My First Pickup Thread ....

FUBTAG

• Members

I think.....

I was wondering if anybody here have put an SD "Everything Axe" set in their strat, and if so -- what did you feel was the best fit for pot size? I was thinking of putting this set in a strat I am having built. I know I will not get the classic strat sounds (close but no cigar)... but I am thinking 'versatility' more than anything. I am not sure I even like the looks of them -- defintiely not your father's set of pole pieces!

Thoughts or comments?

• Members

I think.....

I was wondering if anybody here have put an SD "Everything Axe" set in their strat, and if so -- what did you feel was the best fit for pot size? I was thinking of putting this set in a strat I am having built. I know I will not get the classic strat sounds (close but no cigar)... but I am thinking 'versatility' more than anything. I am not sure I even like the looks of them -- defintiely not your father's set of pole pieces!

Thoughts or comments?

I had a Duncan vintage rails in the middle pup position of an old Guild solid body. The Rails is basically a blade version of the duck-bucker. The volume pot in the Guild is your standard 250k deal. It was very bright sounding with a nice vintage 50's Fender single coil "vibe" with just about zero hum. Very Buddy Holly.

The Guild is a short scale mahog / mahog with rosewood board with a fixed bridge. What surprised me was how bright it was considering the guitars spec's. I wonder if it will be way too bright in a long scale strat type.

• Members

I had a Duncan vintage rails in the middle pup position of an old Guild solid body. The Rails is basically a blade version of the duck-bucker. The volume pot in the Guild is your standard 250k deal. It was very bright sounding with a nice vintage 50's Fender single coil "vibe" with just about zero hum. Very Buddy Holly.

The Guild is a short scale mahog / mahog with rosewood board with a fixed bridge. What surprised me was how bright it was considering the guitars spec's. I wonder if it will be way too bright in a long scale strat type.

Thanks for your response. Ash body with maple neck and wilkinson low profile trem is what this is going in..

I know this has been beat to death... but does 500k and 1000k pots make pups sound less bright?

Anyone else have any input?

• Members

But......
:(
what is an Everything Axe set?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Seymour-Duncan-Everything-Axe-Single-Coil-Set?sku=300068

frankly, I think it would sound kick ass.

I wouldn't bother changing the stock Strat pots, unless there's actually something wrong with them. I didn't change the pot in my Strat when I put the Lil'59 in the bridge...

• Members

I've got the jbjnr and lil59 but not the duckbucker in mine. Love them both. For tone control, just keep the same pots. I've got a master TBX and a tone bypass switch in mine for that little bit of extra output, but I've got a bit tired of the TBX so will change it for a standard tone control and change the switch to a coil tap or phase switch of some description.

At some point I'll get the duckbucker to complete the set I think.

• Members

It's for a build -- not a replacement. The descriptions sound great -- and f course -- I know I can always switch them out if I don't like 'em -- but they are expensive.. even at builder cost.

Thanks for the explanation on pots-- basically go with 250k to keep it from being too bright...

Archived