Strat trem arm

J.L.C.

• Members

I've played hardtails for a while now and before that I used a floyd so I'm new to strat trems. I screwed the arm in tonight (american series strat) and it gets really stiff tight near the bottom, which makes it tough to swing the arm around or get it out of the way.

Is that normal for strats?

On the floyd I could adjust how 'free' the swing of the arm was from dangling loose to staying where you put it. Is that possible on a strat or is swinging the arm around just threading/unthreading? Does that loosen up over time, it's a bit of a pain to not be able to kick the arm outta the way.

• Members

I've played hardtails for a while now and before that I used a floyd so I'm new to strat trems. I screwed the arm in tonight (american series strat) and it gets really stiff tight near the bottom, which makes it tough to swing the arm around or get it out of the way.

Is that normal for strats?

On the floyd I could adjust how 'free' the swing of the arm was from dangling loose to staying where you put it. Is that possible on a strat or is swinging the arm around just threading/unthreading? Does that loosen up over time, it's a bit of a pain to not be able to kick the arm outta the way.

This is normal. What you seemed to have done is just threaded the arm to far into the block. Just unthread the arm till it is loose and then you will be able swing the arm out of your way. I always just thread mine in until I feel it get tight and then back off a turn. The arm on a strat acts like the one on my Kahler trem.

Floyd rose trem arm uses a collar where you can adjust the tension of it.

• Members

Bump

It also seems to be angled toward the back of the bridge, is it just not threading right?

Is your bridge flush to the body? If so, the trem arm will be angled. To get it parallel, you will have to set it up to float.

Here is the link for Fender's recommended way to set up a strat.

http://www.fender.com/support/stratocaster.php

• Members

There's a tiny spring that you drop into the hole before screwing in the arm that keeps it from flopping around but it still moves very easily and stays where you put it. I don't think the new strats come with them or they get lost. I searched several stores before I found one that had them. Most people didn't know what I was talking about.

• Members

My Lite Ash Strat came without those springs (like the little springs in retracting pens) - I contacted the supplier and they sent about 10 of them in the post for free. They work really well.

I also wrap teflon tape (plumbing tape) around the end of the bar that you screw into the hole - this prevents any play between the threads and gives you a snug fit without having to screw the arm in too tight.

• Members
There's a tiny spring that you drop into the hole before screwing in the arm that keeps it from flopping around but it still moves very easily and stays where you put it. I don't think the new strats come with them or they get lost. I searched several stores before I found one that had them. Most people didn't know what I was talking about.

Like me...... :freak:

I am currently using Teflon tape to correct the flopping. Where is this spring exactly and is it adjustable?

• Members
Like me......
:freak:

I am currently usiong Teflon tape to correct the flopping. Where is this spring exactly and is it adjustable?

I use plumber's tape also. Need to replace it once in a while. A very few guys say their guitars (non-Fender I think) came with an additional tiny spring that keeps the action a little looser.

• Members

Yup, all normal for a Strat Trem.

... thus the reason the Floyd Rose was invented.. Well, one of the reasons..

The little spring drops down into the hole, so that it puts tension on the bottom of the bar, which in turn tightens teh contact between the threads on teh bar and the threads in the hole. Not a perfect fix, but it helps a little. I've used the tape for about 10 years now, it's great...

• Members

To keep from losing the little spring [since it can just fall out when the arm is not in the trem], i found a flat small round magnet about 3/4" in diameter. After removing the arm, if you put this magnet over the hole, then you won't lose the spring when you put the guitar in the case, for example.

Archived