Japan 335 Clones. The Good, The Bad and The Fugly.

housered

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Still tight with THIS --

1981 Ibanez AS50 Mk 1, modded with Trev Wilkinson 'Lemon Drop' PAF-alikes replacing the original Super Distortion-style V2s.

EDIT: The original AS50 was a lovely guitar, and the Mk IIs were even better, since they had PAF-style Super 58s as standard, and also came in red as well as the s/b. Sadly, production shifted to Korea for the Mk IIIs (before the Koreans got their luthier chops together) and went to a bolt-on neck to econonise. In 1981, Ibanez MIJ semis were incredibly well-made -- as good as or better than the Gibsons of the time -- as well as highly affordable, and the non-bling, slightly downsized AS50 was well ahead of its time: downsized 335-alikes are common now, but rare back then. You can occasionally find them on eBay (that's where I scored this) and, as they're not yet the cult guitars they deserve to be, they're generaly still quite cheap. If you can find one, grab it -- and if it's a red Mk II, you'll be (as we say in my contree) laughing.

• Members

My vote goes for any of the MIJ Tokai 335 clones (not the Korean ones)...I just got this last week and it's an awesome guitar...it's got a nitro finish, long pickguard like the early 335s and one thing I really like is the neck angle...the bridge sets really close to the body of the guitar (you still have enough space for adjustment) so you don't have to crank the pickups way past the mounting rings....the electronics are top notch and the Tokai MkII pickups easily sound as good as the Seth Lovers I have on my Edwards Les Paul...I've owned both a Gibson 335 and a Heritage 535 and this guitar easily beats both of them...acoustically it's very loud and resonant...it just rings...and plugged in it's everything you'd want in a 335.:cool:

479f_3.jpg

48b9_3.jpg

DSCN0562.jpg

$1,140 shipped from Japan with a hardshell case.

• Members

Wow, that is unreal value. Beautiful guitar, congrats!

I'm definitely getting an MIJ Tokai next, getting serious GAS about a Gibson-style guitar and they seem to be the best around (that can be had in the UK anyway...)

• Members

Still tight with THIS --

1981 Ibanez AS50 Mk 1, modded with Trev Wilkinson 'Lemon Drop' PAF-alikes replacing the original Super Distortion-style V2s.

EDIT: The original AS50 was a lovely guitar, and the Mk IIs were even better, since they had PAF-style Super 58s as standard, and also came in red as well as the s/b. Sadly, production shifted to Korea for the Mk IIIs (before the Koreans got their luthier chops together) and went to a bolt-on neck to econonise. In 1981, Ibanez MIJ semis were incredibly well-made -- as good as or better than the Gibsons of the time -- as well as highly affordable, and the non-bling, slightly downsized AS50 was well ahead of its time: downsized 335-alikes are common now, but rare back then. You can occasionally find them on eBay (that's where I scored this) and, as they're not yet the cult guitars they deserve to be, they're generaly still quite cheap. If you can find one, grab it -- and if it's a red Mk II, you'll be (as we say in my contree) laughing.

Man! I am diggin' the photos today!

• Members

Wow, that is unreal value. Beautiful guitar, congrats!

I'm definitely getting an MIJ Tokai next, getting serious GAS about a Gibson-style guitar and they seem to be the best around (that can be had in the UK anyway...)

I can't say enough just how good this guitar is...both my Gibson and Heritage had tuning and intonation problems that were never corrected, but this guitar is really rock solid...out of the box the setup was perfect, action was very low with no buzzing and the intonation was perfect. I have an Edwards Les Paul that I didn't think could be beat, but this guitar has done it...though I still love my Edwards.:cool:

• Members

Some purdy guits above!

I have a great 335 copy I think is a MIJ, but I'm not sure. Anyone ever heard of J. Steele? Hard to find anything on these but the guess is its a MIJ rebadged epi from the late 70's or early 80s. Has the "open book" headstock on it.

