Logic Studio

steadyb

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Good for you! So did I, just today. I was hoping it would help me streamline my workflow. As long as I've had Pro Tools (PT LE 6; now I'm on 7.3 and the Mbox 2 Pro) I feel my creativity has been stifled by it. I'm at the point where I only use Ableton Live for everything Reason can't handle. I'd like something that comes with a decent amount of plug-ins like Pitch Correction and sample-editing functionality.

After playing around with Plaid's track on Logic 8 in the Apple store, I turned to my friend who works there and gave her my credit card. I gotta thank Apple for their "Friends and Family Discount!"

If I really like it, I'll sell the Mbox 2 Pro and discs and consider Apogee or RME. It feels weird to consider dumping PT, but hey, if I don't use it . . .

• Members

I gotta thank Apple for their "Friends and Family Discount!"

Cool! Mind if I ask what kind of discount they offer for that?

I ordered mine on the website even though I have an Apple store only 3 miles from my house. Mine was an upgrade from Logic Express, so I wasn't sure if they'd be able to do it at the Apple store.

• Members
Cool! Mind if I ask what kind of discount they offer for that?

Not at all. It was roughly $150 off the list price. That's cheaper than what I could get, say, Antares for use with PT. As I said before, I like Pro Tools, but Im always looking for a faster workflow in an app that has the plug-ins I'd like. Having recorded an albums' worth of songs in Garageband, I'm hoping Logic lives up to my expectations.

Holy smokes! It arrived first thing this morning, and I ordered it yesterday morning! They don' t waste time, do they? Of course I'm so close to the "mothership" that you'd expect that kind of delivery here . . . I guess. :freak:

• Members
Holy smokes! It arrived first thing this morning, and I ordered it yesterday morning! They don' t waste time, do they? Of course I'm so close to the "mothership" that you'd expect that kind of delivery here . . . I guess.
:freak:

I ordered mine 2 days ago (Monday), and it got here today. I'm currently in the long process of swapping DVDs during the install.

• Members

While Logic is busy trying to analyze my large collection of Audio Unit plugins, I started reading the Logic 8 manual.

Here are a couple nice surprises::thu:
1) Logic can import rex files, and even includes a utility to batch convert them. Woo Hoo! They can be imported on an as-needed basis in the current project, or they can be converted into Apple loops and optionally added to the browser.
2) Existing Apple loops can be added to the Logic browser without creating a new copy of the loops. You have the option to create a new copy or to let them stay where they are, in which case Logic creates an alias to that folder. Very cool. Now I can see all the other loops I have right in the excellent browser.

One semi-bummer I found is that the Jam packs included come in caf format, not ordinary aiff apple loop format. What this means is that most other 3rd party apps won't be able to use them. For me, that's a bit of a bummer since they won't be available to use in Ableton Live.:cry:

• Members

One semi-bummer I found is that the Jam packs included come in caf format, not ordinary aiff apple loop format. What this means is that most other 3rd party apps won't be able to use them. For me, that's a bit of a bummer since they won't be available to use in Ableton Live.
:cry:

Wish I had noticed that BEFORE I deleted two collections off of my computer to make it simpler for Logic to do a complete install. :mad:

• Members

Here are a couple nice surprises:
:thu:
1) Logic can import rex files, and even includes a utility to batch convert them. Woo Hoo! They can be imported on an as-needed basis in the current project, or they can be converted into Apple loops and optionally added to the browser.

Another very handy feature is that you can 'copy as recycle loop' from the arrange page. Then paste as new doc in Recycle. Been playing with this with some drum tracks, and ending up with them in Stylus RMX. And yeah, it works with the audio apple loops :thu:

• Members
I installed on a new macbook with an 80gig hd. I let the installer do its thing and place all the files it demanded go on the system drive do just that, and all the files it gave the option of installing on another drive I put on an external.

All in all, it took around 3+ hours. It only took up about 20gigs on the internal. And including the software that Apple ships with the computer, I still have 40 gigs free. No need to panic here.

OTOH, with around 2000 pages of printed manuals (not including the electronic ones), that IS something to panic about.

The online help IS the manual.

:cool:

• Members

1) This product is pretty stable. It has not crashed yet. I did get a stuck MIDI note once which has been my only stability issue. However, I haven't tried doing a really big project yet...
2) I've scratched my head a few times, but for the most part, the program is pretty intuitive. I saw somebody at AES showing how to select audio waveforms and snap to transient beginings. That would be cool, but I haven't figured out how to do it myself yet.
3) The built-in sample editor is pretty good. The DSP functions available are pretty useful. I wouldn't use it to create samples for a sampler because it lacks some of the DSP features that I get with Peak Pro. Nevertheless, for quick edits and doing DSP function that are tempo related, I give it a thumbs up.

I haven't really played with the vast collection of synths and effects that come with it yet, but the little I have done was mostly positive.

• Members
1) This product is pretty stable. It has not crashed yet. I did get a stuck MIDI note once which has been my only stability issue. However, I haven't tried doing a really big project yet...

