First Act

GretschGuy

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by warriorxtman

Batotman, I lifted for bodybuilding 15 out of the past 19 years. I can only guess what ruined your pituitary. I quit lifting 3 and a half months ago to do a complete switch over to guitar playing. I kind of fell like I've "been there, done that" with b/building.

Time for something new and I'm positive I will do this just as dedicated as I did lifting.

Dianabol and Test! So no more guessing!!! Wasn't even on it very long but some people just aren't good for it.

:(

But yeah I do feel been there done that but at the same time I'm wanting to get in better shape and quit smoking so I can sing and play harder.

• Members

Originally posted by batotman

What I don't get is how a guy almost 50 years old can be in such shape!

:eek:

Hey I'm 45...I still run every day, though not as competitively as I used to. I did manage to qualify for the Boston Marathon this year though, so I got to run it a couple of months ago. What an awesome experience! I still work out in the dojo too each week; usually I'm sparring people half my age.

The biggest difference I've found is that I can't stack up "hard days" like I used to. When I was 25 I could do speed work on the track one morning, an eight mile training run that evening, and a race the next morning. Now it takes me 2-3 days to recover from each hard effort. So I train hard one day, train easy the next couple of days, train hard, lather, rinse, repeat.

I play on a recreational softball team still to; I played full-tilt baseball in an adult league up until about five years ago. The only secret I've found is to just get out there. The more you lay around in your youth, the harder it will be to get started as you age. Start early and don't stop!

~Blackbelt

• Members

Originally posted by jjpistols

And the "Gretsch Guy thinks Tae Kwon Do is for pussies" thread?

Hey I missed that one.

Tae Kwon Do is a great art that lays a nice foundation for other more intricate arts. It's not really a great close quarters art, but then again it isn't meant to be. Need to mix in some Kendo for that.

~Blackbelt

• Members

The whole concept of starting out selling $29 guitars (which I just bought for my 6 year old btw) and then selling $2000 custom guitars with the same name on them is totally against all business strategies they teach you in school. Just check out what other companies do-start high, then you can always come out with a budget model that people will buy because it has the same name on it. Since they started out low, I'm guessing they never really planned on going to high end guitars until later. I sounds like their upper end ones aren't what they need to be for that price though, not to mention the fact that no one wants to spend $2500 on a guitar and have everyone think it came from Wal Mart. Ever thought of changing the name??:rolleyes:

• Members

Originally posted by Blackbelt1

Hey I missed that one.

Tae Kwon Do is a great art that lays a nice foundation for other more intricate arts. It's not really a great close quarters art, but then again it isn't meant to be. Need to mix in some Kendo for that.

~Blackbelt

Yeah - it was just a Korean thing ;)

Don't kick me! :eek:

• Members

Colorsound,

It is on Boylston Street right across the street from Lord and Taylor. There is a big mall across the street. While I was with one kid getting a $400.00 guitar Mrs. Gretschguy and my other daughter went shopping so it worked out well.

745 Boylston Street

Boston, MA 02116

T: 617-226-7888

F: 617-226-7890

• Members

Originally posted by GretschGuy

Colorsound,

It is on Boylston Street right across the street from Lord and Taylor. There is a big mall across the street. While I was with one kid getting a $400.00 guitar Mrs. Gretschguy and my other daughter went shopping so it worked out well.

745 Boylston Street

Boston, MA 02116

T: 617-226-7888

F: 617-226-7890

Thanks. I did a search and found that their corporate offices are in Newton. I will have to go check them out. So they are carrying mid-level to high level guitars in this store?

• Members

The store I went to was in Boston on Boylston street. They had guitars from like 300.00 - 3000+. It was pretty cool. I didn't think the $3000.00 models were that much better than the $300.00 ones.

Go check it out and report back.

I's a cool concept of a store.

• 8 months later...

Originally posted by batotman

This child seems to be happy about the guitar they just completed making for some american capalitistic bastard!

yewon.jpg

Yeah I know Korea is quite a bit like the US and not like China with kids working in sweat shops. Still it was funny.
:D

Wet my pants funny!!!!!

:D :D :D

• Members

sadly, the real reason for the fun behind this thread is totally lost on you folks that were not members at the time it was started. Much of this has to do with who is participating, past history and not the actual subject matter.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Originally posted by kimbal

Ya, I don't get the joke
:confused:
but anyway the Lola, delia and the shenna all look good. I guess no one knows the cost or have played one ?

The stock Delia is $2200. They're made by a former Gibson CS luthier. If it had a Gibson headstock, it would cost at least $3200. The build quality is there, and the tone is there in spades.

I had one built with different features than stock...Bigsby, Fralin pickups, larger "R9-ish" neck profile, rosewood board with dots instead of ebony with anvils, TonePro's Bridge, and Sperzel locking tuners, and it came in right around what you'd expect to pay for a new Historic 335. Here's aphoto album

http://s44.photobucket.com/albums/f6/robwesterman/Delia/

I love it, but I prefer bigger necks. I play "baseball-bat" (.905 - 1.00) necks, and while the R9-ish neck isn't small by any standards, it's smaller than what I'm used to. Still, the tone of this guitar keeps it in my hands. Quite simply one of the nicest hollowbodies available today IMHO.

A shame that so many people associate First Act with cheap import guitars, because their Custom Shop is easily on par with anything coming out of the Fender or Gibson CS.

• Members

Originally posted by Taurus Junkie

A shame that so many people associate First Act with cheap import guitars, because their Custom Shop is easily on par with anything coming out of the Fender or Gibson CS.

I don't know about the quality of their guitars, but a friend of mine works at a music shop that does a lot of school band business, and he says First Act is "ruining" the industry because they put out really low-cost band instruments that lure parents in, but the quality is so {censored}ty that they're virtually unrepairable.

Plus, I'd also add that I don't really want/need to guy guitars at Walmart. Their high-end stuff might be really nice, but they don't do themselves any favors by associating themselves with bottom-dollar retailers.

Archived