Bought it for $300 and popped some Seth Lovers in and it's one of my faves. (Pic is with old pups)

3351-1.jpg

• Members

Still tight with THIS --

With you knowledge base, I was kind of hoping that you would join in. :)

• Members

My vote goes for any of the MIJ Tokai 335 clones (not the Korean ones)...I just got this last week and it's an awesome guitar...it's got a nitro finish, long pickguard like the early 335s and one thing I really like is the neck angle...the bridge sets really close to the body of the guitar (you still have enough space for adjustment) so you don't have to crank the pickups way past the mounting rings....the electronics are top notch and the Tokai MkII pickups easily sound as good as the Seth Lovers I have on my Edwards Les Paul...I've owned both a Gibson 335 and a Heritage 535 and this guitar easily beats both of them...acoustically it's very loud and resonant...it just rings...and plugged in it's everything you'd want in a 335.
:cool:

479f_3.jpg

48b9_3.jpg

DSCN0562.jpg

This guitar keep climbing toward the top of my list.

• Members
Some purdy guits above!

I have a great 335 copy I think is a MIJ, but I'm not sure. Anyone ever heard of J. Steele? Hard to find anything on these but the guess is its a MIJ rebadged epi from the late 70's or early 80s. Has the "open book" headstock on it.

Bought it for $300 and popped some Seth Lovers in and it's one of my faves. (Pic is with old pups)

3351-1.jpg

that bridge looks a lot like the ones on late 70's/early 80's ibanez hardtail guitars (ala destroyer/iceman). affiliated perhaps?

• Members

Lets get into the details of Japan made 335 clones. Which are the best, which are the worst, etc.

Let really go into the details, such as, how would one rank the Yamaha SA series, new and old.

Thanks.

The SA2000 came at the same time as the well known SG2000 and was exactly the same price and same quality. Tommy Tedesco played it on countless hollywood gigs. The Sa2200 is played by Frank Gambale who uses two on stage, one with the Roland thing attached to it. I tried the Ibanez John Scofield sig and it was every bit as good as a SA2200.

• Members

Here is my 1981 Ibanez AS50 (Hi, csm!)

DSCF0428.jpg

The story: I was living in Washington, DC, and a buddy of mine called me up one Saturday morning to tell me he was wandering around at Central Market, and found an old guitar I might be interested in.

I went down there, and bought it on the spot.

It was really ragged, however. It used to be S/B, but the previous owner had essentially taken a belt sander to it, ripped off the finish (and about half a layer of laminate), and then redid it in what looked to be spray paint (:freak:). The thing had dried paint runs all over its surface. He also yanked out the PAF's and put in some super-hot mega-distortion pups into it. I took it for a project guitar immediately.

It was a few years before I had the money to do anything, but when I finally got around to it, here's what I did (and some of it, that was beyond my skill level, I had done):

1) stripped the goop off and refinished it with about 40 coats of gun stock oil. I did the neck as well, but sanded it more aggressively, to reduce the profile. I then went over the last coat with 1000 grit to give it a fast matte finish.

2) Replaced the stop tail with a Birdland trapeze. No rhyme nor reason, except that I though it looked cool. :)

3) Redid all the electronics. At the time, I was moving around a lot, and was looking for an all-in-one guitar, so I went hog wild. Put in push/pull minipots for coil tapping and phase cancelling. I'm considering yanking all this crap out and starting over, since I have other guitars that handle the other tonal requirements now.

4) Put a DiM FRED in the bridge and an Air Norton in the neck. Again, thinking about taking them out and putting in 57 Classics instead.

5) Replaced tuners.

6) Chrome pup rings.

7) Just recently, traded a pedal to a forumite here for a nice TOM bridge. I don't think it even appears in the photo yet.

It probably registers a 5.0 on the Fugly scale to you guys, but it's a nice guitar. Very broken in and comfortable, but highly resonant and toney.

Archived