Black Crowes gig report from the Brixton academy

Vince

• Members

And yes, I know this is a cross post, but I thought you guys might appreciate it here too!

The new guitarist (Luther Dickinson) was playing some great lead and slide all night long, Chris' voice was on good form, and the keyboard player was fine too!

Looked like an early JCM800 alongside a plexi for Luther Dickinson and a Harry Joyce and a Plexi for Rich. Gold Top Les paul, Zematis, 335 and Tele's (with mini humbucker in the neck) for Rich Whilst Luther Dickinson was rockin' multiple Les Pauls, Strats and Teles.

Couldn't see the pedal boards (sorry) but I think Luther had a King of Tone unless you can think of another purple pedal with 2 sets of big black knobs? No, neither can I!

Oh yes, the setlist:

Wounded Bird

Sting Me

Wah led Instrumental Jam

Black Moon Creeping

Seeing Things

Walk believer Walk

Poor Elijah (A Robert Johnson number I think)

My Morning Song with an extended jam in the middle going into I wish I was a Catfish, back into My Morning Song.

Wiser Time

By Your Side

Oh Josephine

Huge feedback/volume swells with delay intro into Thorn in My Pride with Drum solo and Harmonica Solo.

Goodbye Daughters of the revolution

Jealous again

Remedy (Huge)

Encore:

God's got it

I Don't Know why (From Clapton's first solo album apparently)

Sometimes Salvation.

Anyway, I'm off to let my ears stop ringing!

• Members

What happened to Robinsons Bro on guitar? Hope they just added a second. I remember hearing about them letting the other 2nd guitarist go in the mid 90's due to drug problems, but the Crowes have been known to party hard and not show it.

• Members

What happened to Robinsons Bro on guitar? Hope they just added a second. I remember hearing about them letting the other 2nd guitarist go in the mid 90's due to drug problems, but the Crowes have been known to party hard and not show it.

He mentioned him in the OP. He said Rich played a Plexi.

• Members

I saw them in Charlotte. Singer looked like crackhead Jesus! And the stage sound was so loud that it all blended into white noise! I like being able to hear much more than seeing them again. Robert Randolph opened for them and he was AMAZING. Had a cool red sparkle tele too. But they were soooooo very high! it was awful.

• Members

Rich Robinson's always been there, and still is. If Chris and Rich aren't both there, it ain't the Crowes. Marc Ford was the guitarist (generally lead, while Rich is generally a rhythm/riff guy, though not set in stone) from the second album (The Southern Harmony and Musical Companion) through the 4th (Three Snakes and One Charm). He was then, as you say, fired for drug problems, and Rich was the only guitarist on By Your Side.

They hired Audley Freed for the tour, and he was with them through Lions, and the tour after that. That's when they went on hiatus.

The reformed after a few years off, with Marc Ford back on guitar. He played a couple of tours with them, then left a while back because he was apparently afraid he'd fall off the wagon if he stayed on the road w/ the Crowes (from what I understand).

He was replaced by Luther Dickinson, who is on the new album, Warpaint.

Thanks for the report, Vince. How was Luther on "Sometimes Salvation"? Ford's original take of that on SHMC is one of my favorite guitar solos ever, by anybody.

• Members

I've been diggin on Luthers playing pretty heavy for the last couple of years. Go get some North Mississippi Allstars where he rips it with reckless abandon.

Slide monster in my opinion.

Ford is awesome

Audley Freed is an absolute monster too. I love me some Cry Of Love. He had the touring gig with the dixie chics last i heard.

Oh..and the Crowes are great.

Archived