isnt the Marshall JMP-1 just a solid state amp?

hondro

• Members

o.0

The JMP-1 is a tube preamp....

There are tube power amps that are rackmountable....

Are you pulling our legs....?

You are aren't you.....I knew it.......ah, well.......

As far as solid state sucking....most of those great pedals that guitarists stick in front of their tube amps are........wait for it........solid state. But you knew that didn't you...........lol.

• Members

well the way I look at it. The chassis on a head is not the same size as a Rack shelf

I dont know how it works. I'm curious.

The... head and rack aren't the same. The head is a full amp (pre-amp and power... in... a head), where as the rackmount is just the preamp, rackmountable, and intended to be coupled with a rackmount power amp.

• Members

Think of it like a PA system.

Some PAs are one unit, one box, a head, if you will... They've got the mixing board (pre-amps) and power amp all built into one. Some even have the speakers built in (a combo).

Others, especially those used at big venues, seperate those for more versatility... individual pre-amps plugging into a main board, where they can all be mixed down and sent to the power amp, which powers the speakers.

• Members

ok - I much prefer solid state "clean sound" to tube. As far as overdrive goes tube good, SS ok; but the irony here is most people put a solid state OD pedal under the guitar and play thru the clean channel on tube amps anyway, hello solid state overdrive.

• Members

ok - I much prefer solid state "clean sound" to tube. As far as overdrive goes tube good, SS ok; but the irony here is most people put a solid state OD pedal under the guitar and play thru the clean channel on tube amps anyway, hello solid state overdrive.

I'm aaaaaaaaaall amp, man. Never understood this philosophy, either.

Our drummer always brings out his Metal Master. "Dude, it sounds so heavy!" :freak:

• Members

my big muff sounds better through my Orange than my Marshall MG15DFX

• Members

JMP-1 is a rack mounted, programmable Marshall Valvestate preamp. That's all. Most of the distortion comes from solid state diodes. There's a valve (tube) on the overdrive channel to warm it up a bit.

Funny how it sounds so good...

• Members

that is fundamentaly wrong, and shows you dont know what an overdrive pedal is, or how amps work.

Its people who put overdrive pedals in front of SS amps who dont get it.

The point of an OD pedal is to slam your pre tubes and get more of the amps natural distortion.

Granted many OD pedals today (tubescreamer to name one) are marketed as giving you "tube like overdrive" but thats just completely off the point.

You are thinking of a distortion pedal.

Even if you put a diode based distortion pedal in front of a tube amp, its still going to go through a tube pre and tube POWER AMP, so HELLO TUBE TONE after all!

• Members

I'm aaaaaaaaaall amp, man. Never understood this philosophy, either.

Our drummer always brings out his Metal Master. "Dude, it sounds so heavy!"
:freak:

your drummer is using distortion pedals on his drums?

:confused:

Damn... thats pretty BRVTAL :evil:

• Members

this should blow his mind even more. take away the tubes in a head and what's left? solid state circuitry!

Umm....no, not necessarily. Unless it's a hybrid with transistors or chips, there are no solid-state components in a tube amp. Resistors, capacitors, trensformers, inductors, etc. don't qualify as solid-state components.

• Members

Umm....no, not necessarily. Unless it's a hybrid with transistors or chips, there are no solid-state components in a tube amp. Resistors, capacitors, trensformers, inductors, etc. don't qualify as solid-state components.

What about the rectifier :cop: I'd put money on the fact that there are more valve amps out there with a Solid State rectifier than a valve rectifier.

As for modern amps, almost all will have solid state components, many will have intergrated circuits for driving things like FX loops, channel changing logic etc.

Damnit, amps like the Marshall JVM and HK Switchblade even have Digital reverb!

• Members

that is fundamentaly wrong, and shows you dont know what an overdrive pedal is, or how amps work.

Its people who put overdrive pedals in front of SS amps who dont get it.

The point of an OD pedal is to slam your pre tubes and get more of the amps natural distortion.

Granted many OD pedals today (tubescreamer to name one) are marketed as giving you "tube like overdrive" but thats just completely off the point.

You are thinking of a distortion pedal.

Even if you put a diode based distortion pedal in front of a tube amp, its still going to go through a tube pre and tube POWER AMP, so HELLO TUBE TONE after all!

a thousand bucks says you wouldnt be able to tell the difference. It was done on the amp forum a couple yrs ago and 99% didnt get it right. Thats when I came over to the guitar forum. Listen to clips from Steel Cage.

• Members

What about the rectifier

That's why I said 'not necessarily'. There are plenty of 'boutique' amps out there that are ptp wired, all-tube designs, and the older 'vintage' Fender/Marshall amps had no solid-state components.

I guess my point was this - if it ain't got an active silicon device in it, there's nothing 'solid state' about it. There are plenty of newbs and tinkerers on this site who would have mistaken the original statement to mean that any component that isn't a tube is solid-state.

• Members

a thousand bucks says you wouldnt be able to tell the difference. It was done on the amp forum a couple yrs ago and 99% didnt get it right. Thats when I came over to the guitar forum. Listen to clips from Steel Cage.

thats so absurd I dont even know why Im responding, but why the hell would anybody try to make an objective idea about tone based on INTERNET clips done by amatuers???

Im going to say something I dont say very often, but that is absolutely RETARDED

• Members

What about the rectifier
:cop:
I'd put money on the fact that there are more valve amps out there with a Solid State rectifier than a valve rectifier.

and I will take that as a kindness, Im not a fan of tube rectos at all.

Not to mention their impact is more on dynamics, than timbre.

Not to imply that its not a part of "tone" but a saggy attack isnt something I seek in my tone.

Archived