Advice on a broken a fender truss rod...

guitarchaz

• Members

Just broke one on a older Toronado. Neck is of no use as is now so i figured what the heck, I'll give it a shot. Pulled the neck off and it looks like cutting out the skunk stripe might be the best. Is this true ? I've seen some posts about removing the fingerboard, but I prefer to do my damage on the back if possible. I can clearly access/see the metal anchor at the body end, and have enough clearance to start chipping away at the walnut strip it that's the way to go.

Any recommendations ? Not a standard strat scale so a replacement neck may be hard top come by. Gonna check with fender about pricing and availability. This one's of no use now no matter what so I might as well give it a shot.

Anyone other thoughts or suggestions on the matter ?

Can I replace it with a longer strat scale neck ? What are the issues and considerations there ?

Thanks in advance

• Members

how'd you break it? (just curious)

Overtightened. Had just traded for the guitar knowing it needed some attention. Checked to make sure the adjustemnet at least worked and changed the neck bow before I traded. Got it home and couldn't quite get the neck as flat as I like. Took off the truss rod nut and lubed. Put it back on and tightened till I got some resistance. Still not as flat as I'd like, but not as much resistance as before (I guess because I lubed)...cranked a little morte then "POP!!". Knew instantly what had happened. Nut turns freely, etc. I may get Warmoth to do a custom if I have to. I want to save the guitar. I don't do alt tunings. Just want a standard tuned guitar that I can adjust. I know someone here has surely tackled this.

• Members

A pricy option but it works.

Has anyone used one of these? If so, do they work? A few years ago I was adjusting the truss on my 1955 ES-225 and snapped it. Talk about fast depreciation!!! I'm an amatuer luthier, but couldn't see myself tackling that repair (remove the binding, fretboard, replace truss, replace fretboard, relevel, binding,,,,finishing,,,,,), so I sold the guitar. A month later I saw this tool in Stew-Mac's catalog. {censored}! I think it might have worked.

Archived