Best Taylor/Martin acoustic guitar under $3,000 (Taylor / Martin)?

joekkl

• Members

When I was shopping for a nice acoustic years ago, I tried every brand I could find at my local stores. Ovations sounded nice when I picked them off the wall, but I already had a bad experience with how they aged and wasn't interested. All the Guilds I tried were dead as a doornail. The Gibsons I played had the same problem as the Guilds...they all seemed to lack resonance (even though the Gibsons looked absolutely wonderful!) Higher end Yamahas were okay...nothing to write home about. Same with Alvarez in the price range you mentioned. Fine guitars, but not worth the price tag on the ones I played.

Taylor and Martin were the two brands that caught my attention based purely on tone and feel. I loved the tone of the Martins, but I picked up a Taylor 514CE (which has a cedar top instead of the usual spruce) and it had this incredibly warm, rich tone. This was quite a bit less "aggressive" than the other Taylors I had played. Not only that, but it's neck was much more comfortable for my small hands than the Martins (I can't remember which models I played, but there were several in the price point you are talking about) and had action so low you would have sworn you were playing an electric. The Martins all sounded wonderful, but they didn't *feel* as good in my hands as the Taylor. In the end, I bought the Taylor and I've never regretted it.

• Members

To me GIBSON's Tone stands out from either Taylor or Martin. I would take a SERIOUS look at the Hummingbird GC has on sale this MTH for $1599.

For the record I also love Taylor and Martin. Just happened to be a Gibson that spoke to me? It might be a Parkwood that speaks to you? Listen to what you ears tell you. Don't be overly concerned about the action. It differs GREATLY with Acoustics and usually can be lowered for easier playing.

man, I would love to get a Hummingbird -- $1599 is a great price!

On another note, I am surprised the Taylor haters havent wandered in. I guess they are busy in "Chinese Manufacturing" thread.

• Members

I would probably second looking outside of Martin and Taylor as well. My friend just picked up a Larrivee that is killer, and it was only about $1000. It absolutely smoked Martins and Taylors at a similar price point - it really wasn't even close. The Larrivee had a beautiful full tone and no mud while the Taylor was tinny and the Martin was boomy. An old roommate of mine had a 700-series Taylor. While it was a beautiful guitar and played amazingly well (as I have found Taylors to do), the tone was nothing special. I'm not a huge fan of my Big Baby either, but it's really just a beater for me.

I think both Martin and Taylor make a nice guitar, but with that much money it makes more sense to look outside of those brands...there are some amazing amazing acoustic builders out there.

• Members

Wow - it really depends on what you are going to be playing. Are you strumming? Fingerstyle? Bluegrass? There is no one guitar that is the "best" for everything.

(Having said that,I guess I'll join the recommendation fest and throw in my support for David Webber if you have a dealer nearby. I absolutely love my cocobolo/engelman roundbody! But it wouldn't be my recommendation for bluegrass.)

• Members

Out of all the Martins, Gibsons, and Taylors I've sampled, the best playing and sounding one was the Taylor 815ce. Played like butter and had beautifully warm and expressive tone. It is however an AE. Now the acoustic I own is my end all of acoustics, and it just happens to be an old 78' Japanese reproduction copy of a Gibson J-200. It plays and sounds better than even that Taylor did and only cost me $250, but sometimes you just luck up.

• 12 years later...
  • Members
On 12/7/2020 at 3:18 AM, Osvaldo correia said:

Nenhuma guitarra taylor tem ppr exemplo a qualidade de uma Martin d28 ou d35 ou ooo 28

Isso não é verdade. As melhores guitarras Taylor são melhores do que as melhores guitarras Martin. Os Taylors também têm uma qualidade mais consistente. A marca Martin é muito popular.

Archived