Heavy Les Pauls

Diesel7988

• Members

So, I was asking about Les Pauls recently, and y'all said the new ones are chambered? Well wtf, Gibson? I thought that was what you had the SGs for! I want a heavy Les Paul, a REAL les paul (no offense if you have a chambered one, I'm sure you love it if you do) So what do I have to look for? A certain year, a certain model? They wont' be more expensive used than chambered used les pauls, will they?

• Members

I'm not an authority (but I play one on TV) but I think it's only been the last 2 years at most that Gibson started chambering all Les Pauls. They've been doing it to some of the Standard double cuts since '06 or '05 I believe.

Hope that helps.

• Members

Les Paul Standards before 2007 are not chambered, but they do have the swiss cheese holes in the body and still are pretty heavy anyway. Most Standards before 2007 are around 9lbs.

My '06 double cut standard is chambered.

• Members

Pre 2002 when they had plain tops and grovers...they were heavier all solid guitars. Still...I dont think it really makes much difference in reality...only to the anoraks. Billy Gibbons sounds fab and very les paulish tonally and he has his all chambered by the custom shop. Still that wont bother them that want the all solid all heavy LP's. Gibson themselves also must have no idea what they are doing musnt they....surely the would have A/B'd against an older all solid and found it dont sound even close to as good? ;)

• Members
Pre 2002 when they had plain tops and grovers...they were heavier all solid guitars. Still...I dont think it really makes much difference in reality...only to the anoraks. Billy Gibbons sounds fab and very les paulish tonally and he has his all chambered by the custom shop. Still that wont bother them that want the all solid all heavy LP's. Gibson themselves also must have no idea what they are doing musnt they....surely the would have A/B'd against an older all solid and found it dont sound even close to as good?
;)

dude, les pauls now resemble hollow body guitars rather than solid bodies! of course it's going to change the tone and for some it'll be negative. i have a 2005 Les Paul STD, i'm glad i got it when i did cause i wouldn't be bothered paying for a chambered paul. im sure they have its advantages but nah, i like my heavy chunk of log!

• Members

I wonder what made Gibson say "lets hollow out the Les Paul".. I mean, they are a bit heavy, but to me thats just like tuning it in diatonics to make it easier to play. It's not like your strapping a obese killer whale to your shoulders.

And to contradict that statement, I played an 07 LP Standard at GC last time I was there, and it was perfect. :poke:

• Members

They are chambered because no one really wants a heavy guitar now. I do.If you do, you're in the minority unfortunately. My LPVM is chambered, but I only paid $700 for it. I love it,great chambered guitar.Does it sound as good as my friend's 79 silverburst, hell no. I want a non chambered VOS.

• Members

They are chambered or have weight relief holes because lightweight South American mahogany is harder and harder to source in the quantities that Gibson needs for the number of guitars that they make.

However, for 2008, there is a new line of non-weight relieved Les Pauls that should be out sometime soon.

The Gretsch Duo Jet and its derivatives are chambered--they have been since the 1950's. They sound amazing, and Billy Gibbons doesn't seem to mind.

• Members

I'm not an authority (but I play one on TV) but I think it's only been the last 2 years at most that Gibson started chambering all Les Pauls. They've been doing it to some of the Standard double cuts since '06 or '05 I believe.

Hope that helps.

Nope - from whaty I've read on this site and others, gibson has finally put holes in the guitars logically, before they just hacked the holes for no reason and without worrying about tone.

• Members

They are chambered or have weight relief holes because lightweight South American mahogany is harder and harder to source in the quantities that Gibson needs for the number of guitars that they make.

I think that explains it right there. If you went to a shop that deals high end les pauls, custom shop ones that are light and are not wheight relieved. This however, accounts for the fact that unlike a 2.2 grand standard, your paying for a 3+ grand custom. You get better wood, so there is no hole drilling or chambering. You got to respect that these tropical woods are starting to get rare and scarce so they can't just make every guitar out of them.

If you ever get the chance to compair a custom to a standard, I'd really recomend it. It will open your eyes to why people pay so much money for a guitar, because the quality of materials and workman ship is far superior to the mass produced models.

• Members

dude! i was gonna get a studio!! I don't even wanna see teh standards and customs, I don't have that kinda $$

but if you guys say everything before 2007 is still heavy, though swiss cheese (what's the reason for drilling holes in it, again?) then I know what to look for. I doubt anyone who bought an 08 is already selling it, so I should be good with buying a used Gibson. But I should also keep an eye out for 2002 and earlier, because they're uncheesed?

• Members
Pick up one to feel if it's heavy enough for you IMO.

I'm pretty sure that Epi LPs are heavier than most Gibson LPs, according to my experience.

I would go with that. A few weeks ago I tried a Gibson LP standard and I'm convinced it was lighter than my 2004 Epiphone LP standard plus!:eek:
At the time I was also concerned about all this weight relieving stuff going on.
Walked out with a very nice Parker fly mojo instead! :thu:

• Members

dude! i was gonna get a studio!! I don't even wanna see teh standards and customs, I don't have that kinda $$

You may be better off simply saving your money and buying one exceptionaly good guitar as apposed to a half dozen average ones. The way I look at it is you can only play one guitar at a time, so it might as be a really good one. Thats why I'm saving up to buy a custom shop les paul, and make it last until my dying day.

• Members

Check out Wildwood's Gibsons:

http://wildwoodguitars.com/electrics/gibson/

Almost all of the non-custom shop Gibsons that they carry are chambered and weigh 7.5--8.5 pounds.

Compare that with the Historics which are mostly around 9 pounds (except for the Bigsby equipped LP's).

A few years ago, you would rarely see a Custom Shop r8 or r9 that weighed more than 9 pounds. Now you see quite a few.

Archived