02/07 Editorial: WOULD THIS BE COOL AT GIGS?

Anderton

• Moderators

I suppose it might sound like a good idea for people who like to buy mp3s, but in reality I don't think it will pan out that way. Two big reasons: one, that's asking people to do a lot of work right at the end of the show. People are lazy, it would be hard to get merch people to do something like that. Second, venues like to get the smelly, noisy people out as quickly as possible once the show is ended. I can't see any venues being happy with a couple hundred people waiting around the merch booth at the end of the show waiting for memory sticks to be made.

Sell it at the merch kiosk with the t-shirts before and during the show. Price includes the overnight shipping.

• Members

I saw just put the name of the band on the stick, and then have a gig database on the website. You could even have a message book for fans to leave their remembrances of the show while they access the metadata for set list and band members.

Fans could post their own artwork for people who want to burn a CD.

Excellent ideas!

• Members

(quote:)
I'm seeing 128MB USB sticks on the web going for $8.50 with custom printing and logos. I imagine if you bought a hundred or a thousand, the price would go down even further. So you sell it for $15-$17, and I think a lot of people would pop to buy it right there, on the spot (instant gratification and all that). (end quote)

I respectfully disagree, but I have to qualify that statement with the fact that no one coming to my shows would probably want a USB stick at $15 -$17 bucks apiece. Also depends on who you're playing for, if it's 15 to mid twenty's crowd, they might be "techie" enough to want, need or know what to do with one. Older crowds especially Country and Blues players, probably far less. The idea in principle sounds o.k., but I think it's a little ahead of it's time. Lastly, the loss of sound quality wouldn't hurt say..a super hard core metal band's sound as much as it would a 'clean' sounding type of music. I personally dislike MP3's (due to sound quality) and don't even own a MP3 player, for that reason alone.

If your name is Clapton, Dylan, etc..with 4 generations of people coming to the shows, you could almost certainly make this idea work. If you're a "no-name" like me, I doubt that it would work at all. But lastly, technology is changing so quickly, I might be totally off base or out of touch with this idea, from a demograhic stand-point. :confused:

• Members

... Lastly, the loss of sound quality wouldn't hurt say..a super hard core metal band's sound as much as it would a 'clean' sounding type of music. I personally dislike MP3's (due to sound quality) and don't even own a MP3 player, for that reason alone....

You're not the only person to mention the sound quality of mp3's. I've never had a quality issue with any mp3 I've ever used, and I used to play them when I DJ'd a nightclub with a loud honking sound system a few years ago. Most people tend to listen to mp3's through earbuds anyway, which negates any quality issues you all think exist.

Personally, I think the idea is great. I think that selling a password that gives them access to online downloads is a great idea. You wouldn't even need to make it expire, they can only download the set that they were at when they bought the password. New show, new password. Plus, after the set you don't need to rush and worry about getting the merch ready. You can relax and worry about it in the morning.

Memory sticks are a cool idea but like others, I feel that logistically it would be an issue (for the time being). You would need a lot of USB hubs and some little application that would automatically copy the files to a newly connected memory stick. It's doable, it just doesn't seem feasible in my head. Maybe I'll change my mind after more thought.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived