Which is more important in Recording Music? - Style or Fashion???

Bruce Swedien

As a "producer"... I do not know... it depends on the project.

I guess at least a couple of you got some customers some years ago demanding for "the CHER vocal effect" applied into their tunes.

Same happens when they want "that Shakira flavour" or whatever ...

... and that is FASHION.

BUT, When they come to me for my personal touch, I'd say STYLE.

However, my money is put in the fact that BOTH are important. If your style is not fashionable, you're out of business.

... and when you are a GREAT producer, you actually create a new style and it becomes a fashion thing...

• Members
Originally posted by Gus Lozada

As a "producer"... I do not know... it depends on the project.

I guess at least a couple of you got some customers some years ago demanding for "the CHER vocal effect" applied into their tunes.

Same happens when they want "that Shakira flavour" or whatever ...

... and that is FASHION.

BUT, When they come to me for my personal touch, I'd say STYLE.

However, my money is put in the fact that BOTH are important. If your style is not fashionable, you're out of business.

... and when you are a GREAT producer, you actually create a new style and it becomes a fashion thing...

Gus........

You are brilliant!!! YES!!! YES!!! YES!!!

If you are truly a gifted Producer/Engineer you use your own style to create a new fashion statement!

All my favorite projects (Records) that I have done that I find absolutely memorable, (and other folks find memorable as well) are the ones where I was asked to make my own, highly personal statement. AND, I was able to create a new fashion expression of the music at hand!

That's when I brought to bear, what I call, MY SONIC PERSONALITY!!!

Bruce Swedien
:cool::thu::cool:

• Members

It's an old truism... style is what hopefully informs fashion... ("informs" in the sense that it gives fashion form and internal structure/resonance).

Another old truism... virtually ALL new fashion comes up from the street.

And you can certainly see that happening periodically through the pop music history of the last century or two, whether we're talking jazz, jitterbug, rock'n'roll, punk, rap or club music.

• Members
Originally posted by blue2blue

It's an old truism...
style
is what hopefully informs fashion... ("informs" in the sense that it gives fashion form and internal structure/resonance).

Another old truism... virtually ALL
new
fashion comes
up
from the street.

And you can certainly see that happening periodically through the pop music history of the last century or two, whether we're talking jazz, jitterbug, rock'n'roll, punk, rap or club music.

bluey.....

Right you are!

Bruce
:cool::cool::cool::cool:

Archived