Does anyone know where I can walk into and try out an SX or Douglas?

• Members

Unless somebody has used ones in their store, no, you'd have to order it and take your chances. QC can be an issue with sharp frets for one thing.

That's why they're so cheap though! If you could walk into GC and buy them they'd cost 40% more at least than they do.

Contact Rondo and find out what their policies are if you get one with bad fretwork or other defects. If they'll eat the return shipping until you get a clean one with good fretwork and setup, it'd be worth taking the chance.

If they're gonna gig you on return shipping, I'd be very skeptical of taking the chance.

Whatever they tell you, either save the email or remember the salesman's name if it's on the phone so you can hold them to it.

I bought a 7-string from them several years ago. Supposed to be an SX but what came was a J&D brand, probably just a rebranded SX for somebody's mom & pop store. It's a decent cheapo 7-string so I didn't care what the logo said. Nicer than the Ibanez GRX 7-string I had before because it has direct-mounted pickups and a sunburst finish with no pickguard. Other than that it could have been built in the factory Chinese Ibanezes came from.

• Members

call these guys:

http://www.primitivesound.net/store/

I don't know if they're an SX dealer or not; but I was in their shop the other day, and they had at least one SX for sale. FWIW, the guys who worked there were pretty cool to... very helpful and friendly. I just noticed the place as I was driving by, and I'm glad that I pulled over and stopped in.

Archived