New guy here

cobra grover

• Members

First post so have a heart.

I have been playing acoustic for a while now but have not been very dedicated so I still consider myself a beginner. I am nearly 51 yrs old so I grew up with the Beatles, Eagles, Santana, Guns & Roses,...all the music from the late 60's on. So I like a lot of different types of music, even the more modern country.

I have been thinking about getting an electric but I know next to nothing about them. That's why I'm here. What I think I do know is there are two basic camps, the Fenders and their copies and the Gibsons and their copies, and the others. From there I get lost in all the neck shapes, pickup types, etc. Should I just go to the music stores and pick their brains? How do I know what's right for me?

Mitch

• Members

Basically by playing. Rather than getting caught up in names, I'd divide electric guitars into two camps. Those with single coil pickups (like strats), and those with humbuckers (like most gibsons). Single coils are usually brighter but thinner in sound, humbuckers are warmer. Depending on how much you're willing to pay, you can get great guitars in either style. Do you have a budget?

• Members

I think the best way is to go to a music store then look for a guitar that you think you'd love(physically) then try it out,if it feels/sounds right then you'll enjoy your guitar better...

regarding to the sound or what type of pick up you should go for i think you should go for a guitar equipped with a humbucker pickup(base on your influences)IMO

Try Ibanez guitars here's a link www.ibanez.com

• Members

Basically by playing. Rather than getting caught up in names, I'd divide electric guitars into two camps. Those with single coil pickups (like strats), and those with humbuckers (like most gibsons). Single coils are usually brighter but thinner in sound, humbuckers are warmer. Depending on how much you're willing to pay, you can get great guitars in either style. Do you have a budget?

Don't forget the P90 style single coils! Those are tasty as well.

• Members

Agreed. Play a bunch and find one that you like the looks of, and how it feels in your hands. Guitars are like shoes, if they are uncomfortable in the store, they're not gonna get better later on.

Just my opinion, but I'd stay away from the ultra cheap (around $100-200) models. Some would disagree with me here, but most of the guitars I have seen in that price range need a serious setup, and other possible modifications to be great players. If your budget allows, start in the $350 and up range. There are some great playing guitars in that range.

Shoot, if your budget allows, even pick up some nicer, higher-end stuff and see what it feels like! If a guitar inspires you to play more...that's a GOOD thing!

• Members

Go to the store and play until you find one that turns your crank. That's the one. Primarily, I play a Fender Telecaster (you can tell from my avatar.) It does everything well - rock, country, blues, jazz. I'm a jazz and blues player, primarily. It was the first Fender guitar and they have been making them since 1946 so they have it down pretty well by now. It is one you should include in the search.

You should also include one of Les Paul guitars. I have one of those too and it is quite versatile as well though less versatile really than the Telecaster for me. I have a Gibson Studio model. It is really a pleasure to play but its jazz tone isn't as good for me as the Fender. For classic rock, it is a classic and may be ideal for your musical preferences.

Finally, you should look at the hollow and semi-hollow models. The classic instrument in this area is the Gibson 335 or the more modern 339. These are probably the most versatile instruments of all. My own hollow body is a cheap Ibanez and it doesn't get so much use from me simply because it doesn't perform quite as well as the others. But a Gibson 335 or 339 certainly would. My next electric guitar will be a replacement for the Ibanez.

Most of the people in this forum are young. However, I'm 64 years old. That makes me a geezer. The youngsters tend to like having a broad collection of cheap guitars. I think many of them are collectors rather than players. I think at your age, you will be happier with one really good one. And you can likely afford it better than the youngsters can. So go compare the Fender Telecaster or Stratocaster, the Gibson Les Paul and the Gibson 335 or 339 (or a Gretsch, if you want a big hollow body.) With any of these guitars you won't be wishing you had something else and either will be versatile enough to do the job for you with high playability, good tone and even some pride of ownership. If one them speaks to you, you can answer with your checkbook.

• Members

FWIW a single coil equipped guitar will be an easier transition from acoustic, but a humbucker equipped instrument will get you closer to the rock tone of the bands you describe.

Try both, see what feels more natural. Some of us end up playing a certain type, not because we are fans of one make but because they suit the kind of music we find ourselves playing. I find that single coil equipped guitars work better for me, and particularly strats and strat types. But if I was playing more rock and using higher levels of gain then I'd choose humbucker equipped guitars - probably SGs instead of Les Pauls.

BTW welcome to the forum. You have a good attitude for asking advice.

• Members

Begginner? well you probably don't want to start with a thousand dollar guitar, but don't get a ceap el'crappo' either. For a begginner i would probably either suggest some kind of tele or an SG. but thats just me. :o

• Members

Hey Mitch,

Yamaha Pacificas are pretty damn good value for money. They can do a lot of different styles AND you won't look like a poser screwing up thunderstruck on an epiphone sg or hashing sweet child o mine on a les paul.

And then when you do get good, people will be like "Wow he sounds like that with a Pacifica? Imagine what he'd sound like on a Les Paul?" ala license to go get that axe....

or just mod the crap out of the Yamaha...

but that will all come with time and lots of practice

Archived