Danelectro guitars

D-River

• Members

I am looking for one (maybe the dc 59 reissue) 'cause I've read many good things about these guitars and the price is very low, and I like the fact that sounds really bright, 'cause I use often an Ibanez ad9 analog delay and a russian Big Muff reissue, and both are muddy sounding pedals, and I love them but sometimes I feel a lack of sound definition...but I want to know the opinion of someone that owns the guitar, about the sound (my style consists of alternating shimmering postrock-ish cleans and sonic explosions

• Members

I recently bought a Danelectro '56 RI from a fellow forum member, and I really like it. It's an inexpensively built guitar, but it's solid. Because of their design (hollow inside) and materials (masonite top) they have a distinctive twangy sound, sort of like a Telecaster, but even more metallic sounding. The nut is metal instead of the usual plastic or bone which also adds to the sound. It's not for everybody, but they are unique.

• Members

Here's mine '59 DC. It's my favorite open tuned slide guitar. For a while it was my favorite guitar, but it's shortcomings soon became apparent. Upper neck access is extremely limited and in smaller venues, pickups are microphonic and feedback is always lurking. Still, if you can live with that, one of the best guitars of it's kind for the money!

• Members

All the new reissues come with much better hardware and upgraded pickups, so I would suggest getting the Pro or '59, or there's another reissue that's being released in April.

You can tell the new reissues from the old ones because all the new ones have brushed metal instead of polished hardware.

• Members

I recently bought a Danelectro '56 RI from a fellow forum member, and I really like it. It's an inexpensively built guitar, but it's solid. Because of their design (hollow inside) and materials (masonite top) they have a distinctive twangy sound, sort of like a Telecaster, but even more metallic sounding. The nut is metal instead of the usual plastic or bone which also adds to the sound. It's not for everybody, but they are unique.

It's not just a masonite top, if you open the backplate, you can see that the top, back, and sides are masonite, and the mid-line solid section is laminated masonite too.

It's all masonite. Kinda scary when you think about how cheap masonite is. ;)

• Members

It's not just a masonite top, if you open the backplate, you can see that the top, back, and sides are masonite, and the mid-line solid section is laminated masonite too.

It's all masonite. Kinda scary when you think about how cheap masonite is.
;)

Hmm, my double is plywood with masonite caps - that's consistent with how they were done "back in the day." Trust me, I've had it apart many times.

Double-Dano.gif

The next round of re-issues are based on my fave body style - the Hornet. This is the one they branded as Silvertone Amp-in-Case. They're doing it as a 6, short scale bass, long scale bass and baritone. Wish they were doing it as a 12 as well - that would be the bomb!

Img121.gif

• Members

The next round of re-issues are based on my fave body style - the Hornet. This is the one they branded as Silvertone Amp-in-Case. They're doing it as a 6, short scale bass, long scale bass and baritone. Wish they were doing it as a 12 as well - that would be the bomb!

Img121.gif

i'm considering the baritone version. my other danos are a convertible and a 12 string.

• Members

Img121.gif

Don't you think it needs a duckfoot headstock though?

• Members

Don't you think it needs a duckfoot headstock though?

I don't think that's a deal-breaker. To be "vintage" correct they'd need the duckfoot headstock, short scale and "Silvertone" name. I believe someone else is using the Silvertone brand, I don't care for short-scale and if Evets can save a few bucks and pass along the savings by not retooling new necks, I'm all for it.

Danelectro had about a dozen different headstock designs over the years and I believe the "coke bottle" was the most popular and memorable.

From a functional POV, the duckfoot causes the strings to bend too much for my tastes. Ideally you want your strings to run straight from bridge to machine and the coke-bottle does that about the best of their designs.

Just my opinion, for what it's worth.

• Members

I think the all the Danelectro RI's are some of the greatest bargains today.I have a 90's DC and a 2007 Pro,my DC is about a pound lighter and has a more "jangly" sound.The Pro feels more like a solid body,the pickups are hotter and the bridge makes it sound more stratty. Both sound awesome through a Vox or Fender or vintage amp.

100_1049_edited.jpg

Archived