1st Guitar Lesson Tomorrow. Any Advice?

Doctor Morbius

• Members

Finally getting around to taking lessons. Is there anything I should look for or ask? The only music lessons I've ever had were from music instructors in Jr. High and High School and I can't remember a thing from that long ago (except that I always wanted to tap Donna Jones but she didn't know I existed :rolleyes:).

I've already conveyed that I'm a hobbyist and am not going to be interested in heavy theory. Some sure, but not lots. Perhaps later if I get more into it.

I know I want to learn how to alternate pick. I can already do so but I want to be able to do it FAST - as in Dick Dale Misirlou fast. :rawk:

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Perhaps investing in some type of recorder, a metronome, and an empty music sheet book.

You will obviously want the metronome to want to practice alternate picking with. I suggest a recorder to perhaps record parts of, or the entire lesson so you can review it (cheap tape would be fine). An empty music sheet book for them to write notes/lessons in also.

Oh, and I'm sure you know already, but just go in there relaxed...as that has been my mistake in the past. :-)

I hope this is what you are asking for. :-)

• Members

Go in with humility and expect (or ask that) your bad habits will be brought to light. You probably know more than you think but you not know what you don't know.

LawnMowerMonkINS_468x622.jpg

Thank you Sensei. And after lesson very important roll rice paper. :D

Yes, I absolutely want to be shown my bad habits. That's one of the main reasons I want to take lessons. I don't want bad habits to be a burden a few years from now when I'm ready to take things further but am hindered by my faults.

• Members

Perhaps investing in some type of recorder, a metronome, and an empty music sheet book.

You will obviously want the metronome to want to practice alternate picking with. I suggest a recorder to perhaps record parts of, or the entire lesson so you can review it (cheap tape would be fine). An empty music sheet book for them to write notes/lessons in also.

Oh, and I'm sure you know already, but just go in there relaxed...as that has been my mistake in the past. :-)

I hope this is what you are asking for. :-)

I already know I need a metronome. I have a countrynome now and it just doesn't fit the bill.

And yes, I do need to relax. Seems I can do fine when sitting around the house playing guitar alone but whenever someone comes over I screw up badly.

• Members

I already know I need a metronome. I have a countrynome now and it just doesn't fit the bill.

And yes, I do need to relax. Seems I can do fine when sitting around the house playing guitar alone but whenever someone comes over I screw up badly.

Hey Doc,

If you are interested in a recommendation, you can't do better than a Boss MicroBR. You can record the lesson with it, reply it, practice to it, load other songs on it, use the metronome drum patterns for metronome of course, and then record your own practice for review......loop any segments also. Plus with the built in tuner and effects, you've got quite the little deal for about $229. Of course, for extensive home use, get the AC Adapter. I love my mine. Just a little suggestion. :wave:

• Members

Be humble and see where he's going to take you. I assume if you don't read music? Thats where you'll start. All the notes in the chromatic scale of the first position.

Even if you are a natural, you'll need to start here. Reading music is a must.

• Members
Don't be afraid to ask questions. There are no bad questions.

I have had a few students like that and it really ends up holding them back when they're too shy to ask.

I'm never afraid to ask questions, even if they seem silly. I already know I'm a dork so I can't be embarrassed by something that trivial. :D

• Members

I remember when I was 10 my dad started to think I would like lessons, so he took me to a guy he knew at the local guitar shop.. mind you I started playing when I was 4, so this guy picks up his guitar to show off a bit to I guess impress me, well I started playing along with him....

that was my 1 and only lesson..

• Members

sorry for my story, my one tip I would give that relates to my story is to keep an open mind, listen to what they tell you and take criticism without being insulted..

that's why I only had the one lesson, so learn from others mistakes is what I'm trying to impart to you..

• Members

Talk talk talk to your teacher. You are an adult that has definite tastes in music and you already know what styles you are interested in.

Make sure your teacher knows EXACTLY what you are looking to gain from lessons, what types of music you are interested in, your influences etc, how much time you REALISTICALLY have to practice(not how much you will tell him at the time because you are fired up, but how much you REALLY ARE going to practice)

Ask him what his credentials are for delivering the kind of instruction that will bring the kind of results you are looking for,

make sure the guy can not only play well, but teach well, check references, and then....

THEN...........

Once you are SURE he understands what you are looking to achieve, and you are sure of his abilities,

listen to and do everything he says. Ask alot of questions when you dont understand something, and if he tells you something that sounds a little suspect or fishy, at least give him the benefit of the doubt until you can post the question here and WE will STRAIGHTEN HIS ASS OUT!!!!!!

• Members

Talk talk talk to your teacher. You are an adult that has definite tastes in music and you already know what styles you are interested in.

Make sure your teacher knows EXACTLY what you are looking to gain from lessons, what types of music you are interested in, your influences etc, how much time you REALISTICALLY have to practice(not how much you will tell him at the time because you are fired up, but how much you REALLY ARE going to practice)

Ask him what his credentials are for delivering the kind of instruction that will bring the kind of results you are looking for,

make sure the guy can not only play well, but teach well, check references, and then....

THEN...........

Once you are SURE he understands what you are looking to achieve, and you are sure of his abilities,

listen to and do everything he says. Ask alot of questions when you dont understand something, and if he tells you something that sounds a little suspect or fishy, at least give him the benefit of the doubt until you can post the question here and WE will STRAIGHTEN HIS ASS OUT!!!!!!

This guy has a music degree and a friend of mine has checked him out so I'm confident he'll be fine. I've already conveyed the kind of music I'm interested in learning also. And he understands that I am and plan to remain a hobbyist.

Practice time generally isn't an issue as I have more than most people due to a disability. Better make that two disabilities but we won't go into that on a public forum. :freak:

===============================================================

I want to thank everyone for the advice so far. I didn't realize there were this many people logged into the forum at this time of day on a Sunday. I'll check back after a while but need to get a few things taken care of and get a little practice in too.

Thanks again!!

• Members

Spend the majority of your first lesson talking about your goals, and how he'll help you get there.

I have no real interest in jazz guitar, but I have a teacher who insisted on spending some time there to get me familiar with different chord shapes and to get me more comfortable up and down the neck. I never play those songs, but the time spent developing those skills have been valuable elsewhere, so it was time well spent.

The trap I've always fallen into (and I've taken lessons on and off for a few decades now) is getting to a point where I'm walking in with a new song every week and essentially paying $30 a half hour for a transcription service. That's kinda costly for something I can get off the internet free.

On the other hand, we've spent the last month with me coming in with a transcription I did myself and having him check my work. That's been real valuable.

• Members

Cool Doc! I've thought about taking some lessons myself from a guy who teaches in our local shop - he just impresses the hell out of me every time he picks up a guitar. More than a couple times he's been playing something and I've said, "I wish I could do that" and he's said "Ill teach you", and why I don't take him up on it, I don't know. It would be worth every penny spent and then some. One of these days.....

• Members

Buy a metronome, chromatic tuner, and Guitar scale book.

Learn every open chord(C, G, E, A, D, major and minor).

Then you're ready.

A list of songs you wanna learn will help.

Find some guys to jam with after a while, playing with other people is the best thing you can do for your skill.

• Members

when he's ready to start with the lesson tell him politely to hold on as you spark a big fatty...

if he's kewl with it then jam on..

I've been lurking here for a while and this is the best advice I think I' ve ever seen. :thu:

Archived