want to start a pedal board.

killthehippies45

• Members

i bought a BOSS TU-2 today and now i kind of want to start a pedal board... so far i got a wah and the tuner. i want some sort of reverb or delay... or both.

should i get the new BOSS RE-20 or an ehx Holy Grail and a Memory Man?

any other suggestions?

where is the "pedal boards for dummies" book?

anyone?

bueller?

• Members

Boards for trippy sounds are always fun... Especially where you run a delay into a flanger and maybe another delay in there, and a wah + a whammy pedal, and use the first delay to generate feedback to control with the whammy....

Back on topic, I have an EHX Holy Grail and I love it. I've never tried the RE-20, but I have a DD-6 that does great delay also.

• Members

Probably get a dirt pedal, a distortion pedal, a delay (Boss DD-3 or 6 works), flange/chorus if you're into that sort of thing (I'm not), and reverb.

After that, it's all a matter of what weird noises you want your guitar to make.

• Members

thanks guys... i like the distortion on my amp... so i'm just looking for cool sounds and textures...

think Jonny Greenwood...

Line 6 DL-4.

I have one and I love it.

You could also try the Line 6 FM-4.

Very cool synth sounds with that thing.

Digitech Whammy would also be something to look into.

• Members

Hrmm... I think if I were to throw a pedal board together today, I'd have a compressor, two or three types of dirt, one fuzz, two phasers and a delay. I'm more of a 'reverb from the amp' kinda guy though I guess it would be nice to be able to add some over the top reverb when wanted/needed. I'd probably go:

Boss CS2

Butler Direct Drive or LTD

Chandler/Butler Tube Driver

Proco Rat II

Big Muff Pi

MXR Phase 90

EHX Small Stone

Not sure about the delay... Something that could get at least 500 ms and sounded reasonably warm.

• Members

Hrmm... I think if I were to throw a pedal board together today, I'd have a compressor, two or three types of dirt, one fuzz, two phasers and a delay. I'm more of a 'reverb from the amp' kinda guy though I guess it would be nice to be able to add some over the top reverb when wanted/needed. I'd probably go:

Boss CS2

Proco Rat II

Big Muff Pi

MXR Phase 90

EHX Small Stone

Not sure about the delay... Something that could get at least 500 ms and sounded reasonably warm.

Pretty sweet.

I'd either get the CS2 modded or get a MXR Dyna Comp though.

And I'd switch the Muff with a Jekyll & Hyde.

• Members

I think it's not a bad idea to consider a delay that has a tap tempo feature - it's a pain in the neck to adjust knobs while everyone's waiting on you. I really like the new Boss pedal version of the Roland Space Echo machine. Seems to me that most every delay pedal over $150 or so has its own dedicated followers - it's worth testing a few out to make sure you get one that gels with what you want to play.

• Members

Boss CS2

Proco Rat II

Big Muff Pi

MXR Phase 90

EHX Small Stone

Why two phasers?

• Members

I think it's not a bad idea to consider a delay that has a tap tempo feature - it's a pain in the neck to adjust knobs while everyone's waiting on you. I really like the new Boss pedal version of the Roland Space Echo machine. Seems to me that most every delay pedal over $150 or so has its own dedicated followers - it's worth testing a few out to make sure you get one that gels with what you want to play.

That's why you get the DL-4.

:D:D:D:D:D:D

3 presets!

Tap tempo!

And quite a few delay models!

• Members

The scary thing for me is that I don't want to buy a board that is too small that won't fit everything and let me expand. So if you're buying a board and suddenly find yourself sucked into the effects pedal abyss, I'd buy something with at least 6-8 inches more room than you think you need.

You'll need to decide a few things: what effects you will want to use, how you will want to transport your effects (if you'll need a case or not), and how everything should be powered. If you're keeping all of your connections and pedals simple, you should be able to run off of the TU-2's DC out jack and daisy chain your other effects. Pedalboards are weird beasts in that they can be insanely complex or simple enough to fit on a shingle.

Choose wisely, young grasshopper.

• Members

How much does a set like the ones you guys are describing cost? Looks like over 500 dollars worth...

You shouldn't buy your pedals in a set.

Gradually purchase them.

2 reasons for this...

It gives you time to really figure out WHAT you want.

And it gives you time to utilize what you have instead of jumping from one thing to another.

And if you get a board and do gigging I suggest buying a used SKB PS-45.

GREAT pedal boards.

• Members

In the end, they become worth a fair amount of dollars but you don't have to buy them all at once.

Daisy chains like the Ibanez DC5 power cord can only power 5 boxes. Which seems enough for me.

Boss Tu2>Boss Power Wah>Omnifex Distortion/Overdrive> Boss Deluxe Reverb>Digitech X-Series Digidelay.

I had a Phase 90 and didn't like it's sweep. So it's out.

Here's an old pic. The DR pedal is now where the Phase 90 was.

CIMG0098.jpg

• Members

Why two phasers?

Cause you can never have too much phase, man! :thu:

Actually, I never used to use much phaser or flanger, but recently I've been using two phasers... one more mild, then one a bit more over the top and am really starting to get hooked again.

• Members

Take your time. Do your research and look beyond the obvious brands. Contrary to what some (uninformed) people here will tell you, you don't need to spend a fortune to get boutique-quality effects. Some pedals have some really obvious flaws - for instance, I foolishly bought an EHX Russian Small Stone phaser. While it has a nice phase sound, it is unreliable, has a horrible tone-sucking bypass, and drops volume when engaged, making it unusable in a live setting. Not all effects are perfect, you have to be careful with this stuff.

Unfortunately, it's hard to test stuff out besides the obvious Boss, Digitech, etc. But, again, take your time, and do your best to find things in person. Perhaps buy used so you can swing a pedal you've taken a chance on ordering for no lost. And I'd strongly encourage you to look OUTSIDE those big brands.

One important thing to think about in the case of distortions and overdrives is how that match your amp - there is no universal "best", it is ALL about application.

There's a lot to it, and you might go through some stuff before you land on the right stuff. IMO, the cheapest pedals out there aren't even worth having - I'm looking for stuff that will make my amps sound BETTER and most inexpensive pedals, particular with dirt, don't do that.

Check this site out if you want your mind blown by all the options out there:

http://www.tonefactor.com/index.php

• Members

I agree. Those guys at the effects forum take pedal obsession to an art form. Just looking at some of those boards gives me a headache.
:freak:

haha yeah. i spend just as much time over there as here and they have definitely influenced my pedal choices. i think it's for the better, overall though. i have managed to slow down my pedal buying. some of those guys have like 50+ pedals lol. i have 11 and i'm trying to sell one.

• Members

thank you all so much... so far... i think i'm gonna get the EHX holy grail, solely because i don't have a footswitch for the built in reverb in my amp, and it's not too great. i don't think i'll need a dist. pedal because i really like the amp's distortion -- but i may get a tubescreamer or something to push the amp.

then i'll branch out, the whammy looks way interesting...

Archived