Happy Bday Peter Townsend

nuke_diver

• Members

I've been the #1 asshole for quite awhile now. I have nothing against CSM. I enjoy reading his articles. I've said it at least 3 times.

I'm making some observations, that's all.

From making my own observations then all I see is you having a go whenever you can and acting like a dick. You say you enjoy reading his articles which I'm sure you do, but it still does not stop you bashing him whenever you can. So just grow up or get out please.

• Members

Goddammit. If anyone else corrected spelling around here, he or she would get flamed.

You guys treat this CSM like he's {censored}ing royalty. He doesn't even like the Who anyway:

"acute inability to play anything except blues, punk and old Kinks, Stax, James Brown and Motown hits"

Get over it.

Yes please get over it. I enjoy listening to jazz guitarists, but I don't play jazz myself. I don't see how you came to the conclusion that he doesn't like the Who.

• Members

The Who have been one of my favourite bands since I first heard them in 1965, when I was 14. I defy you, or anyone else, to find anything I've ever written, on this board or anywhere else during my long and occasionally messy career, to suggest otherwise. The reason they weren't on that minilist was simply to keep the sentence from getting too long.

Doc, either explain yourself or go stand in the corner with Cold Gin.

OK. I'm in the corner and I stand corrected. You folks outta bed over there already? Cold Gin hates me (along with everyone else).

• Members
The Who have been one of my favourite bands since I first heard them in 1965, when I was 14. I defy you, or anyone else, to find anything I've ever written, on this board or anywhere else during my long and occasionally messy career, to suggest otherwise. The reason they weren't on that minilist was simply to keep the sentence from getting too long.

Doc, either explain yourself or go stand in the corner with Cold Gin.

I thought he was accusing you of saying the Who were limited to those styles (which wouldn't make any sense at all, hence my asking for context). Either way, I've got no reason to believe you don't dig the Who.:idk:

I just thought it was a strange criticism. It still is, even now that I understand the ACTUAL bizarre accusation. Did he really expect you to list every band and musician you like in that sentence?:freak:

• Members

I thought he was accusing you of saying the Who were limited to those styles (which wouldn't make any sense at all, hence my asking for context). Either way, I've got no reason to believe you don't dig the Who, so consider me defied, though not defiant.
:D

I just thought it was a strange criticism. It still is, even now that I understand the ACTUAL bizarre accusation. Did he really expect you to list every band and musician you like in that sentence?
:freak:

As you know from the original piece, I was taking the piss out of my OWN limitations as a guitarist -- not The Who's limitations as a band. What I listed wasn't everything I like -- it was everything I claimed to be able to play, though I can, in fact, manage a little more than that on a good day.

The piece didn't even MENTION The Who. Just for the record, Pete is one of my all-time fave players and greatest influences.

Anyway -- once again, big happies to PT.

• Members

As you know from the original piece, I was taking the piss out of my OWN limitations as a guitarist -- not The Who's limitations as a band. What I listed wasn't everything I like -- it was everything I claimed to be able to play, though I can, in fact, manage a little more than that on a good day.

The piece didn't even MENTION The Who. Just for the record, Pete is one of my all-time fave players and greatest influences.

Anyway -- once again, big happies to PT.

Well, yeah...I just didn't want to get into yet another level of why that was a bizarre statement. I also didn't want to risk commenting too much on your self-depreciation.

I thought about it though. "CSM's not saying Townshend can't play {censored}, he's saying HE can't play {censored}" seemed like it might open up a whole new can of worms.

• Members

I've never figured out why Townsend is just considered a great rhythm guitarist but a so-so lead player.

I think he just kills all over Live at Leeds, some really interesting lead parts that aren't just the recycled Albert King licks that so many of the other lead players of the era seemed to get so much mileage out of.

I've always found his lead playing very original and the least derivative of all the famous players of his time.

• Members

Cool 2nd hand story about Pete...A good friend of mine who is an accomplished engineer had a recording studio in downtown Hartford that seemed to have all of the interference in the world. He tried everything to eliminate guitar hum. He bought every "hum eliminator" and even wrapping a guitar in a copper sheet couldn't fix the problem. One day, he was at a major studio in New York when a colleague snuck him into the control room while Pete was practicing. He couldn't believe all the noise, buzz, and hum coming from Pete's guitar. He was more astonished at the lack of measures being taken to reduce the noise. The house engineer explained to him that "it is what it is". He later took a close listen to some "Who" albums and for the first time really noticed that guitar hum is a fact of life, even for the legends!!

Archived