Little Feat

FlameTree

• Members

Ever hear Robert Palmer's
Sneakin' Sally Through The Alley
? Great album...Lowell was on there, and the Meters were the backing band for the whole record. I'm pretty sure Payne (and probably some of the other guys) makes appearances, too.

Hey hey Julia

You're acting so peculiar

And I know I couldn't fool ya

in a million years...:thu:

Great album, especially the "Sailing Shoes"/"Hey Julia"/"Sneakin' Sally thru the Alley" medley at the start. Palmer's best effort, IMO.

But yeah, Little Feat (Lowell George version) is my favorite band of all time, and I've never heard anybody sound like 'em since. Lowell had great vocal chops as well as guitar.

• Members
Feats Don't Fail Me Now is, for me, the definitive LF record with some spine-tingling slide on Tripe Face Boogie. There isn't a bad track on there; in fact I don't think there's a weak track on
any
Lowell George-era Feat albums.

I'm a huge fan, but I'd have to disagree with you, there....There are, imo, weak tracks on every album AFTER FDFMN (though I do agree with your assessment of it...it's classic).

Down On the Farm has very few moments that are even listenable, for me. He was pretty bad off toward the end, and lost a lot of his "edge" (not to mention having less and less involvement/interest with Feat), bad as it pains me to say it....his solo record was a little too slick for me, too.

But those first 4 albums are all classic, and the rest all had their moments, but it was all a steady descent after FDFMN for them, imo.:(

• Members

I saw em at the Paramount Theater in Austin circa 1976 with Lowell.

Great stuff. Lowell kept asking if Robert Palmer was there and to get his ass on stage. God, they were/are talented and what a unique sound. They were loud but you could pick out everything. Lowell was fat & dressed in overalls.

• Members

I've had the pleasure of seeing Little Feat 3 times....all post Lowell.......and they put on an amazing show of musicianship.....definitely recommended.

8^)

Wade

Saw 'em once with Lowell, a few months before he died. Lowell was in tough shape, Barrere had to carry most of the show.

Saw them with Craig Fuller in the late 80's. It was good, but it seemed like a different band.

• Members
Really? That's almost like saying you don't hear Chuck Berry in Keith Richards's playing....

That's almost always the first element to come up, when most people talk about them...What would you call "Fat Man", for example?

I can't hear Lowell's tenor sounding the first thing like Dr. John, either, though...
:confused:

I can't avoid hearing the Dr. John/Metersyness of stuff like this:
[YOUTUBE]EmG8sdaeCYk[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

I can hear Dr. John in their overall sound...I was just meaning I don't think Lowell's singing voice sounds like Dr. John's. Lowell's voice was a lot higher and smoother....Who was it that referred to Lowell's singing as "White boy got the woo woo's"? Somebody did, but I can't remember who...that always cracked me up, though.

• Members

There's some serious country going on, too..."Willin'", and "Truck Stop Girl" particularly.

Then there's the Zappa association...Lowell George and Roy Estrada left the Mothers of Invention to form Feat with Bill Payne (the keys player...I've heard that he auditioned for the mothers but didn't make it, but I'm not sure if that's true), and Ritchie Hayward.

Roy Estrada left to play with Captain Beefheart (when they got Gradney from Delaney and Bonnie's band...which replaced the band that Clapton stole from them), so there's the wierdo fringe rock thing, too. Particularly lyrically.

Sorry for the rambling history. One of the most criminally overlooked bands of all time, imo.

Good info! That wasn't rambling, in was down right concise.

My drummer and I have joined some transplanted southerners here in NYC who have a very American musical point of view. Seeing that me and him were always more into classic brit rock type stuff (Stones, Bowie etc.) we've had to change our attitude to make it work. We've been taking some inspiration from the southern funk of Little Feat.

This has been a timely thread for me.

• Members
Bonnie Raitt's guitar work is very reminiscent of Lowell George. You might check out some of her albums. I recommend Nick of Time, Luck of the Draw, Green Light

They were pretty tight, in the 70's. Bonnie's on a lot of Feat stuff, singing harmony.

My old roommate (a huge Lowell fan) told me a story about "Rocket In My Pocket". Apparently, Lowell had been holed up in his house for several days, and they couldn't get him to come to the studio and cut the solo for that tune. Bonnie was around, so she recorded one...They called Lowell back and told him not to worry about overdubbing that solo, Bonnie went ahead and covered for him. He was there in minutes, in his robe and slippers, to redo it himself.:lol:

I'd love to see Bonnie tour with the surviving members as a backing band...

Archived