Happy Bday Peter Townsend

nuke_diver

• Members

According to my calender it's Peter Townsend's birthday today :thu:

I'm surprised I can't find this mentioned already...one of the greatest rhythm guitars :poke:

And the best guitar smasher of all time :p

edit...maybe the full name helps get some eyeballs on this :freak:

• Members
Your calendar sounds awesome. Pete's a great if sloppy guitarist, and jaw-droppingly awesome at writing tunes. Happy birthday mate

Sloppy? :confused:

Pete's one of the most precise rhythm players of all time.

You want slop, consider Jimmy Page :mad:

• Members

So if Townshend was a rhythm guitarist,
who
played lead in that band?

The Who's sound was basically John and Keith soloing all the time while Pete and Roger laid down the structure of the song. The exact opposite of most bands. They really were extraordinary; no rock band has ever used dynamics like the Who did. The approach never worked with any other band and it never worked for them after Moon died.

• Members

Fix CSM

I didnt expect to be the one posting this hell I'm not even a huge fan...I like them and Townshends playing but he's not first on my list.

But I should have got the spelling right

But the calender only has his birthday today so no one else gets props :wave:

• Members

Fix CSM

I didnt expect to be the one posting this hell I'm not even a huge fan...I like them and Townshends playing but he's not first on my list.

But I should have got the spelling right

But the calender only has his birthday today so no one else gets props
:wave:

Goddammit. If anyone else corrected spelling around here, he or she would get flamed.

You guys treat this CSM like he's {censored}ing royalty. He doesn't even like the Who anyway:

"acute inability to play anything except blues, punk and old Kinks, Stax, James Brown and Motown hits"

Get over it.

• Members
Goddammit. If anyone else corrected spelling around here, he or she would get flamed.

You guys treat this CSM like he's {censored}ing royalty. He doesn't even like the Who anyway:

"acute inability to play anything except blues, punk and old Kinks, Stax, James Brown and Motown hits"

Get over it.

Your fastly turning into a number 1 asshole around here :thu: whatever issue you have with CSM talk to him sort it out and stop being a dick at every opportunity.

• Members

He doesn't even like the Who anyway:

I'd have to see the quote in context (or have it confirmed by CSM himself) to be sure, but something tells me you just didn't get the joke.

• Members

I'd have to see the quote in context (or have it confirmed by CSM himself) to be sure, but something tells me you just didn't get the joke.

The Who have been one of my favourite bands since I first heard them in 1965, when I was 14. I defy you, or anyone else, to find anything I've ever written, on this board or anywhere else during my long and occasionally messy career, to suggest otherwise. The reason they weren't on that minilist was simply to keep the sentence from getting too long.

Doc, either explain yourself or go stand in the corner with Cold Gin.

• Members
Your fastly turning into a number 1 asshole around here
:thu:
whatever issue you have with CSM talk to him sort it out and stop being a dick at every opportunity.

I've been the #1 asshole for quite awhile now. I have nothing against CSM. I enjoy reading his articles. I've said it at least 3 times.

I'm making some observations, that's all.

• Members

The Who have been one of my favourite bands since I first heard them in 1965, when I was 14.

Just wondering - did you, or anybody else here for that matter, see the Who back in the days before they "THE WHO"? By that I mean before Tommy or Woodstock? Maybe in a club? If so, I'd like to read any recollections. I own the DVD for 30 Years of Maximum R and B and am just amazed at their power and energy in the early days. There's a place where Townsend says the Beatles were superior in the studio but the Who could have blown them off the stage. I have no doubts about that watching clips of their early days.

Archived