mesas at home. I'll keep my eye out for a used one, but new boogies are always so damn expensive.
:(

Edit: I just spent some time listening to the studio 22 on youtube. It's sooo sick

Yeah. It is a great little amp. Both the studio and subway are no longer made so used in the only route. You can sometimes pick them up real cheap on ebay. I think there is a nice subway rocket up there now. I recently got a second one. Its a custom order with cream tolex and leather on the corners. Its nice... HIghly recommend. They even do good clean!

• Members

The Blues Jr. uses a 12" speaker...it's the smaller cab size that "hurts" it (though I love mine).

I had 3 Vox AC15CC1's, and only 1 of them was really any good (and that was a floor model I borrowed until a "new" one came in)...of the other two, one had a bad master vol pot, and the other had a loud low-level hum that wasn't apparent on the other two. I also didn't really like the idea of having to open up the amp to swap out the tubes. I ended up feeling it was too heavy to tote around as well, so I opted for the smaller, lighter Blues Jr (which, with an Ibanez TS9, sounds extremely close to the Vox preamp overdrive).

Ah, you're right. The Blues Jr. is a 12" and the Pro Jr. is 10".

• Members

Can you talk about your requirements a little more? That would help the discussion. Such as:

1. What range of music and tones are you trying to get?

2. Do you need/want reverb or other effects?

3. Do you play on stage? Does it need to be a channel switching amp?

4. Do you use a petal board, or does it need an effects loop?

• Members

Can you talk about your requirements a little more? That would help the discussion. Such as:

1. What range of music and tones are you trying to get?

2. Do you need/want reverb or other effects?

3. Do you play on stage? Does it need to be a channel switching amp?

4. Do you use a petal board, or does it need an effects loop?

Thanks for the good questions.

I play mostly rock, alt-rock, post rock, and indie styles on electric. It's usually lightly overdriven or clean. Recently I've been diggin' sounds like the Killers, Modest Mouse, Against Me, Explosions in the Sky, and Nada Surf. (All very different, I know).

I've been the only guitarist in every project I've been a part of. I play a strat. The eq of my tone is usually focussed on a strong low end, with the bass and mid knobs on the amp turned up about 70 and 80%, respectively, with the highs pulled down a little bit to make room for keys. I like to push the amp until right before the low end starts to break up. When I'm playing with a bassist, however, it's the inverse and I'm playing slightly crunchy high-mids to highs so that we have good separation.

Reverb isn't a requirement, nor are separate channels. I mostly need a good platform (i.e. strong clean tones) to start with. I can add gain with pedals, and reverb if need be. I've played out a few times, looking to continue doing so occasionally in small venues like bars and parties. 20 watts from a tube amp should be more than enough.

I have a pedal board, but don't need an effects loop. I had been running everything before the pre-amp. My setup is tuner > eq (used as boost) > delay > drive > amp.

• Members

Thanks for the good questions.

I play mostly rock, alt-rock, post rock, and indie styles on electric. It's usually lightly overdriven or clean. Recently I've been diggin' sounds like the Killers, Modest Mouse, Against Me, Explosions in the Sky, and Nada Surf. (All very different, I know).

I've been the only guitarist in every project I've been a part of. I play a strat. The eq of my tone is usually focussed on a strong low end, with the bass and mid knobs on the amp turned up about 70 and 80%, respectively, with the highs pulled down a little bit to make room for keys. I like to push the amp until right before the low end starts to break up. When I'm playing with a bassist, however, it's the inverse and I'm playing slightly crunchy high-mids to highs so that we have good separation.

Reverb isn't a requirement, nor are separate channels. I mostly need a good platform (i.e. strong clean tones) to start with. I can add gain with pedals, and reverb if need be. I've played out a few times, looking to continue doing so occasionally in small venues like bars and parties. 20 watts from a tube amp should be more than enough.

I have a pedal board, but don't need an effects loop. I had been running everything before the pre-amp. My setup is tuner > eq (used as boost) > delay > drive > amp.

That has DRRI written all over it. No question. Period.

• Members

About clones. I have a Ceriatone on the way (clone of Marshall's 18W amp from the 70s). I'll report more in a few weeks once it gets here. I know several people here have and can probably clue you in some.

FWIW, the DRRI sounds more up your alley than a Marshall clone.

Archived