Gibson Les Paul Custom going out of tune, a lot

FinchTheory

• Members

Hey I got a brand new Gibson Les Paul Custom Shop for Chirstmas and everything has been great up until this week. I had the same strings on her for a while and just last week she started going out of tune a lottt. I figured I need to change the strings so I did, but this didn't fix the problem.

Because the new strings weren't doing any better I changed them again and for some reason the guitar still goes out of tune a lot. I have to retune after every 1 or 2 songs and it's really getting on my nerves.

Now my question is, is it the tuning knobs that or no good? Or do I need to get my guitar set up? The action on my guitar is really good right now and there's no fret buzz, only problem being going out of tune. Please help :(

• Members

Geeze man, you got a Gibson Les Paul custom shop for christmas?:eek::eek:

Did it come with tools and employees and everything?:confused:

Holy crap.:eek::eek:

Now THAT is a present!!!!!:thu::thu:

We are definitely going to need to see pics of this!!!!

• Members

Are the strings properly stretched?

Are the strings binding at the nut? (audible pinging when you tune up or down are an indication of binding or sticking at the nut).

After I string the guitar I pull up from the center of the fretboard for 10 seconds on each string a couple of times. Is that not the correct way?

I don't know what you mean about the binding at the nut, but the tuners are giving me trobule cause some times when you wind the tuner up and down it doesnt change the pitch of the string.

• Members
When I was a kid, I told my parents I wanted a Mickey Mouse outfit for Christmas.

They said O.K. "We will buy you Harmony Central."
:lol:

You're not funny. If you have a suggestion say it, if not go make cheesey jokes in another thread. Thanks.

• Members

After I string the guitar I pull up from the center of the fretboard for 10 seconds on each string a couple of times. Is that not the correct way?

I don't know what you mean about the binding at the nut, but the tuners are giving me trobule cause some times when you wind the tuner up and down it doesnt change the pitch of the string.

I usually keep stretching until it finally stays in tune, even after bends.

The last part of your post indicates that the strings are sticking in their slots.

• Members

I would recommend taking it to a tech unless you feel confident enough to tackle it yourself. Basically you need to widen the slots that the strings are resting in so that they move freely when you bend a string.

OR, before you go through all that, just try a little pencil graphite in the fret slots for lubrication. It is a common fix.

Now, back to the silly unappreciated jokes......

• Members

OR, before you go through all that, just try a little pencil graphite in the fret slots for lubrication. It is a common fix.

Now, back to the silly unappreciated jokes......

(smacks forehead)

totally forgot about that...must've been that last toke......

what was I saying?

• Members

I'll try that, thank you. Do you think it'd still be wise to get the guitar set up, even though the fret action is good.

I would, personally. Have it setup with your preferred choice of strings and once it's done, as long as you use the same gauges over and over, it will only require minor tweaks once in a while. Just my experience.

• Members
I'll try that, thank you. Do you think it'd still be wise to get the guitar set up, even though the fret action is good.

If the fret action is good and the intonation is accurate you don't need a setup. If anything you may need your nut slots adjusted or even a new nut cut.

Oh and lighten up.:thu:

• Members

Could also be the weather changing. I'd go with the nut first, but as the temperature changes the wood is going to settle differently and it could just be the neck moving a bit.

I can't say for sure that it would do it more on a new guitar, but it may be more noticeable when it happens. I know that if I keep my guitars next to an exposed wall in the winter and then pick it up to play it that after a few minutes I have to retune it and then it is fine until I put it back.

Archived