What's going on with the Fender Light Ash Stratocaster? 629.99!

elsupermanny14

• Members

What is the difference between Light Ash and the Alder of the Highway 1? Is this a USA Fender, it does have 22 frets on pearl inlays with a 2 point trem? It seems American made.

If this guitar is American then wouldn't this be the best deal for an American Fender? $630 with Seymour Duncan's...sounds like a GREAT deal to me!

• Members

The Lite Ash I had had very microphonic pickups. Useless with any kind of gain. Also the frets were pretty uneven, so it was impossible to get really good action on it without fretwork. You get what you pay for.

• Moderators
The Lite Ash I had had very microphonic pickups. Useless with any kind of gain. Also the frets were pretty uneven, so it was impossible to get really good action on it without fretwork. You get what you pay for.

Apart from the fact that using Al IIs with gain sounds a tad odd, those SD pups are among the sweetest Strat pups around, maybe they weren't the originals and maybe you didn't get the heights right?:idk:

• Members
Apart from the fact that using Al IIs with gain sounds a tad odd, those SD pups are among the sweetest Strat pups around, maybe they weren't the originals and maybe you didn't get the heights right?
:idk:

I've been playing Strats since 1974. I know my way around them. They were original pickups, the guitars was setup properly and they were very microphonic.

On the other hand, I had a Lite Ash Tele and the SD pickups in it were fantastic.

• Members

Our bass player has a light ash tele. I wasn't too impressed with it when I played it at his place. To be fair though he doesn't really take care of his instruments like I do. If I actually spent some time with it & did a setup etc., it would probably feel & sound better. The input jack definitely needed some work, it kept falling out.

• Moderators

The asian ash species they use on those is not very similar to the american swamp ash that makes a good tonewood.

American hard ssh is not very similar to swamp ash, ash species in general just makes good guitars. The Japanese have been using Sen for years, which while usually referred to as ash is a member of the ivy family. To be fair, ashes, poplars, alders are all in the same ballpark. The guitar will be coloured far more by the pickups, bridge and nut, and sustain by the quality of the neck joint

• Members

As you said before - the SD Alnico II's are 'among the sweetest Strat pups around.'

Something about the Lite Ash's I've played is kinda lifeless and dull. I'm not sure if it's the wood or if the finish is thick or what, but these aren't the bargain they seem to be. Check out Frets99 for an import guitar w/ good pickups that sounds better than the Lite Ash strats I've played (which is only two, so not an overwhelmingly large sample). I've played one tele, and it was a little better than the stat, but I've played better for $630.

• Moderators

As you said before - the SD Alnico II's are 'among the sweetest Strat pups around.'

Something about the Lite Ash's I've played is kinda lifeless and dull. I'm not sure if it's the wood or if the finish is thick or what, but these aren't the bargain they seem to be. Check out Frets99 for an import guitar w/ good pickups that sounds better than the Lite Ash strats I've played (which is only two, so not an overwhelmingly large sample). I've played one tele, and it was a little better than the stat, but I've played better for $630.

A decent block and a new nut is all they need, and the SD Al IIs lowered right down to just above the pickguard

• Members

That Warmoth page ignores the big differences between Northern Hard Ash (Fraxinus americana) and Green (Swamp) Ash (Fraxinus pennsylvanica), which are the adaptations due to growth in saturated conditions - pore spaces open up and become spongier (aerenchymous), which leads to it being lighter weight.

The 'Lite Ash' guitars kind of imply this lighter weight, but Sen shares more in common with hard Ash or even Elm.

• Moderators

That Warmoth page ignores the big differences between Northern Hard Ash (Fraxinus americana) and Green (Swamp) Ash (Fraxinus pennsylvanica), which are the adaptations due to growth in saturated conditions - pore spaces open up and become spongier (aerenchymous), which leads to it being lighter weight.

Swamp ash is actually Fraxinus nigra, apart from that pretty close. Some of the nicest swamp ash comes form the bayous of Louisiana, where growth below the waterline is particularly prized

• Moderators

I ordered one last Friday and will be here tomorrow. I'm hoping I'll like it.

I think you'll be able to sort it out so you will like it.....you'll like the neck:) the back has a very thin coat of satin poly and the front is nigh on unfinished, but I think there's a light spray of poly, but it looks completely unfinished

Archived