What can you tell me about foreign guitar factories?

slodge

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

care to site a source for those figures?
:confused:

Ya bud, a friend of mine worked in the Carvin factory and at the Fender Corona factory back a few yrs ago. Gibson runs adds in the Tennesean on a regular basis.BTW,My friend now runs a production line at RR Donnely:thu:

• Members

I think the writer "read" that one wrong. The article also states that if they make their quota, they get off very early on Fridays, so they most likely do it to have a longer weekend. I guess.

No, I read it. And you're right, they probably work through lunch to leave early. (I do it myself on occasion.)

But the article did imply that they did so because they love their work so much, and only mentioned the leaving early thing a paragraph or so down without connecting the two.

So it did cause me to roll my eyes a little.

• Members

One big mistake people make IMHO when comparing overseas to US...they take the wage info and use it as if it is a US worker. Some of these "sweatshops" are the only available jobs...without them these people may starve. I am totally against child labor, forced labor, and dangerous work conditions by the way.

I understand that in many countries a living wage is significantly lower than what it is in the US.

But that's not what I was asking about.

"Child labor, forced labor, and dangerous work conditions" for significantly less than a living wage are pretty much what define a "sweatshop."

Personally I have a problem with exploiting people's desperation and poverty so that I can have cheap consumer goods, and I try to avoid it.

To me it's sorta like picking up a 13 year old hooker and patting yourself on the back for helping her make a living.

BTW - I've never heard anything to make me believe that Fender/Squier or Gibson/Epiphone has been anything but responsible with their overseas labor, and was just curious to see if anyone knew any different.

• Members

I trust epiphone's new chinese epi-only plant.

I am weary about anything "contracted out" to Indonesia or china by squire or SX or anyone.

China is on its way to being a very strong and liveable economy in many areas.

The permanent factories are built in these areas, because they can gain stable workers, who won't leave when a new company bids them 2 cents an hour extra to work weekends(or die off during times where food is more expensive). I don't trust the temp factories farther than I can throw them.

As a rule of them. Buy from someone you know, who says where the gear is made, and NEVER buy a fake.

• Members

The future is mapped out.

China , India and Russia will become world leaders and the USA, UK and Europe will supply the cheap labour.

The tide is turning.

Then again, global warming is going to kill us all anyway, so who give's a feck ?

I just want to have some group orgy sex with females from the following nations prior to kicking the bucket:

China

India

Japan

Another one from China

Two from the top please Carol

A Vowel

Wales

Ireland ( about 3 will do )

Another one from China

The Chinese womens swimming team

Another Vowel please Carol

• Members

..........and the USA, UK and Europe will supply the cheap labour.

You're going to have to give up an awful lot if you plan to be cheaper than China, India in the foreseeable future. More likely your living standards will drop as imported goods become more expensive.

However the basic premise is correct - the picture has changed already.

US and European governments need to realise it is not the same game any more and will never be the way it was.

Here's an idea - stop shipping stuff around the world and live on what you have near at hand. Import embargos? If necessary.

Shoot me down.:thu:

Archived