Career Life vs. Personal Life

Ani

• Members

Plan it out, take you retirement now and dedicate the rest of your life to music and living frugally. You have done enough of the grunt side. Get your pension, and start a business.

Dean, I don't have the age. Unless they offer an early out option; it's not an option. I'm under FERS and not Civil Service. I joined the government service as CSRS rolled over into FERS. There were about 5 groups of new hires that got caught up in the roll over. The first two were granted the right to remain under the CSRS plan, whereas the other three were forced to go under FERS. There were grievances and settlements and lots of disappointed folks as a result. The cutoff to remain under CSRS stopped just shy of my group.

• Members

A "normal" life does not seem to be within reach as a USPS employee. Not as a manager; not in craft. I've been there 22 years, and at one time, 10 to 15 years of service time would land daylight hours with weekends off; not anymore. I have daylight hours, but still have days off of Monday/Tuesday. If I get the promotion that I'm in line for, I will have daylight hours (if you want to call them that... EXTENDED and flexible) and Sunday/Tuesday off. Split days off are not really family friendly and neither are working during the weekend while the kids are home from school. It really sucks! The only time we can really do much of anything is during the summer when school's out.

I just received word about posting the holiday schedule for Labor Day; it's mandated that we will draft our crew at 100/175%. That means that ALL craft employees, scheduled workday or not, will be required to work on their Labor Day holiday; supervisors and craft employees in mail processing units will be required to work unless they have scheduled annual from the beginning of the year. All temporary employees will work straight through without any days off; regulars will work both their holiday and a sixth day without option. People who call in sick during the holiday weekend will be required to bring medical documentation and the leave will go down as unscheduled. The person will be listed as AWOL if documentation is not provided and, depending on their leave record, it could invite disciplinary action.

Since I have gone back into management full time, my creativity suffers.... Especially my music and songwriting.

I wish that I was still able to do the technical job that I had been doing for a while, but another supervisor left in a unit that I was fully trained in that no one else was qualified to do; I got yanked back into doomville... it's better pay, but a LOT more stressful. In this position I have to supervise a total of 72 people. THAT'S a LOT of personalities to have to deal with.... what's worse; better than two-thirds of them are menopausal or post menopausal women. Men think that PMS is bad.... try dealing with 50+ biddies with their hormones all out of whack at the same time.
:freak:

Now you see why I am willing to bid SPLIT DAYS just to escape; I'll also be driving about 3 times the distance.
:cry:
I'll be locked into the new position for a year if I take the job... but MAN, I'm tired of being mentally exhausted when I walk away from work.

Manangement - - yikes! - - Been there, done that, it sucked... I was a department head at a small college in Iowa, after teaching there for 7 or 8 years. Since I left there, I realized what a tremendous stress was on me for being responsible for what other people do. I'm so much happier now that I don't have to worry about anyones performance except mine.

The worst part was firing people, which I had to do only once. (There are a LOT of people teaching college that are completely inept; I was lucky that I only got stuck with one of them. Since it was a private college, firing was possible - - in public institutions they just go on sabbatical or 'do research' or some other equally futile dodge.)

I wish you the best! Keep in mind this though: In 100 years, no one will give a damn how hard you worked. I've never seen a tombstone that read "Here lies Bill. He really put in a lot of overtime!"

• Members

Since I left there, I realized what a tremendous stress was on me for being responsible for what other people do. I'm so much happier now that I don't have to worry about anyones performance except mine.

I hear you!!!! Some of these folks have been allowed to get by with far too much for far too long. What's bad about it is the fact that I am currently working in the unit with people that I worked side by side with while in craft. For a change they have a supervisor that leads by example. I was very diligent in my work performance while laboring, and I know what folks are "capable" of doing; they also know that I'm not one to put up with a lot of BS. I was one of the top processors when it came to productivity.

What's hard is when you have to deal with "friends" that have been used to other managers allowing indolence. Since I have taken the unit over, my immediate manager has told me that the "numbers" are smoking... they've basically doubled in productivity and we are beginning hit top scores in delivery performance in the nation.

I hate having to be a hardnose, but... funny as it seems... today I found one of my good friends sitting on a conveyor belt and called her on it. Not only for non-productive downtime, but for performing a serious safety violation. Later on, I sat with her at lunch... She asked me if I was mad at her for doing what she had done and I told her that I was off of the clock and the point was moot. She understands that I am going to do what I have to do as a supervisor while in that capacity, but beyond the job... I'm still the same ole me. It was kind of awkward having to address one of my friends, but she knew better, and she also knows that had one of my superiors witnessed the incident; it would have been my butt on the line and not hers.

