Question about Les Paul tops

pmc100

• Members

Are Les Paul Standard tops made from as a single piece or as two pieces?

Reason I ask is that you often see pics of LP's with a clear line running from the tail to the bottom of the guitar and with a difference in the flaming on either side.

Like this

1959GibsonLesPaulStandard-02vb.jpg

On mine though I can't see any line and there is no difference in the burst. Like this one (mine is a cherry sunburst but the principle is the same)

1995-gibson-les-paul-standard-centennial

Are some a single piece and other two pieces? Or is it just down to the finish. I guess with a burst that doesn't have flaming it would be harder to see if there are two pieces.

EDIT: And no, mine isn't a Centennial!

• Members

Les Pauls have come with 1, 2 and 3 (yuk) piece tops.

Traditionally, they had a 'bookmatched' top. That means they take one piece of wood, cut it in half, kind of like opening a phone book in the middle. and put the matching pieces together, like the one in your first photo.

• Members

Interesting. So if its a multi piece top would you always expect to be able to see the joins or can they cover it with the finish?

its almost impossible to get a flame top thats been bookmatched and not have the crease down the middle. Some are more subtle than others while some really stand out. Then there are others that look like 1 piece when you look at it from one angle, then look like 2 pieces when you look from another angle. I like a little bit of flame, but I also dont like big creases. its all preference. here are my 2 LPs

n46800953303205544105sc3.jpg

n46800953303205303064ea9.jpg

• Members

A plain top could have a joint that's hardly visible. But there's always gonna be one spot or an angle where the joint will show. One piece are sometimes a choice for 10 tops or quilted maple that would look not so good as a two pieces.

• Members

Mine isn't a flame top. It has some very suble flaming but really it all about the burst.

I swear I can't see any sign of any kind of seam anywhere though. Maybe I have some unusual single piece top. That would be cool.

Obviously this thread is pointless without pics. I'll see what I can do.

• Members

I eventually found the seam. It is literally impossible to see from above or straight on (were you would normally looks at the guitar from). Instead you need too hold it up and look at it from below. And even then you need to catch it just right in the light.

So its is two piece, just very, very well finished.

Archived