n00b w/ a couple questions

AiL45

• Members

hey wazup everyone.

ive been playing electric guitar w/ my friends custom strat he was making a while back.

and finally just picked up my own.

got a Al-2000, heres a pic...

l_a6feec67f3959dda3ac2fbbb6a59c1e2.jpg

well yea back to topic.

seems ive been spoiled w/ my friends guitar so the fret buzz, kinda muddy sounding pickups, and small details are getting on my nerves so wanted to start fixing mine up as well.

list of things im already going to do are..

- Graphite Nut

- Ez-Lock Tuners

- Square Orange Caps .022uF

- Change Toggle Switch

- Set of GFS Fat Pat Black Nickel Pickups

well heres the questions...

1) for my pot setup..

i would like something like this..

KnobSetup.jpg

the srv circuit is this in guitarfetish...

http://store.guitarfetish.com/onsexcimatou.html

but the problem is I dont want 1 tone.

so does anyone know if when the SRV isnt active if it becomes the other tone?

i dont think it does..

so instead is it possible to have a push/pull pot for tone so when its down its bridge and up its neck? or thats not possible?

2) or instead for the pot setup

http://store.guitarfetish.com/guprgaourbeu.html

would that be any good. it sounds like it would be great but dont want to drill to make room for a 5th pot, and have no idea what he meant in his option 2, which he said..

"Option 2 is what I like- buy the 50K Audio pot from us (Search for item # F30). Now you just feed the output rom your toggle switch directly to the circuit, jack the on board gain pot, and use the volume pot as a Master Gain control- Now the entire signal chain becomes LOW IMPEDANCE- NICE!"

3) whats the diff between mono and stereo jacks?

i know that Mono is standard, one direction. Stereo lets you split the signal between left and right. but what exactly does stereo do, i dont really et how you would do it or etc.

thanks ahead of time for any help.

• Members

Welcome to HCEG.

So you liked your friend's custom built Strat copy and then went and bought an Agile LP copy which is a different guitar entirely and now you want to change a whole lot of things?

Aside from curing fret buzz and getting the action to where you like it,...tweak your tone and volume controls on the guitar and amp to find what you like.

If you want a Strat sound, get a Strat.

• Members

Stereo out put jacks on a guitar is a redundant thing.

I've got a 88 Gibson Lucille with two out put jacks.

One is for mono and the other is for running out in stereo and separating the two HB's. Like,...what for? It's difficult to pan between the two. So maybe I might want to send each signal to a separate channel or amp? Too much hassle! I don't want to have to tweak my tone any more than I have to.

Stereo out is good when it's from a stereo chorus or Delay pedal-outs into separate amps far apart. So you get a panned chorus like real Leslie organ speakers or ping pong echo delays from left to right.

Stereo is good for this kind of sound coloration but a waste of time other wise IMO!

• Members

Welcome to HCEG.

So you liked your friend's custom built Strat copy and then went and bought an Agile LP copy which is a different guitar entirely and now you want to change a whole lot of things?

Aside from curing fret buzz and getting the action to where you like it,...tweak your tone and volume controls on the guitar and amp to find what you like.

If you want a Strat sound, get a Strat.

thx 4 the welcome, and yes i did get a completely different guitar.

why? because we have diff tastes in what we want to play.

he likes funk, blues, and cleaner sounds. I like hard old music, and distortion.

so no i dont want to sound like a strat.

and i fail to see how you think by me wanted to fix fret buzz and all the other problems from picking up a w.e guitar would seem like im trying to sound like a strat.

ive messed w/ my tone and etc, doesnt make up the fact the pickups are crap and the guitar needs work.

so please if your not gonna say anything useful, dont post again.

kthxbye.

edit: just saw the 2nd post

thats better thx 4 the info

• Members

The SRV circuit runs on a 9v battery in your guitar. Don't waste your time. You will eventually get into stomp boxes. And also a pedal board. It'll have all that stuff and an adapter to run all the boxes without batteries.

Batteries are a stupid thing unless you really need them like in a wireless transmitter.

• Members

The SRV circuit runs on a 9v battery in your guitar. Don't waste your time. You will eventually get into stomp boxes. And also a pedal board. It'll have all that stuff and an adapter to run all the boxes without batteries.

Batteries are a stupid thing unless you really need them like in a wireless transmitter.

so what would you consider a good pot setup then?

you think just grab 4 500k pots, 2 tone, 2 volume?

and leave the effects to pedals and etc?

• Members

thx 4 the welcome, and yes i did get a completely different guitar.

why? because we have diff tastes in what we want to play.

he likes funk, blues, and cleaner sounds. I like hard old music, and distortion.

so no i dont want to sound like a strat.

and i fail to see how you think by me wanted to fix fret buzz and all the other problems from picking up a w.e guitar would seem like im trying to sound like a strat.

How could you think that by my saying you should correct fret buzz and action will help you to sound more like a Strat? I simply meant, fix the obvious and try to work with what you've got.

ive messed w/ my tone and etc, doesnt make up the fact the pickups are crap and the guitar needs work.

Ahhh,...you didn't say that in the first place.

so please if your not gonna say anything useful, dont post again.

I thought I was posting something useful.

kthxbye.

edit: just saw the 2nd post

thats better thx 4 the info

I'm not a troll. Just thought I'd add my 2 cents.

• Members

I'm not a troll. Just thought I'd add my 2 cents.

yea nvm that. read my post over and sounded like i came a little strong in choice of expressing lol

but i prefer the 2c from your other posts. :p

anything else you want to add? :thu:

• Members

I wouldn't bother with the active control for now really.

I think if you want to do something that might come in really handy you could pick up a pair of push/pull pots from GFS and wire it all up so both pups are splittable. This is how the Xavieres come stock and I've found it a really simple but cool additional bit of functionality.

In fact, I think the Pats are what came with my Xaviere - I took them and all the wiring out and put it right in my Agile LP and it works wonderfully.

• Members

I wouldn't bother with the active control for now really.

I think if you want to do something that might come in really handy you could pick up a pair of push/pull pots from GFS and wire it all up so both pups are splittable. This is how the Xavieres come stock and I've found it a really simple but cool additional bit of functionality.

In fact, I think the Pats are what came with my Xaviere - I took them and all the wiring out and put it right in my Agile LP and it works wonderfully.

you have a schematic or something that I could get an idea on how wiring for that would be?

• Members

I believe the pickups and pots come with schematics from GFS (at least mine did.)

I'm sure Jay (from GFS) would be able to email you some if you asked nice. I don't have any on the pc to post though.

Lemme see what I can dig up.

Edit: Should be something like this

coil-cut_switch_stud.gif

Archived