When A Guitar's Action Is TOO Low.....

Sigel_TTD

• Members

Is it possible for it to start cutting out sustain as a whole, as well as the ease of pinch harmonics? Just wondering because it seems like I don't get the same response of pinch harmonics on the lower two strings (E, A, D) as I do on the higher three strings. It seems like the pinch harmonics as a whole on the lower strings get cut off and die instantly; they really don't sustain at all. It also seems like my guitar should be sustaining a lot more than it really is.

Simply put, to a certain extent, would raising my action give me a little more sustain as well as more ease with pinch harmonics on the lower strings?

• Moderators

Is it possible for it to start cutting out sustain as a whole, as well as the ease of pinch harmonics? Just wondering because it seems like I don't get the same response of pinch harmonics on the lower two strings (E, A, D) as I do on the higher three strings. It seems like the pinch harmonics as a whole on the lower strings get cut off and die instantly; they really don't sustain at all. It also seems like my guitar should be sustaining a lot more than it really is.

Simply put, to a certain extent, would raising my action give me a little more sustain as well as more ease with pinch harmonics on the lower strings?

I'd try lowering the pickups first. I've only recently found a guitar with an action that I consider too low, an 82 LP Deluxe, so I lowered the pickups and raised the action just a tad, as it was choking bends a bit too much.

I'd suggest just having a play, you can discover some wonderful things when changing pickup heights

• Members

Action could definatly be to low. Well, first off when you start fret buzz then I consider the action to low.

But I have Two Electrics in a PRS and a Tele that the action can be so low without buzzing, that it bothers me. What happens with me, is I have more trouble getting under the string for bends. I have to fight the guitar more, and I don't like it.

But if low. low is your thing? Drop the pups as mentioned.

• Members

Yea I've got some slight buzzing on the lower strings, its not noticeable while playing plugged in but definitely there when unplugged. I do play in drop C (I know, I know) but am using 11-50 DR strings. It sounds like the Low C string it hitting the frets when I palm mute it unplugged, this normal for down tuning? Would raising the action help this problem?

• Members

Yea I've got some slight buzzing on the lower strings, its not noticeable while playing plugged in but definitely there when unplugged. I
do
play in drop C (I know, I know) but am using 11-50 DR strings. It sounds like the Low C string it hitting the frets when I palm mute it unplugged, this normal for down tuning? Would raising the action help this problem?

You know what you do. While your pludded in and hear the Buzz. Raise the action on that particular string till its gone. Then see where your at.

As far as Common? Ya, any string could buzz.

• Members

Action can DEFINITELY be too low. For rhythm: I can't stand it when the strings rattle on the frets and, for lead, I like to be able to get a little fingertip flesh UNDER the string when bending.

Basically: I've found you get the best sound and feel when you use the heaviest strings and the highest action you can comfortably handle.

• Members

Yup, action can get too low. One of my strats have VERY low action, and it's a bit of a problem for sustain when i get caught up in the moment and pick too hard :D Definit string rattle/cutting out then - but then, I could just play properly ;)

• Members

Sometimes I have trouble bending strings when the action is too low. Maybe it's my technique or something, but when the action is too low while I do bends, my finger goes over the the lower strings and it gets really annoying. I've adapted to this by muting the unplayed strings, but I don't have this problem with higher action strings.

• Members

To avoid starting another thread:

The high E string (higher pitch/thinner string) on my Carvin DC400 is giving me some problems. It's like 1 out of every 2 times I go to fret something/grab/bend attempt, etc on it, it sort of slips off of the fretboard, and then just plinks. It's not technique as it's only this guitar that it occurs with. I was wondering is it because the action is to low on that side? Or is it a nut/bridge problem? Frets they're pretty new stainless steel ones?

It's just annoying when i'll be mid-solo and go for the high string and then it'll slip off the frets or i'll attempt to bend and can't get it.

• Moderators

To avoid starting another thread:

The high E string (higher pitch/thinner string) on my Carvin DC400 is giving me some problems. It's like 1 out of every 2 times I go to fret something/grab/bend attempt, etc on it, it sort of slips off of the fretboard, and then just plinks. It's not technique as it's only this guitar that it occurs with. I was wondering is it because the action is to low on that side? Or is it a nut/bridge problem? Frets they're pretty new stainless steel ones?

It's just annoying when i'll be mid-solo and go for the high string and then it'll slip off the frets or I'll attempt to bend and can't get it.

My answer to slipping high E's is to check whether the neck lines up correctly, i.e. does the high E look parallel all the way along the board?

If it does, then I usually cure this by cutting a new nut that puts the low E closer to the edge as low E bends are bent down away from the edge (although, so should high E's, be bent up away from the edge that is;)) and thus the high E comes further away from the edge

Archived