Whats the harm of a dry fretboard?

valentsgrif

• Members

I never heard of a board splitting, ever anywhere, though I'm sure it could happen in theory.

My own finger grease puts enough down on the board to darken it up where I fret, so I just don't see a benefit to slathering on lemon oil, smoked meat or mineral oil.

• Members

I never heard of a board splitting, ever anywhere, though I'm sure it could happen in theory.

My own finger grease puts enough down on the board to darken it up where I fret, so I just don't see a benefit to slathering on lemon oil, smoked meat or mineral oil.

I hear maple syrup works great!

(Ducks chair and runs away):lol:

• Members

Eventually you will have some frets lifting a way from the neck. This doesn't happen on all guitars but will to quite a few.Usually every 6 sets of strings we oil the fretboards. And you don't use a lot just a little dot.A little preventative maintenance will save in the long run.

• Members

Never had a board shrink or fret lift in 38 years.

The humidity in my studio is pretty controlled though.

So if the humidity is always at least 50-60%, the wood isn't gonna dry out, right? And it seems to me putting a lubricant next to steel means more likelyhood of movement in the slot.

• Members

The Colonial Maple cured bacon is the only way to go for a rosewood strat, if your gonna go the bacon route. :thu:

• Members

I have a 1930's Gibson L00 that the fretboard was never oiled until I did it a couple years ago.

No crackz !1!1!

I think it's pretty pointless, but it does look nicer i guess. For a short while. Unless I really wipe it down good after oiling it. Then the oil is pretty much gone and it looks the same.

I also think really smooth/polished fretboards looks less 'dry' in general, and command less oiling attention.

• Members

There's nothing quite like a thoroughly dessicated fret board with cracks and the fret ends poking out from the edges....................:poke:

This is a parody thread, right?

If not, the OP is smoking his breakfast..........................

• Members

....... the OP is smoking his breakfast..........................

No bro I just can't figure this {censored} out.

I'm not seeing cracked boards. And where are you cats storing your guitars? car trunks in the Sahara?

And if the rosewood is so good with a finish, why not just throw a couple of coats of poly on it like a maple board?

Gimmie anotha hit of that pancake......

• Members

There's nothing quite like a thoroughly dessicated fret board with cracks and the fret ends poking out from the edges....................:poke:

This is a parody thread, right?

If not, the OP is smoking his breakfast..........................

My guitar went 70 years without the rosewood fretboard being oiled. No cracks or frets poking out. :eek:

• Members

Freboards on older guitars that have been owned by others before may already have been oiled enough times that they don't need any more. I was reading something recently about treating rosewood fretboards using tung oil as a one- or two-time thing and forget about it for a long time. I'll see if I can find the articles (there was more than one).

• Members

I use Fret Dr now,(bore oil)and first of all you shouldn't be 'slathering' it on.

You put on only as much as the wood will take,i do mine about once a year.

I usually do mine in the winter,to counter act the drying effect of forced air heating. I like the feel of a newly oiled 'board.

If you are a greaseball and have really oily skin there there is a real probability that your FBs would never need additional attention other than the occasional wipedown.:poke:;):p

• Members

I have a 1918 L3 Gibson. I know my brother or I've never oiled the board and I'm pretty sure my father and grandfather never did either. After my brother did his best to destroy it about the only thing that doesn't need repair is the fretboard.

L3003.jpg

• Members

I have a 1918 L3 Gibson. I know my brother or I've never oiled the board and I'm pretty sure my father and grandfather never did either. After my brother did his best to destroy it about the only thing that doesn't need repair is the fretboard.

L3003.jpg

Nice !

Here's mine:

gibsonfront2kd4.jpg

edit: I know it wasn't oiled cause my grandmother bought it new and would have :freak:'d if you told her to oil the board.

• Members

When a fretboard dries out you get fretboard shrinkage causing frets to stick out the edges and fine cracks on the board that worsen over time. And depending where you live and how much the humidity changes over the year it can mean serious repairs... or next to nothing.

Archived