microsoft photosynth

• Members

Seadragon was the Microsoft acquisition, which is now http://labs.live.com/Seadragon.aspx

1. Speed of navigation is independent of the size or number of objects.

2. Performance depends only on the ratio of bandwidth to pixels on the screen.

3. Transitions are smooth as butter.

4. Scaling is near perfect and rapid for screens of any resolution.

The interface is the frosting on this project. I think the real interesting stuff is in the tagging.

At minute 4:46 he does say "I never thought that I would end up working at Microsoft..."

Here's a link to http://labs.live.com/photosynth/

• Members

That is really cool.

The significance of auto-collation of visual information may take a while to sink completely in... but the Notre Dame cathedral images from Flickr really got my attention...

I keep hearing murmurings about similar technology for music and audio... but it seems like all anyone can think to do with it is "auto-deejay" bots... yawn.

BTW... I'm certainly on record as being skeptical of the immediate necessity of rescaling graphics engines for everyday computing... but THIS demo does sort of make a guy think maybe we're getting there.

• Members

Hmm... deja vu.

Jeff Han has been doing that for a while, he probably sold the rights to Microsoft and Apple (iPhone interface): . . .

i tried to see if there was a connection between the nyu project and the microsoft product, but it seems like microsoft had their own team researching this. i don't have any definitive evidence of that, though. just haven't seen a mention of a connection anywhere, and i think i read somewhere about microsoft having a research team working on this.

i always think it's so weird how well known jeff han has become, though. i heard about the project from dorkbot presentation from a year or so ago. the crowd of geeks at the presentation was definitely impressed, but i wouldn't expect the general geek public would get so excited about the technology.

anyway, i think it'll be cool to see this being released as a consumer product. sure, i won't be able to afford it for a while, but i can't afford rent, either. so that doesn't bother me much. :)

• Members

that concept right there is something i have thought about being a cool idea for using computers but never thought it could be done.... at least in the near future.

but think about it, the mouse/keyboard GUI combo is like 30 yo technology, and the second foray into computer interfacing [first being command line, well... i guess punch card before that, so 3rd foray] so its time for something more advanced to be used.

just imagine a DAW on one of those screens!!! resizing windows as you need with your fingers. control faders. draw in automation, with your finger... in real time. {censored}.

• Members

There are a couple of build-your-own projects out there so you don't have to throw your hard earned money at Microsoft to get your own touch-responsive video table thingy. What they seem to have in common are:

- A computer (duh ;))

- A projector

- A camera to read your motions and such

- Software (free and downloadable)

http://macrone.de/multitouch/

http://www.sport4minus.de/loopArena/mtc.html

http://mtg.upf.es/reactable/?software#files%20

http://www.nuigroup.com/

It's unfortunate that whenever someone brings up Reactable, Microsoft Surface, or somethign similar, everyone just assumes it's an expensive toy only affordable to the uber-rich when in fact anybody can build one with free software and readily available materials.

• Members

yeah, ill whip one of these out in all my spare time... i didnt assume its an expensive toy for the uber rich, i thought of it more as a cool idea that would hopefully make its way into everyday computing. im growing tired of keyboards and mice personally.

• Members

I hope the final product will not cost more than the computer.

YO G, thats a OXYMORON.

Computer cos is a CONSTANT in relation to size gettin smaller an power gettin bigger over time.

Which mean that what cos $2500 today cos $500 in a year. But thats a corollary an confuse the issue. You still got that $2500 puter next year, it jus got more power and in a smaller box.

Jeff Han sell what he do for 250k a pop. Think Synclavier. recordin to a hard drive now cos nexta nothin. what jeff Han do gonna cos nexta nothin to, you jus gotta wait. An jus like today, you get the new stuff for $2500, the ol stuff for $500. Which mean a shorter wait gonna set you back $2500, a longer wait, $500. No wait, 250k.

• Members

{censored} you sound like an idiot... what the hell are you sayin?

Im sayin the question is a OXYMORON. But you right, it aint somm you cn spell out eezy to a alphajerk a betajerk or even a epsilonminusjerk which is what you is but thats a nother story.

He say "I hope the final product will not cost more than the computer" which mean he dont understan what a computer cos. Il try an make it real simple.

Theres 2 ways to look at what a computer cos. The firs is make what the computer DO a constan an watch the price drop. So if you wanna record that ugly voice a yours to a hard drive, it gonna cos a million bux in the 70s, 10 thousan bux in the 80s, 1 thousan bux in the 90s, an free with that quart a milk computer today.

So the betajerk gonna say OH the price a computer keep gettin cheaper an cheaper. But that aint true cause what the computer DO aint a constant. The computer do more an more at the same price. So the other way to look at the cos is keep the cos the same, and the power go up.

so "I hope the final product will not cost more than the computer" depen on the CONSTANT. If time a constan, the cos gonna be high. If function a constan, the price gonna be low. Think vectors an it make mad sense. If you a alphajerk an not a epsilonminusjerk you take the lid off a Moores law an see that size really do matter. sorry to break it to ya epsilonminusjerk but size do matter. The semiconductor shrink in half every 5 an a half years. DRAM bits double per $1 in only 1 an a half years. transistors double bout the same rate. 1 transistor cos $1 in the 1960s. Now that same $1 clocks you over ten million. They also speed they bad selves up cause DRUM ROLL they gettin smaller so the electrons don hafta travel so much. The rate a innovation also go up. Think MIPS. 90 years a computin to get to the firs MIPS for $1000. Now you get an extra MIPS for $1000 every 5 hours.

But have you notice that the price of a "best" Apple computer stay the same more or less? What that tell you? Have you notice that the same MIPS in that $2000 computer in year 2000 cos over $10,000,000 in the year you was born more or less? What that tell you?

That tell you that when lowbasslowbass say "I hope the final product will not cost more than the computer" aint no such thing as "final." That Jef Hann quart a milk cos 250k today from Perceptive Pixel an hes happy to sell it to you. Put his kid thru college. Spen time instead a money, an lowbasslowbass can buy a iMac quart a milk that come with multitouch an he cn put his own kid thru college.

• Members

learn {censored}ing english... or are the school systems THAT BAD here?

the school system you went to could be THAT BAD if you caint understan one word a what I said.

:idea: perhaps you could school youself at home ta compensate. What part a the post confuse you the mos, epsilonminusjerk?

• Members

your illiterate verbiage.

sorry, i went to a school system that taught you how to speak english... and since im fairly confident english is supposed to be your first language, i would think its your schools failure to teach you how to put together a sentence that is halfway discernable.

i guess you got hooked on ebonics.

• Members

Geez...do you have any idea how annoying, not to mention offensive, that phony ghetto-speak schtick is? Give it a rest, already.:rolleyes:

As for the topic: Yeah, it'll be interesting to see a DAW take advantage of multi-touch technology, although I'd wager that it'll still be prone to the same problems that current single-touch screens have.

The idea, however, that creating a virtual desktop that can simulate a messy physical one, though, is laughable, IMHO! So now, I can lose digital documents under a pile of un-dealt-with crap on my computer, just like in real life?? WOW!! :lol:

I hate mice, but damn - isn't the computer supposed to help you organize?

• Members

and since im fairly confident english is supposed to be your first language, i would think its your schools failure to teach you how to put together a sentence that is halfway discernable.

i guess you got hooked on ebonics.

An now that you come to peace bout whatever it is that bother you bout me, i guess we can get back to talkin bout the topic.

Archived