Getting drum sound. HELP

• Members

I have never put foam covers on anything (I have no reason to), but if you want to experiment, give it a whirl. I have, however, placed my mics in containers and put tubes over them to give them a strange sort of sound, so hey, if monkeying with the mics gets you where you want to go, I say great!! :D

I am told repeatedly that a Shure SM58 has a foam element inside, but have never taken one apart to verify for myself (I don't own any, so I'd have to take apart someone else's! :D ).

• Members

Ustad, I'm gonna try using the 2 different mics. In my room I have this wardrobe and 2 chester drawers, they are made of planks of wood put together and a cloth covering them. Can I use this to dampen the sound?

I guess it largely depends on what kind of cloth you are using to dampen the sound. If it's thick enough and absorbs enough mid range frequencies, I suppose it would work. I use rolled-up carpet stuck in corners and furniture, like large sofas, and roll up a bunch of blankets and stuff to place in strategic locations. Helps somewhat, but I could definitely stand to treat the room more (a lot of my acoustic treatment stuff burned in a house fire we had months ago).

You should be able to use 2 different mics because you're not trying to recreate true stereo in the sense that any of the three mics are any attempt to recreate the stereo sound stage.

• Members

One more thing...in using the Glyn Johns 3-mic technique, you really need a good sounding room, as it says on the web site (and a good drummer). It doesn't work very well if you don't have those two things. In my case, the weakness is the sound of the room, so when I've used it in the past, I could hear how it could be so much better if I weren't fighting the acoustics of the room, and ultimately went with something more closely approximating a "traditional" close-miced setup.

• Members

One more thing...in using the Glyn Johns 3-mic technique, you really need a good sounding room, as it says on the web site (and a good drummer). It doesn't work very well if you don't have those two things.

Beat me to it, I was going to chime in with this as well. Generally if you look at the way famous engineers recorded stuff, or ask one for advice, they're going to give you advice that assumes a good sounding room with few acoustical problems. It's unlikely they have much experience recording in bedrooms. I've worked in a lot of great rooms but have also worked in a lot of bedrooms, and it definitely requires a different technique!

Traditional stereo overheads usually don't work very well in small untreated rooms. The 3 mic setup can work, but you have to really experiment with the placement. You are just as likely to get the best sound from out in front of the kit or even behind the drummer, as anywhere else... if not more likely.

Also, I don't think any kind of foam, socks, etc. is going to help the C1000. It's not just that the mic is bright, it's "brittle" as in there is audible high end distortion unless you can get a lot of distance from a loud source... in which case the bottom end drops off dramatically (what little of it there is to begin with). You'll have a bit more luck dampening the source - either the drums themselves (which kinda sucks) or the room (better). Putting acoustic foam on the ceiling helps a lot, especially if the room isn't carpeted. Bass traps are the ideal thing for a small room, if you can buy some or make them yourself. Putting a bean bag chair or two behind the drummer, or having bookcases full of books in the room, helps a lot too... anything to break up the reflections.

• Members

Lee I hate to say it but my room is carpeted.........It's almost like God doesn't want me to record. My room has a slanted ceiling on one side also. I could stuff the drawers with carpet and the wardrobe has a lot of clothes in it. I tried the Glyn Jones drum set-up and it sounded pretty good, although the hi-hat kinda overpowered the mic above the floor tom.

• Members

I tried the Glyn Jones drum set-up and it sounded pretty good, although the hi-hat kinda overpowered the mic above the floor tom.

That's largely a function of the drummer. It's the drummer's responsibility to play balanced, particularly when you are using drum techniques such as this. But as the other person said, you can try EQing it out.

• Members

Lee I hate to say it but my room is carpeted.........It's almost like God doesn't want me to record. My room has a slanted ceiling on one side also. I could stuff the drawers with carpet and the wardrobe has a lot of clothes in it.

The slanted ceiling isn't a bad thing... it does break up all the parallel surfaces. If the wardrobe has a lot of clothes in it, leave the doors open. And open all the drawers to varying degrees to break up the flat surface. Put clothes or towels in the drawers if possible.

The carpet on the floor isn't necessarily a bad thing if your problem is that everything's too bright. In a carpeted room I prefer to get a big piece of thick plywood, nail some thin indoor/outdoor type carpet over it (or put a drum rug on it), and put that on the floor with the drum kit on that. But the main thing you want to do is treat the ceiling. Even a few pieces of Auralex type foam on the ceiling should help quite a lot.

The idea is to keep too many reflections from bouncing off all the parallel surfaces in the small room, without making the room totally dead.

I tried the Glyn Jones drum set-up and it sounded pretty good, although the hi-hat kinda overpowered the mic above the floor tom.

Well I think you will have that problem (the high end overpowering the low) so long as 1) you are using the C1000's, 2) you don't put some kind of bass trapping in the room. You can try angling the mic so it's not pointed right at the hi hat, and you can try using darker hats or putting some tape on the hats, and that may help.

• Members

Based on what is being said, overhead may not be the right place to get the sound you want given the room and the kit. A good alternative in the three mic setup would be to have the stereo pair in front of or around the kit. If hi-hat or cymbals is overpowering, this is likely to help. The idea of overheads really is based on having a nice big room where capturing early reflections ADDS to the sound. You might find that putting the mics off to the side or in front of the kit will give you the ability to balance cymbals and drums better. The distance from the cymabls might help offset whatever seems to be saying is the poor sound of the C1000. Another option is to point the mic away from the drums and see what kind of sound you can get off nearby surfaces, this could be really bad, or, surprisingly good.

THe point of my first response was to encourage to you not to try to fulfill any rules or expectations, but to try anything and see what you get. if I recall correctly, the Glyn Jons technique was discovered by accident when a leftover mic by the floor tom was accidently bussed into the drum sound!!

Archived