2) I've scratched my head a few times, but for the most part, the program is pretty intuitive. I saw somebody at AES showing how to select audio waveforms and snap to transient beginings. That would be cool, but I haven't figured out how to do it myself yet.

3) The built-in sample editor is pretty good. The DSP functions available are pretty useful. I wouldn't use it to create samples for a sampler because it lacks some of the DSP features that I get with Peak Pro. Nevertheless, for quick edits and doing DSP function that are tempo related, I give it a thumbs up.

I haven't really played with the vast collection of synths and effects that come with it yet, but the little I have done was mostly positive.

So far, I'd have to say the same thing, although I still prefer Reason or Live's MIDI implementation . . . though I admit that is mostly out of my still-limited understanding of Logic's workflow. And that "snap-to-transient" thing you were mentioning: that's cool!

All of these things leave me thinking it's going to be a LONG autumn and winter. There is SO much to learn it's ridiculous. I mean, I still haven't mastered Reason, Ableton Live or Pro Tools yet, so adding Logic to the bunch means a lot of after-school studying.;)

Oh yeah, and don't even think about running it on a slower machine unless you're just sketching things out. It works OK for a few guitar tracks, plus scoring for when I'm at work and need a quick part printed out. This was definitely optimized for the newer Macs.

But I'm loving it!

• Members

Hey logic gurus. Perhaps you can answer a few basic questions. I don't do much music, I make radio commercials and audio for TV commercials. (Please don't throw rotten tomatoes, its a better way to make a living than selling insurance or digging graves) Point being, I just want good solid recording of voice, editing, reverbs, compression, and mixing. Thats it, no midi, no VST etc.

My questions are these:

1- Is Logic Express just the bare bones of Logic without all the VST and midi stuff that I won't use anyway?

2- Will it work with my Digi Mbox's?

3- Am I the only person in the world who thinks that BloatTools ... I mean Protools is the most over rated thing since Vanilla Ice?

Thanks for any help you folks might be!

Pipes

• Members

Hey logic gurus. Perhaps you can answer a few basic questions. I don't do much music, I make radio commercials and audio for TV commercials. (Please don't throw rotten tomatoes, its a better way to make a living than selling insurance or digging graves) Point being, I just want good solid recording of voice, editing, reverbs, compression, and mixing. Thats it, no midi, no VST etc.

My questions are these:

1- Is Logic Express just the bare bones of Logic without all the VST and midi stuff that I won't use anyway?

2- Will it work with my Digi Mbox's?

3- Am I the only person in the world who thinks that BloatTools ... I mean Protools is the most over rated thing since Vanilla Ice?

Thanks for any help you folks might be!

Pipes

The short answer is that Logic Express would probably work just fine for the application you state.

With regard to your questions:

1- VSTs are "plug-ins" that are generally used on the Windows platform, although they are used in Mac apps as well, but not Logic. No version of Logic comes with any VSTs. Instead, Logic uses the Mac version of the plug-in format, which is called Audio Units (or AUs). By the way, the reverb and compression in Logic are handled with some bundled AU plug-ins. With regard to the content differences between Pro and Express, it's mostly stuff you would not care about for your app.

2- Logic Express will work fine with your Mbox.

3- No comment. To me, Pro Tools is a great program/platform for doing audio and video postproduction and/or plain old general tracking/mixing.

• Members

I hate it when I know more than tech support does

*sigh* Why do things have to be this way...?

I'ts hard to believe now that there was a time when Emagic provided the support they offered... not to mention (what was it called???) that WORLD of organized Q&As accessible online too, where you rarely didn't find the answer you were looking for (forgot the name... already... ashamed!)

• Members

Hey - I dig the picture of your "dead" Korg Polysix...

I remember when my younger teenage brother was looking into getting his first synths - this was back in probably '79-'80. I knew more about keyboards than keyboard players - I told him to get a Polysix (first affordable and programmable polysynth - about 1/3 the price of a Prophet 5). Even though it was a single osc per voice, it was a fun piece to play with.

• 3 months later...
  • Members

I took the Logic Studio plunge about two weeks ago and, honestly, love it. I'm a recent Mac convert (not due to Logic), have been using Nuendo on PC since 2001. While there is a learning curve, it's not so bad. Luckily, they've got Logic 8 built so you don't really need to do much in the Environment section, as I have no idea what that's all about, LOL!

For the record, I originally installed Logic while my system was running Leopard. Worked fine, but I had some unrelated issues, so I reverted to Tiger last week and reinstalled Logic into Tiger. It does seem a good bit more snappy on Tiger. Just on $.02

Regarding comparisons between Logic and other DAW's out there, I can only comment on Nuendo as that's all I have used, and v.1 at that. I have been involved with projects that used Pro Tools (not sure the versions). Between Nuendo and Logic 8, my projects come out sounding better. Dunno what it is, maybe it's that Mac Voodoo, LOL! But I'm sold.
Something I recommend for anyone using Logic 8 is go to http://www.macprovideo.com and get their Logic 101 videos. While i didn't care for the musical example they use, it's a very good way to get up and running with using Logic. They have some others as well, worth checking out.

Hope this helps someone!

• 1 month later...

Archived