$400 Gibson SG Standard - whatcha think?

HOMER308

• Members

Damn -

Check out this Gibson SG Standard - these guys got this guitar for a song but it was BAD - they say they have repaired it (two neck cracks which look like they went THROUGH the fretboard) - take a look at this pic - I don't think that bridge and the pickup clearance are normal are they?

a5f4_3.JPG

The listing is here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/LEFT-HANDED-GIBSON-SG-1997-GUITAR_W0QQitemZ330227332213QQihZ014QQcategoryZ155301QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

• Members

Damn -

Check out this Gibson SG Standard - these guys got this guitar for a song but it was BAD - they say they have repaired it (two neck cracks which look like they went THROUGH the fretboard) - take a look at this pic - I don't think that bridge and the pickup clearance are normal are they?

a5f4_3.JPG

The listing is here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/LEFT-HANDED-GIBSON-SG-1997-GUITAR_W0QQitemZ330227332213QQihZ014QQcategoryZ155301QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I would not buy it.

Gibsons are much more valuable than their Epiphone counterparts when they are in good condition.

But a Gibson with neck cracks, a goofy bridge, and all that pitting? You're probably better off with an Epi.

Watch the "HOT DEALS" thread for another G-400 to go on sale. (Or, since you don't seem to care how it looks, buy that Pirates one for dirt cheap!)

• Members

There was a thread about the bridge height the other day - when you wrap your strings over the bridge when stringing like this guy does, a lot of people lower the bridge all the way down so the break angle of the strings is the same as it would be if you used the "standard" string straight through the bridge method. Neck breaks may be a deal breaker (no pun intended), and probably would be for me, but the bridge and pup heights are no issue at all.

• Members

I think I would have to pass on this one too. I could handle a broken neck and beat up. But you are buying this based on pictures. I would want to play and feel it and look at the work close up. That is hard to do on Ebay.

• Members

Nah, I wasn't gonna buy that Gibby, but thought it interesting that there are people on EBay buying equipment, "repairing" it, and then reselling it - hell, the NEXT seller might not even quote the fact that there is damage at all, and since the refinish hides the fact (cracks), it makes it even harder to buy equipment on FleaBay!

Hot Deals rarely come up for us lefty players (we usually pay a premium on any equipment, but I DID score a Washburn WI66Pro for $299 last year so it DOES happen I guess!), so we have to dig a little deeper for a deal.

In that light, I'm close to finalizing a deal exactly as you suggested - a pristine 2004 Epi G-400 in Heritage Cherry (lefty - natch!) - will post pics if I score and when it shows up! :thu:

G-4001.jpg

I would not buy it.

Gibsons are much more valuable than their Epiphone counterparts
when they are in good condition.

But a Gibson with neck cracks, a goofy bridge, and all that pitting? You're probably better off with an Epi.

Watch the "HOT DEALS" thread for another G-400 to go on sale. (Or, since you don't seem to care how it looks, buy that Pirates one for dirt cheap!)

• Members

Excuse me if this is a noob response!

I can see your point about dropping the tailpiece to keep the action right when doing that wraparound, which this guy has done (it looks bottomed out) but with the tune-o-matic THAT high, what do you figure the string height is at the 22nd fret? I just thought it was adjusted to make sure the guitar was, in his words "playable" - :lol:

There was a thread about the bridge height the other day - when you wrap your strings over the bridge when stringing like this guy does, a lot of people lower the bridge all the way down so the break angle of the strings is the same as it would be if you used the "standard" string straight through the bridge method. Neck breaks may be a deal breaker (no pun intended), and probably would be for me, but the bridge and pup heights are no issue at all.

Archived