GFS Mean 90 or SD Phatt Cat?

erky32

• Members

Thanks for advice, - I'm not familiar with p90 sound , never had them - but the sound I've liked is from PRS, with a very sensitive cleanlow volume - almost acoustic, up to a driving lead with good attack. I'm replacing dull sounding stock pups on a semi.

• Members

...mmm..somebody else recommended the same, - they're probably twice the cost, but given the work involved and the hope of a better range, I think I might go the SD route. I used SD 59 & JB on my LP 15 years ago to replace the ceramics and have been dead happy with their quality, so thats another point in favour! thanks to all for yr help! (I'm new to this site - I'll use it again)

• Members

...mmm..somebody else recommended the same, - they're probably twice the cost, but given the work involved and the hope of a better range, I think I might go the SD route. I used SD 59 & JB on my LP 15 years ago to replace the ceramics and have been dead happy with their quality, so thats another point in favour! thanks to all for yr help! (I'm new to this site - I'll use it again)

Don't think because the duncans are more expensive, that their the better pickup. Don't get me wrong, I think SD makes great pickups, but so does GFS and the quality seems to be on an even plane w/ SD and DiMarzio.

I have a mean 90 in the neck of my Agile Valkyrie (mahogany body, set neck), and its a fantastic versatile pickup, that sounds great clean, or with any amount of dirt you throw at it. Records really well too. My one complaint with the pickup is that it can sound slightly muddy, depending on the amp your using (Although, I have heard the same comments about the phat cats), so it may not be the best choice for super clean, acoustic like playing, but for everything else the pickup rules (okay maybe not metal, but my guess is you wont be playing metal on a semi hollow)

Also, I think the dream 90 may work better for the acoustic piece, and put a mean in the bridge... May work.

I like this idea, according to the descriptions on the guitarfetish site, the dream is supposed to me brigther and less "raw" sounding than the mean. Would probably pair very nicely w/ a mean in the bridge.

You can also email Jay @ guitarfetish, and tell him what type of sound you're going for. He knows his pups better than anyone else, and tends to reply to customer emails pretty quickly.:thu:

• Members

Jay suggested 2 Mean-90s rather than mixing. I just have to make the choice I suppose - I get the impression that SDs are most versatile, but GFS would be half the price (for me in France) - thanks to all for help!

Archived