The Doors or The Byrds

myshkin

• Members

The Doors first album was a true breakthough that still stands up today. It created an aura that hadn't existed up to that point in the 60s, it was a truly dangerous album in a way that the Stones, Beatles, etc. could never be. Unfortunately, although Strange Days had merit, I think it was mostly downhill from there aside from a few bright spots.

The Byrds crafted a unique sound and actually got better over time. I agree that "Notorious Byrd Brothers" is an incredible album, even "Goin' Back" is exceptional. "Fifth Dimension" was also a standout, albeit a bit more uneven.

For me, they started running out of gas with "Sweetheart of the Rodeo" although that still had a few really good songs. But overall, the Byrds' catalog has a ton of great music in it.

• Members

Growing up back in the day we used to see many a bar band rocikn` out Doors tunes, the chicks would get excited etc...

Nowadays though I would rather listen to the Byrds partly because they were never overplayed in my head & because I like their sound better than the Doors sound.

Gotta respect the Doors though. Jim Morrison was a very good writer and Ray Manzarick (spell ?) did a great job holding it down.

You know the day destroys the night, night divides the day, try to run, try to hide, Break on Through to the Other Side !!

That's a great song.

The Doors had more impact and the chicks still love them.

My wife is 35 & got bored listening to the Chestnut Mare in my car a few days ago. What would she put on instead ? Yup, the Doors

:p

• Members

Originally posted by dahkter

Doors for me,

Had a hippie baby sitter back in seventy eight, brought up on a healthy diet of Doors, Zep and Floyd.

I honestly never was immersed in the Byrds, so am certainly biased. This thread makes me want to go back and check them out (someone please give me three or four songs I should check that proves their point) .

For me, lifelong Doors memories:

- keyboard solo on light my fire, every single note is perfect...

- densmore on absolutely live, lots of good stuff, basic, but strong and dynamic

- kreiger on LA Woman

- the mention of "woke up this morning and I got myself a beer, the future's uncertain and the end is always near" is pretty much a perfect example of Morrison's contribution to rock n roll....

Seems I'm a fan of the Byrds disciples (Stone Roses / Smiths), however I'm definitely unfamiliar with their work, someone please throw me a bone.

EZ

Dahkter

The album for me has to be Notorious Byrd Brothers, while their single masterpiece has to be Eight Miles High. Also the solo work of Gene Clarke who penned Eight Miles High has some great stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=up6Xh3Gme1w

What a f..........g song. Play loud. Along with Tomorrow Never Knows, though not quite in the same league as The Beatles track, the real Pandora's Box moment of the 60s where everything is thrown wide open and all becomes possible. The sound of the video sounds a little dull to my ears but still the excitement of the track is tangible.

• Members

And that biases me. I know the late Gene Clark's family. They're really great people. Sadly, I never got to meet Gene. He died in '91.

The family was trying to put on a tribute festival for years. It always crashed.

But, truth be told, I liked the Byrds from the moment I heard 'em, back in the day. Great songs (even the ones they didn't write), great harmonies, jangly guitars...

That doesn't mean I didn't like the Doors...just not as much as the Byrds. And I never got the "Dark Sainthood" status Morrison's devotees have imparted upon him. (shrug).

• Members

The best Byrds incarnation was that band that Michael Clark went out on the road with. Now appearing with the original instruments...except for Roger's Rick...

And for a little music history lesson the oft' great and always self-referential David Allan Coe:

"They say the Burritos out in Califronia / Could fly higher than the Byrds / Roger McGuinn had a twelve string guitar / It was like nothing I'd ever heard / And the Eagles flew in from the west coast / Like the Byrds they were trying to to be free / And in Texas the talk turned to outlaws / like Willie, Waylon, and Me"

That should clear matters up, don't you think?

• Members

Each band is very different and each band is great in it's own way.... As far as being precursors of country rock and great harmonies, the Byrds definitely rock greatly...

The Doors were very original and Ray Manzarek is one of the great under rated composers of pop music... All the Doors music had great intelligence but at the same time, very easily assimilated by anyone... Manzarek had great musicality... I think it was the only rock band ever where the keyboard player was playing bass AND keyboards... Having Morrison as a singer/frontman was great... Morrison had a unique baritone and he could scream and be musical at the same time... He also wrote interesting lyrics... The Doors have a very unique niche in the evolution of rock music...

• Members

>

Here are four of my faves:

Eight Miles High -- One of the best pieces of popular music of all time, period.

My Back Pages -- A good example of the Byrds turning Dylan into something really melodic and bittersweet.

So You Want to Be a Rock and Roll Star -- Shows off their sense of humor to a "T."

Goin' Back -- An incredibly lush, lyrical song with vocals that sound like they floated down from the sky.

Definitely the Byrds for me... It's the jangle, the descendents (Tom Petty) and the songwriting. I know Morrison is considered to be a great poet, but while I do like some Doors songs, his lyrics and the Doors music in general never spoke to me as much as the music of the Byrds.

Originally posted by myshkin

So are you the proud owner of a Rickenbacker?

Yes indeed - a 1991 Ric 610 in Jetglo:

Rick.610.JG.1.JPG

I purchased it new back in 1991 with some royalties from a Mike Knott album I worked on. We had borrowed a 620 from a friend for the record, and I fell in love with it and had to have one. I originally wanted one in Fireglo, but I couldn't find anyone with one in stock - or any 620's for that matter... but I did find a 610, and I actually am happy I got the one I did. I don't need the stereo output, and I prefer the dot inlays over the shark's teeth. The binding on the 620 is very cool, but OTOH, the body routing on the 610 is actually more comfortable to play for long periods.

And it really is an amazing little guitar. It's quite small, but still has a full scale neck. And while most people do think "Byrds or Beatles" when you say "Ric", and it certainly can give you those jangly tones, I've surprised more than a few rockers with this guitar - run it into a good tube amp and crank it up, and it gets a killer crunch tone. Which on reflection, shouldn't surprise anyone who is familiar with The Smithereens. ;)

Back to the Doors vs the Byrds... I think that "Sweetheart Of The Rodeo" has a lot to do with my opinion. The influence that that album (and Gram Parsons) had on some of the bands and styles I enjoy - the whole country-rock hybrid (and some of the better modern country) IMO stems largely from the influence of Gram and this Byrds album.

Archived