just met one of the original Doobie Brothers

Karma1

• Members

I only saw the original Doobie Brothers once and that was at The Rainbow in London on the Warner Brothers Tour. They were pretty good but that was the night when Little Feat smoked everybody.

Little Feat was a TIGHT band, especially when Lowell George played with them. Very underated guitarist

• Members

I only saw the original Doobie Brothers once and that was at The Rainbow in London on the Warner Brothers Tour. They were pretty good but that was the night when Little Feat smoked everybody.

I was there too. And didn't they just!! I'm not much of a one for heroes, but Lowell George must be close. ;)

Also saw the Doobs at the first Knebworth concert.

Awesome line-up (IIRC): Tim Buckley, Sensational Alex Harvey Band, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Van Morrison, Doobies, Allman Brothers.

• Members
I was there too. And didn't they just!! I'm not much of a one for heroes, but Lowell George must be close.
;)

Also saw the Doobs at the first Knebworth concert.

Awesome line-up (IIRC): Tim Buckley, Sensational Alex Harvey Band, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Van Morrison, Doobies, Allman Brothers.

I was there too, I didn't think much of Alex Harvey that day but Tim Buckley was great and Van Morrison had a small group of I think bass, drums and piano with himself on occasional Alto Sax, he was great. The Allmans were ok but I don't remember the Doobie Brothers or Mahavishnu, maybe I had passed out at that stage.

• Members
:)
:) Very cool!!!! Love the ol Doobies!!!!!Why the hell cant the nightly news have good stuff to talk about like this? Man..thats gotta be a hell of a cool feeling meeting someone like that!

It is a cool feeling, although there's always a moment of apprehension whether to approach them or not. But you don't get the opportunity every day. So I think as long as you are respectful , it's usually ok.

Since we're talking about the Doobie Brothers here, I'll share this:
About a month ago I was watching a concert on PBS of the Doobies playing all their old hits for a hurricane Katrina relief benefit, that included Tom Johnston, Patrick Simmons, Tiran Porter, and John McFee (sorry if I mispelled any names) and towards the end of their set, they said "we'd like to bring out a special guest". And out walks Joe Satriani! He played a couple songs with them and it was awesome. Talk about unexpected - what a great suprise!

• Members

Awesome.

The Doobies weren't the same without him.

Don't even get me started on Michael McDonald.

There's no way that abomination with MM should have still be allowed to call it the Doobie Bros! I always loved TJ's voice. As a kid I used to play THE CAPTAIN AND ME over and over, especially DARK EYED CAJUN WOMAN.

• Members

Awesome.

The Doobies weren't the same without him.

Don't even get me started on Michael McDonald.

+ Eleventy bazillion!

I saw the Doobs back before he had to drop out of touring, and then on the first tour that McDonald came in to "save" them (within 2 or 3 shows of Johnston leaving). The show I was at, people were holding up "Where's Tom?" signs.

Tom and Pat were and are the heart of the Doobies.

Oscar to troll thread supporting Mikey in 3 ...2... 1...

• Members

MM with the Doobies was like when Terry Kath was gone and Chicago went from a hard hitting r&b rock band to "Saturday, here in the park..."

Good analogy.

Michael McDonald era Doobie Brothers were like different group that just happened to have the same name, as far as I was concerned. I'll admit I liked a few songs from that time, but no where nearly as much as the originals. Nothing compares to classics like Long Train Running, China Grove, Listen To The Music, etc. - much more of a good old rock and roll band than the pop direction they took later. And like you said, similar to Chicago. Terry Kath definitely brought the rock edge to that band. I've always thought that he was one of the most overlooked guitarists of that period. When he was alive, I kept wishing he would make a rock-oriented solo album without the horn section. That would have been smoking. Some of the lead guitar work on the first two Chicago albums is killer - South California Purples, in particular, comes to mind.

• Members

I was telling someone recently that ol' Michael sounded like he was trying to sing with a mouth full of mashed potatoes. Rather irritating actually.

ROFL! That is great. Truthfully, he is great as a BACKGROUND vocalist. I suppose the Doobs got him through the Skunk-Steeley Dan connection.

I am some what of a Doobs fan since my HS days. My 1st Guitar teacher was a roadie/tech for the Doobs and was tight with Tommy Johnston. He didn't like to talk about Mike McDonald much especially once Takin' it to the Streets came out, the new "expanded band" was formed and TJ left to do a solo LP.

• Members

What LP did Michael McDonald come in on? Minute by Minute no?

Doobie Brothers

Toulouse Street

The Captain And Me

What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits

Stampede ---Jeff Baxter listed as in the band and not under "additional players" as before

***Invasion of MM.

Takin

Archived