Multiple Guitar Owners

SpectorDave

• Members

How do you decide what guitars to buy? i.e:

By company, do you buy all fenders or all gibsons etc? Do you buy "classic" guitars like LP's, Strats, Teles, 335's etc? Or by the genre you play like ESP's, schecters etc for playing metal.

Me personally, when i started playing i played indie / rock so i went for a humbucker equipped Les Paul copy. Then i progressed onto metal so i bought a PRS Tremonti SE and fitted it with EMG's. Then as my playing has improved and i began to play more genre's and enjoy different guitars. So i am someone who likes a bit of everything.

I own a PRS SE, Fender Telecaster, Epiphone Dot, Epiphone Black Beauty and looking a picking up a Fender Strat, Epiphone SG, LTD V-500 and Gretsch G5122DC.

How do you like to shop?

Post pics of your collections if like.

• Members

I'd only get another guitar if it (a) offered something I can't get from anything I currently own or (b) does something so much better than anything I currently have that it deserves to replace a guitar that's already in the house.

• Members
I'd only get another guitar if it (a) offered something I can't get from anything I currently own or (b) does something so much better than anything I currently have that it deserves to replace a guitar that's already in the house.

I'll +1 that.

At this stage, I dont want any more guitars. I dont play a few of those I have, and I'm crap at selling 'em.

I'll alaways make room for something BETTER than I have.

Just haven't found anything in the last year or so....

:thu:

• Members

My thing is japanese guitars. I love the fender and gibson copies.....to the point where I would rather have them then the originals in alot of cases. But I have to buy them online cause they just don't really exist outside japan. So I have to do as much homework as I can to make sure I get ones with a really good reputation for build quality. That lessens the chance of bad ones. So far so good. And through this I've found a few original models I want to buy from those companies.

• Members

I just buy it because I like it. Sometimes I look for specifics.
But many of my purchases have been impulse buys because I really liked the way a guitar played or felt.

For Example, I have two FMT Teles that only vary by color and Pickup combinations.

Brand is less important to some extent.
If I connect with it, I get past the name on the head stock.

I just ran through them in my head and I counted 10 different manufacturers.

• Members

+1.... and I think that goes for all of my gear really....

• Members

All of my guitars are different "types" (though I certainly wouldn't stop myself buying a second of any of these types). I have a solid-body with single coils (Strat), semi-hollow with humbuckers (es-335), solid-body with humbuckers (Explorer), electric bass (Squire P-bass - sorry, no photos), Acoustic Electric (Ovation Tangent), and Acoustic Electric Bass (Ovation Tangent bass).

I suppose my next purchase will be a LP with p-90's... don't have a p-90 guitar and I love them. Once I have one of each, then I can start buying multiples! :D

• Members

I have many guitars, but only two of them are the same make, one is a regular Strat, the other is a 12 string.

The only thing that pushes me to buy a guitar, is if it's something I don't have.

Right now I want a Tele, a 7 string, and a long scale mandolin.

Don't see the point of having 3 Les Pauls, reagardless of pickups/ finish. One will do the job fine , if it doesn't , modify it to suit your needs.

I'm putting P90s in my American Strat because I'm not happy with the tone I have now, try something new. I can always replace them later.

• Members

I too try to cover different sounds. Right now I have two tele's thinlines kind of fedundant but one has traditional tele pickups and rosewood board and the other has humbuckers and a maple board very different animals.

• Members

I have bought and sold a ton of guitars over the last few years and probably never had less than 5 and maxing out around 15. Most of it was fueled by wanting to test drive guitars longer than 10 minutes in the store surrounded by way too much noise and not enough time to really get a feel for a guitar. I would just keep what I wound up liking and sell/trade what I didn't. I started out with cheaper (not in a bad way) guitars and have ramped up the collection to higher level guitars. I am at the point now where the only way I would probably buy another guitar would be if it was a higher model of something I have now (eg. Replace the Epi Standard with a Epi Custom, or Gibson Standard).

In the past, many times it was just "Hey, that looks cool and I can afford it" or "I have heard a lot of talk about these, let me see what it is all about".

Here is a pic of my music room with most of my guitars. The list of them is in my sig.

MusicRoomPic.jpg

• Members

I have tried to cover all the sonic bases with what I have bought with the only expoensive axe being my LP standard as that is my go to. Here is my family without the most recent PRS SE soapbar 2 which I bought for that P90 thing.

Ultimately tho I played them all and bought them cos I like them and what they do and how differently each one can make you play.

• Members

I have many guitars, but only two of them are the same make, one is a regular Strat, the other is a 12 string.

The only thing that pushes me to buy a guitar, is if it's something I don't have.

Right now I want a Tele, a 7 string, and a long scale mandolin.

Don't see the point of having 3 Les Pauls, reagardless of pickups/ finish. One will do the job fine , if it doesn't , modify it to suit your needs.

I'm putting P90s in my American Strat because I'm not happy with the tone I have now, try something new. I can always replace them later.

I think like that too. When im in guitar shops im thinking to myself. I dont have a fully hollow guitar, i could get a gretsch. i dont have a 7 string, i could get an ibanez or a schecter. i dont have a strat, i could get a fender etc

• Members

I but 'em if I hear they are good for what I would like to use 'em for and I can get them cheap somehow (2nd hand off ebay).

Then sometimes a guitar comes along that you spend months/years searching for because everyone speaks of it in reverent tones, it has a semi-mythical status so you start looking. Case in point: Charvel 750XL. One day I see one for sale I think "ok, no brainer, let's get the money and buy." I did "luck out" on that 750XL.

Archived