NEED TO "SETUP" MY GRETSCH ANNIVERSARY

bmast160

• Members

I got a lime green gretsch annivesary recently

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gretsch-Guitars-G6118-Anniversary?sku=517769

how do i know if it's "setup" correctly...do most new guitars need to be setup...i've never done it myself...always taken it to someone to do...he does a great job but i'd rather save some money...is it hard to do...how do i know what to do...what to look at...what to adjust...

• Members

If it plays fine and you like the action, don't touch anything.

Otherwise the other things you can check are the neck and the action. My way of checking the neck is by pressing the low E string at the first and last fret. You should have a little relief of about .011(the size of the B string) at the 8th fret, It's nothing scientific and i's not the same for every one, just how I do it. If you have to much relief you tighten the trussrod, just remember to make small ajustements, usually 1/4 of a turn then let it rest for 24 hours before another adjustement.

for the action you just raise or lower the bridge to your liking, just don't lower it to the point you will get fretbuzz.

the rest of the guitar should be fine, if it's not then send it back, it's a new guitar and those 2 things should be the only things that might need a little tweaking.

Enjoy your new guitar

• Members

I would just adjust the bridge to a height that comfortable enough to play without a lot of buzzing for your style. You shouldn't adjust the truss rod yourself. Maybe just check the amount of relief and if there's to much or none take it to a guitar store for that. There's a special tool involved that's probably included in the case.

• Members

If you want to learn to do it yourself, get a book. Dan Erlewine has written a couple of good ones, one of which is titled "How to Make Your Electric Guitar Play Great". I generally like to do my own work, but I hesitate to do much on my Gretsch 120th Anniversary, mostly because of the floating bridge.

100_0212.jpg

D

• Members

Whoo Anniversaries!

The bridge isn't a big problem. If you've already got it intonated and are worried about it moving on you, lightly tape it in place with a piece of scotch tape before you slack any strings. Bridge height is adjusted by the wide thumbscrews on either end of the bridge.

gretschcloseup.jpg

• Members

I'm with the others.

If it feels good to you don't mess with it.

The floating bridge does affect your intonation if it moves.

If you've never done a set up before take it to a tech and ask if you can be there when he does the setup.

Also buy Earlwines book.

Best thing you can do if you want to start working on your own stuff.

Best $20.00 you can spend.

If you don't get it set up and want to change strings.

Change one at a time.

That way the bridge will stay put.

Oh, Congrats.

That's a beautiful guitar.

You're going to love it.

Can you expand on the E string a bit?

Mine rings a little bit when I hit hard too.

I just ignore it.

No big deal.

• Members

I'm with the others.

If it feels good to you don't mess with it.

The floating bridge does affect your intonation if it moves.

If you've never done a set up before take it to a tech and ask if you can be there when he does the setup.

Also buy Earlwines book.

Best thing you can do if you want to start working on your own stuff.

Best $20.00 you can spend.

If you don't get it set up and want to change strings.

Change one at a time.

That way the bridge will stay put.

Oh, Congrats.

That's a beautiful guitar.

You're going to love it.

Can you expand on the E string a bit?

Mine rings a little bit when I hit hard too.

I just ignore it.

No big deal.

e string hits one of the two screws (the two screws directly under the e string on the neck pickup) if i hit the low notes hard...not sure if its cause im using 11's(strings) on it...anyone know what strings come on it stock...brand and gauge?

• Members

e string hits one of the two screws (the two screws directly under the e string on the neck pickup) if i hit the low notes hard...not sure if its cause im using 11's(strings) on it...anyone know what strings come on it stock...brand and gauge?

I think .12s' are stock.

Are you talking the pole piece on the pickup, or the adjustment screw?

Archived