How does fretboard wood affect your tone

jroutley

• Members

cos i was playing yesterday and i realised that when i fret a note, the string dosent touch the actual fretboard.

I use 12s on a LP.

If they don't touch, whats the point of scalloping frets?

and how does the 'board wood affect the tone?

is it the string vibration passing through the fret into the wood?

thanks

• Members

It has a huge, critical effect on tone. Without a fretboard, you'd have no place to install the frets. Then we'd all have to reconsider our proficiency for the instrument. Perhaps this is not a bad thing.

You are correct in that the string never touches the fretboard. However, it's the fretboard that gets scalloped, not the frets. The finger can touch the fretboard, and scalloping will reduce or eliminate that contact.

• Members

Board wood doesn't effect tone much. Many will argue that this isn't true. Ignore them because they are wrong.

Yeah I hear very little difference in fret woods honestly. They do all feel quite different though but tonally I hear nada.

• Members

It has a huge, critical effect on tone. Without a fretboard, you'd have no place to install the frets. Then we'd all have to reconsider our proficiency for the instrument. Perhaps this is not a bad thing.

You are correct in that the string never touches the fretboard. However, it's the fretboard that gets scalloped, not the frets. The finger can touch the fretboard, and scalloping will reduce or eliminate that contact.

Strings can and do come into contact with the fretboard. For example.... I have guitars with small "vintage" style frets and the strings are def' coming into contact with the board.

• Members

I'm not sure how it all works, but switching necks makes a big difference in tone. So, I know the overall neck affects tone. Therefore, I conclude that the whole neck wood together affects tone.

But, I'm not sure how to evaluate a hybrid neck like my Parker covered in resin & glass. I'm not completely happy with the tone of this guitar...yet. I hope that a pup swap will bring a better sound. However, I am wondering if the lack of wood on the fretboard may be holding it back. :idk:

• Members

On smaller frets you will have to push into the wood. The point of scalloping if you are playing on one of those guitars, vibrato and bending can be more difficult because you are actually touching the board.

The fretboard wood does have a small effect on tone. Not huge but there is some.

• Members

Beyond the obvious answer (playing style), here are the influences on your sound, in order:

1. Amp, speakers & effects

2. Pickups & electronics

3. Strings

4. Body tonewood

5. Bridge, nut, and frets

5. Neck mounting method (set vs. bolt-on vs. through-the-body)

6. Neck materials

Now, before you spend any money customizing a neck, is everything else on that list the best it can be for your desired sound? If not, your money is better spent elsewhere.

The strings are the cheapest upgrade you can do, and make a huge difference.

Pickups are also a relatively inexpensive tweak.

If you didn't spend as much on your amp as you did on your entire guitar, you're doing it wrong.

If you're at the point where you are worried about the tonal qualities of fretboard wood... You must be either very close to GAS nirvana, or else your priorities are a little off.

Maple looks pretty on strats & teles. Rosewood looks good on almost everything else. Ebony is also cool. Don't worry about it beyond that.

Archived