Epi Dot appreciation thread

ebidis

• Members

Verence,

I mentioned in my post about the BG True90 HB sized P90 pups. I also had SD '59 (neck) and SD PG (bridge) combo in a Washburn semi that I was very happy with. The SD's were a bit too rock oriented for what I'm looking for in a 335 guitar and I didn't get along with the neck. It did rawk though. :rawk: id-man has it now.

But as you pointed out, the stock Epi pups are fine for now so I don't feel a big need to upgrade them at the moment. It's more of a curiosity thing brought on by Electric Blues' posts about his Sheraton True90 pup upgrade...

By the way, as much as I like my uniquely finished Dot (I have yet to see another Dot in that really dark SB), I think all the cherry finished Dots posted above are awesome. Everyone who doesn't have a 335 semi should definitely get one.

• Members

Has anyone felt the need to upgrade pups? I haven't yet, but might in the future.

If so, what did you switch to and how do you like them?

I don't have a dot per se, but I do have an asian made 335 knock off (can't tell if it's MIJ or MIK as it's about 20 years old and a random name "J. Steele"). Bought it used a little over a year ago and it's a great guitar. But teh stock pups were just OK. Popped some Seth Lovers in it and it's an incredibly articulate and full guitar now. Love those Seth Lovers!

Here it is with one of my Strats (before pup change)

335andStrat.jpg

• Members

I have the "Black Beauty" but it's been sitting in my case for a few months. Stock pickups are not hot enough for me. Do any of you know if i can pop in some Gibson Burstbuckers or 490R-498T pickups into my Black Beauty without a major internal overhaul. I can solder and that's about it! Any help would be great.

Archived