Can I wire my Hamer to get the neck/bridge tones of my 335?

dewees

• Members

I have Seth Lovers in both my 335 and my Monaco Superpro right now. I love the soloed neck and bridge tones I get from both. But the Gibson has this great, twangy neck/bridge tone that's very tweakable with the volume controls. I can't get anything like the same phasey, twangy sound form the Hamer.

The Hamer has separate volume controls but a master tone control. Could this be the problem? Could it be the "custom taper" pots?

• Members

do the pickups have 4 wires?? if so, reverse the black and green wires from one of the pickups and they will be out of phase with each other.

Maybe your 335 is already wired that way??

They're all two-conductor.

Could it be the pots? My 335 has 300K pots. The Monaco's are 500K.

• Members
They're all two-conductor.

Could it be the pots? My 335 has 300K pots. The Monaco's are 500K.

The pots make a difference, the 300k should be a little darker, but it affects ALL positions, so I don't think that's where the problem is.

Quite frankly, I have no idea what the problem could be other than the phase issue I mentioned before :confused: sorry...

• Members

isn't the Hamer a chambered solidbody? IMHO, the twang of the 335 have a lot to do with it's semi construction, and I don't think you can quite get it on a solid, even a chambered one.

That will be an issue, but it sounds like your 335's pickups are wired out of phase with each other. Perhaps take both guitars in to a good repair guy and have him take a look at the wiring. Other than that, I can't think of anything other than the fact that they have different body types.

300k pots leave less treble than 500k pots. But try not to mod your Hamer too much; those custom 500k pots in those guitars are a thing of beauty.

Archived