The previous supervisor basically let the unit run itself while hanging with and allowing her pal workers to get by with anything; morale was seriously down with all those that witnessed the favoritism. I don't play favorites, nor to I hang with friends that need to be gainfully employeed while on the clock.

In a way it's bad to work in a unit where you know everybody, because there are those that are going to try you everyday until you put the hammer down, but then again.... you know who your workers are; you know people's personality issues. You have a good inclination as to whether or not someone might be of the mindset to "Go Postal" whenever you issue discipline....

Going to a new area altogether, well, it's going to be soft stepping for a bit until I acquire a comfort zone and learn who's who and who reliable and who's not.

• Members
I hear you!!!! Some of these folks have been allowed to get by with far too much for far too long. What's bad about it is the fact that I am currently working in the unit with people that I worked side by side with while in craft. For a change they have a supervisor that leads by example. I was very diligent in my work performance while laboring, and I know what folks are "capable" of doing; they also know that I'm not one to put up with a lot of BS. I was one of the top processors when it came to productivity.

What's hard is when you have to deal with "friends" that have been used to other managers allowing indolence. Since I have taken the unit over, my immediate manager has told me that the "numbers" are smoking... they've basically doubled in productivity and we are beginning hit top scores in delivery performance in the nation.

I hate having to be a hardnose, but... funny as it seems... today I found one of my good friends sitting on a conveyor belt and called her on it. Not only for non-productive downtime, but for performing a serious safety violation. Later on, I sat with her at lunch... She asked me if I was mad at her for doing what she had done and I told her that I was off of the clock and the point was moot. She understands that I am going to do what I have to do as a supervisor while in that capacity, but beyond the job... I'm still the same ole me. It was kind of awkward having to address one of my friends, but she knew better, and she also knows that had one of my superiors witnessed the incident; it would have been my butt on the line and not hers.

The previous supervisor basically let the unit run itself while hanging with and allowing her pal workers to get by with anything; morale was seriously down with all those that witnessed the favoritism. I don't play favorites, nor to I hang with friends that need to be gainfully employeed while on the clock.

In a way it's bad to work in a unit where you know everybody, because there are those that are going to try you everyday until you put the hammer down, but then again.... you know who your workers are; you know people's personality issues. You have a good inclination as to whether or not someone might be of the mindset to "Go Postal" whenever you issue discipline....

Going to a new area altogether, well, it's going to be soft stepping for a bit until I acquire a comfort zone and learn who's who and who reliable and who's not.

Sorry but your response here seems to be a contradiction to your original post thread concerning life work balance etc. Being so concerned with this, you'll not escape the work trap. Deal with it or get away. :D

• Members

Sorry but your response here seems to be a contradiction to your original post thread concerning life work balance etc. Being so concerned with this, you'll not escape the work trap. Deal with it or get away.
:D

I have to deal with financial obligations and THAT is the reality of it. I don't really see how the response is in "contradiction" with the original post.... It's easy for some to say "just quit" but that is not a realistic resolution to the problem unless I have something substantial to accommodate; something that will provide IMMEDIATE income comparible to that which I have built my lifestyle around. I've never been one to rely on a sugar daddy or mooch off of other people either.

Downsize??? Well, then I move my kids out of the AAA school district that they attend and move into the rougher neighborhoods where the schools have metal detectors installed on their doors...... My children would be placed in danger, they would become seriously depressed, and the quality of life and education would go down.... NOT AN OPTION as long as I can keep my head above water. I don't want to have to worry about the safety of my children while they are at school. I don't want them to lose confidence or hope by jerking them out of a school that they have finally adapted to and feel comfortable in.

Some folks do not know what it is like to live without cushions or other people to fall back on. I have neither, and I also have two teenage children that depend on me. I suppose that I could have done what a LOT of people seem to do. I could have quit my job years ago, sold off everything, and turned to the government for assisted living :rolleyes:. Being a single mother and all, hell the guv'ment would have paid for my living expenses and they would have provided a complete education in any field I would have wanted to choose. That's not a lifestyle that I wanted for myself, nor did I want to introduce it to my children.

Anyway.... of those that say just quit the job and pursue your dreams.... How many of you have had a companion, girlfriend, wife, parents, or government assistance that supported you while you pursued your dreams???? Let's get some REAL perspective here? I'd like to know how some of you just drop what you don't like and do what you love without someone else helping to pave the roads to success for you... :confused:

• Members

If you want a good lifestyle and nice things and you aren't born rich or didn't win the lottery, get a big settlement, etc, you're going to have to bust ass for a long time to get to a comfortable position. As my boss says, you'd be better off pushing hard when you're young and before kids, so you will have made it by the time you get older, rather than saying you'll push harder once you get a higher salary, etc.

