i just received my first issue of guitarplayer magazine

sftsyh

• Members

I am a subscriber. I like it. It is more aimed at my age group than GW.

I don't happen to agree with the critics in here about the reviews, but that's just my opinion.

You mean all the people here that know more about guitars than the GP editors:confused:

• Members

it's not really about the tabs. i never even look at them. it's just that GW is completely devoid of any sort of substantial content. they rehash the same {censored} over and over again and most of their content seems like it would only appeal to 15 year olds.

GP is a lot more mature and has well written columns and feature articles as well as lessons that are worth a {censored}. it's actually bearable to read cover to cover.

I'm awaiting my first issue in the mail (1st one due July 11) as I'm a new subscriber too, but have purchased issues from the newsstands. I decided to subscribe since I haven't seen any issues in the stores since April here in Colorado Springs.

• Members
I've been reading GP on and off since 1977.

I finally let it lapse for good last year. Editors and reviewers who don't know what they're talking about and interviews with people I don't care about. Things pretty much bottomed out when they started dedicating the upper two inches of the cover as product placement glamor shot.

I don't miss it a bit.

It was a much better magazine when Tom Wheeler ran it; Dan Forte and Jas Obrecht did the interviews; and columns by Gruhn and Anderton

I read it because we get it at work. I'm not sure I would pay for it anymore. IMHO, Guitarist (UK) is every bit as good, and they don't always recycle the same usual suspects that GP seem to focus on (they may have another set of usual suspects though). I still think that GP is among the best in the biz when it comes to artist interviews. Gear testing and lessons have gotten worse/more superficial.
I agree that the WheelerForte/Obrecht line were better overall. More indept intervies, far better lessons (yay Arnie Berle :thu:) etc. Coming back to those issues, they doo seem a good deal more geeky and insular though, and I'm not sure todays marketplace will stand for that ( I OTOH feel right at home)

• Members

It was a much better magazine when Tom Wheeler ran it; Dan Forte and Jas Obrecht did the interviews; and columns by Gruhn and Anderton.

+1000

I also remember the vinyl 45 in the middle of the page. it was the first time I heard Steve Vai. The first page ever released was the Attitude song. About a year later Carvin had a vinyl 45 ad for one of thier amps. It was Steve Vai again. It was just him a strat, a cord and amp. He played Blue Powder and it was amazing. The tone was to die for. I wish I still had that version. When I heard the version on Passion and Warfare it was no where the same thing. I was severly disappointed.

• Members

The Tommy Tedesco columns were pretty funny, too.

FZ even did a column for a while.

As were those stuffy pompous Fripp columns - I was never sure whether he was pulling my leg, or really was an annoying pratt: Good fun to read

• Members

Only one mention of Guitarist? csb (I think that's his nick here, the guy that posts here that writes the "Guitar Geek") won't be happy!

I've read lots of different ones, content wise I like Total Guitar and Guitarist the best, the only thing is they're quite expensive here, especially for someone without a job so I hardly buy them anymore. I've got 4 or so TG issues, 1 Guitarist, and 2 or 3 Guitarone.. I think it is.

• Members

Only one mention of Guitarist? csb (I think that's his nick here, the guy that posts here that writes the "Guitar Geek") won't be happy!

I've read lots of different ones, content wise I like Total Guitar and Guitarist the best, the only thing is they're quite expensive here, especially for someone without a job so I hardly buy them anymore. I've got 4 or so TG issues, 1 Guitarist, and 2 or 3 Guitarone.. I think it is.

If Charles writes his column anything like his posts, it sounds pretty interesting. However, as you point out, his magazine is really expensive here, and I couldn't see buying it just for his column. Guitar magazines as a whole are just kind of dull, because they don't write about stuff I care about anymore. And the "totally rad and gnarly" writing in most of them is just annoying.

• Members

I like Guitar & Bass from accross the pond myself.

Good gear reviews and not too much of the wankery that we've come to expect guitar magazines have.

There's even a used gear classifieds in back that's free for readers to list in (too bad it's in the UK).

One thing I really like is their "secret shoppa" insert in each issue. They go and, in secret (naturally), review a guitar shop somewhere in the country. It's interesting to see their thoughts on shops over there and how the ones near me compare.

I like that one too. In fact, I realy enjoy the GB mags way more. They aren't stuck on only USA or GB made guitars are the only ones worth a spit and make no bones about liking Squires/Epi's and what not.

I'm getting tired of the reveiws in GP, GW, G1 and all the state side only reviewing high dollar guitars/amp/pedals that the average guitar player or bass player for that fact, could ever afford and gig with. I mean, realy, How many people are out gigging their $3000+ guitar and amps? I see it here in NY and in FL, everyone pretty much uses less expensive guitars and amps for these bar/small club gigs.

Don't get me wrong, I love those reveiws, but at least balance it out with some not so expensive things. And I'm not talking some round up deal where they get like "The best 20 guitars under $700" deals, where you only get a paragraph or 2, or a bi-line about the piece.

• Members

If Charles writes his column anything like his posts, it sounds pretty interesting. However, as you point out, his magazine is really expensive here, and I couldn't see buying it just for his column. Guitar magazines as a whole are just kind of dull, because they don't write about stuff I care about anymore. And the "totally rad and gnarly" writing in most of them is just annoying.

I can only go by the one I've seen, and that one was quite entertaining. He was talking about inventing the PRS Soapbar or whatever the PRS with the p90s is called. I could probably scan it, it's probably 2 or so years old.

I went back and read that article a couple of times.

• Members

I'm a GP subscriber and a big +1 to the articles and interviews, absolutely fabulous. However, the gear reviews are getting a bit ridiculous. The only guitar in the latest issue under $1000 is the Godin jazz archtop. Most of the guitars are over $2000. I just don't believe they are serving their general readership by completely ignoring midrange and affordable gear. Of course they do run cluster reviews like the "10 Best Under $500", but those articles never provide the depth I would like to see. This was one of the main reasons I started FrugalGuitarist.com

Props to the 2 UK recommendations. Guitarist and Guitar & Bass are both incredible mags. The web design mags in the UK are also leaps and bounds better than the American versions. I would subscribe to numerous UK mags if it wasn't so expensive to get them in America...

• Members

I've decided to let my GP subscription lapse and I'm going back to GW (even though I'm not a big fan). I just wasn't finding that much of interest in the GP.

But GW sent me an offer for 1 year including the DVD-Rom for $19.95 and I thought that was too good a deal to resist. Doing it for the tabs.

• Members

And for great Gear reviews in a mag, I dig What Guitar? from GB as well.

What Guitar? (from the same Future Publishing stable as Guitarist and Total Guitar) folded several years ago.

Archived