how do you get horrible stickers off a guitar?

chrisebrooks06

• Members

GOO GONE.....at your local supermarket or hardware store. takes off nearly anything, including sharpie marker.

Yep. You'll have to do some work though before you get to the goo gone stage. I just did this to a used guitar that was covered in stickers, every inch. For the goo gone to work well, you really have to remove all of the stickers first (lots of thumbnail action). Then, once you're left with the black sticky stuff, goo gone is your best friend. BTW, get the orange kind, as the regular kind smells like ass and lingers.

• Members

be careful with "goo gone" it can wreck some guitar finishes... i've found the best way is to carefully peel as much of the sticker off first and then put some wd40 on it and let it sit an hour or 2... dw40 takes off the sticky backing and does NOT damage the paint/finish. goo gone works too but it also has been known to damage the laquer or paint on certain guitars...

be careful.

GOO GONE.....at your local supermarket or hardware store. takes off nearly anything, including sharpie marker.

• Members

be careful with "goo gone" it can wreck some guitar finishes... i've found the best way is to carefully peel as much of the sticker off first and then put some wd40 on it and let it sit an hour or 2... dw40 takes off the sticky backing and does NOT damage the paint/finish. goo gone works too but it also has been known to damage the laquer or paint on certain guitars...

be careful.

+1. I recently got a Charvel model one that was covered in stickers. Used this method, and the results were perfect.

• Members

for vinyl stickers i've always warmed them up with a hair dryer to get the sticky parts warm and gooey, then they normally just peel off.

This has ALWAYS worked for me. I use a NEW single edge razor blade to lift up a corner then just peal it off. If a few globs of adhesive stick to the finish, I just use the rest of the sticker and "blot" the area till the remaining stuff comes off. Then jsut regular Dunlop guitar cleaner/polish.

I would say, however, that this is probably best left to poly coated guitars as laquer finish might come off with the sticky. But most people that buy laquer coated guitars don't put stickers on them...

Archived