I had set myself up into a pretty good position in life by the time I was 29. Had a very nice home with only 7 years left to pay on it, while having a posh mangerial position in Quality Control and a bit of money to spare in the bank.... No kids, no husband.... perfect credit ratings..... Then I got married and started a family. Marriage and DIVORCE can do a LOT of damage and cause you to make decisions that have long term effects on career and finances. I won't get into it... but .... sometimes you have to rebuild even when you had it all together before bringing a family into the picture.

• Members

You can say that again!!

Actually, I got out of my divorce pretty lucky - - extremely lucky, considering some of the horror stories I've heard. I still have my house, albeit with a new mortgage, a new car, a very short-term and small alimony... More luck than I deserved, I think...

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I had set myself up into a pretty good position in life by the time I was 29. Had a very nice home with only 7 years left to pay on it, while having a posh mangerial position in Quality Control and a bit of money to spare in the bank.... No kids, no husband.... perfect credit ratings..... Then I got married and started a family. Marriage and DIVORCE can do a LOT of damage and cause you to make decisions that have long term effects on career and finances. I won't get into it... but .... sometimes you have to rebuild even when you had it all together before bringing a family into the picture.

As far as the financial impact of a divorce, when I get married, there will be an iron clad prenup, or NO DEAL. :wave: I believe that everything each spouse has prior to the marriage should be off limits in a divorce, including the house I now own independently. Likewise if I make 5X as much as my future wife, I wouldn't be inclined to split 50/50 if we divorce either. :poke: That's why non-live in girlfriends rule, just trade them in for a younger model every few years when the Nag Factor gets to high. :love:

• Members

Talk about anxiety. I decided in late 2001 to go out on my own and start my own business (software based home automation.) The great thing about this type of thing is that you get to spend all of your savings to finance it, you work twice as hard, and you make a tenth as much (literally in my case), and no health insurance. So I'm now 44'ish, with nothing in the bank, and with things starting to fall apart and not enough money to fix them. I sold my home theater (bought back in the bubble years) to finance my little music studio. And I can never go do anything that might involve an injury since I couldn't afford to get it taken care of, and I live in fear of some health issue.

That's anxiety. And there are probably at least a few more years before it really starts to change, assuming it ever does of course. Starting a product based company is really hard. OTOH, it does mean that I can work when I'm ready to work and do music when I'm not, instead of having be forced to a schedule where I have to work whether I'm up for it or not. So it's a more efficient lifestyle definitely. And since I did almost literally nothing but work for the last five years and took the product a huge distance in that time, I can relax just a little bit now. I took my first little 'vacation' in over 5 years over the last couple weeks. I still have to work, even on vacation, but just not all day long.

• Members

That sounds great. I'm at 220 acres and 5 goats right now, and the organic garden was started this year. Five acres and two goats sounds more sane.

I also made a (forced) carreer change. I lost a lot of income, but you know what? It's gonna be better in the end. Thank goodness my "kid" is 22 years old now.

Ani, your situation is alot like my wife's: Making it to retirement seems like the best option, even if you aren't liking the work right now. Is it an option to find a lower stress position and wait out the rest of the time? Your schedule is nasty!

• Members

I think anyone can find the balance if they want to, and if they are lucky in their personal life.

I'm in sales, and I've had one hellofa year. I work my a** off. However, at closing time, 6pm during the week and 2pm on Saturdays, I run for the door and I do not do any work at home ever. The only time a customer is allowed to have my time after hours is if they are having difficulty with the product. Then I'm happy to help. If anyone tries to buy from me after hours, or talk product at social events, I politely inform them of my work hours and excuse myself.

My family time is my family time and my personal time is my personal time and I don't let many people steal that from me very often.

I'm more than willing to change occupations if a boss thinks he owns me 24/7. That seems to go against the American way of life, but my career is and always has been secondary to my family.

Don't be afraid. You will be surprised at the number of jobs out there if you are willing to start at the bottom.

I've always managed to get the bills paid.

The real trick is to keep the bills to a minimum.

• Members

Sorry but your response here seems to be a contradiction to your original post thread concerning life work balance etc. Being so concerned with this, you'll not escape the work trap. Deal with it or get away.
:D

Ani - - I believe this post is saying "it is necessary to be in the world without being part of it. Possible, but not easy... You have to first give up the desire for things in your job to make sense or be fair or, for that matter, give up any desires related to your job. It is simply not that important.

It is nothing but your time, traded for money.

If you let it become any larger than that, you already are standing with one leg in the trap. Stress and anxiety start to build and grow, almost imperceptibly, until you are enveloped in it.

Once you can shrug off all expectations that extend beyond a paycheck, troubles and issues from work will tend to roll off you like water off of a duck.

Archived