Choosing My First Strat.... Give Me Some Info

Sigel_TTD

• Members

I jammed on two today and was really diggin the feel and tone of a strat (I've played only humbuckers, mostly EMG's). As of now I don't really know much about strats. I definitely know I want a S-S-S combo. The only problem is that I know there are TONS of models. So which has a higher quality and sound, MIJ or MIA? What kind of body wood do strat players prefer? I'm looking for something around the $550 new price range, give or take $75. Also, on a strat, what difference does a maple fretboard make as opposed to rosewood? Thanks guys.

• Members

People have strong opinions on all the questions you asked.

For your price range, the Hwy 1's seem like a good choice. They have a very nice neck in either rosewood or maple, and good quality woods and electronics.

I feel the rosewoods fretboards are a little "warmer" and the maple ones a little "brighter"... but individual guitars can vary.

There's no right answer as to which one you should get. Let your hands and ears decide what's right for you.

M

• Members

Do they have highway 1 models with the small fender headstock's instead of the jumbo ones? Otherwise the hwy 1 would be perfect for me. Alder body, 22 jumbo frets, I'm thinking I'd go with a rosewood fretboard seeing as I want something fat and crunchy.

EDIT: Oh, and I'm only seeing these things go for about $750, is that about right?

• Members

Specswise, the Classic players (50: Maple neck, 60: RW FB) are very interesting and I am looking into this myself. I got the tip from csm who knows a thing or two about strats. And they are exactly i your price range.

• Members

the CP's look perfect, there are a couple things though. Whats going to be the difference in both playability and tone/sustain between medium jumbo and jumbo frets? Also, I know its nit picking but is there a strat with the same specs as a CP '50/'60 but with 22 frets, maybe jumbo?

• Members

heres my advice. play as many as you can. mexican, american..play em all. then realize some and/or most mexican strats play better than the american strats. then pat yourself on the back for saving 600 and get a really good setup.

i recomend the deluxe players strat.

• Members

heres my advice. play as many as you can. mexican, american..play em all. then realize some and/or most mexican strats play better than the american strats. then pat yourself on the back for saving 600 and get a really good setup.

Whats the dif between the ash body of the deluxe and the alder body of the classic?

• Members

The Deluxe Player's strat is a great guitar. My father talked me into selling him mine...:cry: I think that the ash bodies are a bit warmer, and if you're used to playing shorter-scale, double-humbucker guitars, the neck radius may feel more natural than most other strats. Plus, you can't go wrong with noiseless pickups and 7 switching configurations. Highly recommended.

• Members

My Opinion -

Stay the F@#k away from ash bodied strats (too bright unless the ash is top notch) and stick with alder bodied strats for more warmth and mids.

I'd recommend a American Deluxe strat. They have a lot of versatility with the SCN pickups + S-1 switching. Or an American standard if you need to cut costs.

The Classic Player if you want to save more.

The Classic '50s is a nice sounding strat out of the box.

The Deluxe Roadhouse Lonestars are work looking into

I'm not a big fan of my Jimmie Vaughan strat because I find the Tex Mex pups to be too bright and edgie for my tastes, but a lot of folks here seem to love them.

Fretboards aren't that big of a deal to me, but strats being a bit bright anyway, I probably have a slight pref towards the warmer rosewood fretboards.

Now if you want a Deluxe Bad Boy Blue in new condition with an ash body and ebony fb for $1030 shipped, send me a PM. ;)

• Members

Its all a matter of personal opinion. You have to try a bunch to see what you like. One of my main criteria is that I don't tolerate a lot of noise, there is a lot of variation between models and individual guitars in noise level.

• Members

play anything you can pay for and make your own mind up mate. i played a 10grand playboy model that wasnt as good as my mex, my mate hates my mex tho, and plays anything from vintage to a yam sg2000. horses for courses thats all it is and fender vary so much you dont even get a goal to aim for.

Archived