Mac OS X Leopard is out. Do you care?

• Members

My HW is ancient (dual G4) and I need to upgrade. As soon as the next gen Mac Pro arrives, I'll buy it Leopard and all. Logic should work right away. Third party stuff I can wait for. I've fallen out of love with most softsynths, anyway, and I can always revert to "the antique" while I'm waiting for a driver upgrade.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

to make money, feed my family, etc.. i have to figure it out before it gets deployed to the public at large.

I do not envy you there, amigo.

My career job revolves and graphic design, layout, web design, and word processing software for the most part. The good news is that I can run software that's 5+ years old and still accomplish 95% of what I can do with the latest and greatest, so no pressure here to change at all.

• Members

i do networking/computer tech, graphic design [print and web], video, audio, and build computers... the new Adobe Master CS3 is making my life a LOT easier in all [sans networking/tech/building... and audio, soundbooth seems rather limited to nuendo, so half] departments now that they have tied them all together. i typically stay current... kind of need to with Flash video to encode for the web.

i actually like making computers work, figuring out what is wrong with them and beating them into submission. sometimes its nerve racking but when you finally figure the problem out it has such a emotional reward to it.

• Members

But I've never, ever been the first kid on the block with a new OS.

I put System 7 on my Mac Classic right after it came out (January, 1990); but back then, all I had installed on my Mac was some software called "Performer" that was supposed to replace my trusty Roland MC-500 mkII.

Best,

Geoff

• Members

I probably won't switch to it until some piece of software I really feel I need for either video or audio won't run on what I've got... but then again, I am still way back in the 10.3.9 dark ages... After Effects 6.5 and Tracktion version 1 are still serving my needs...

Oh, did I also mention I'm cheap?

• Members

I probably won't switch to it until some piece of software I really feel I need for either video or audio won't run on what I've got... but then again, I am still way back in the 10.3.9 dark ages... After Effects 6.5 and Tracktion version 1 are still serving my needs...

Oh, did I also mention I'm cheap?

On my system, 10.4 is WAY more stable than any version of 10.3. I hope Leopard is even better, but I'm waiting for now...

• Members

I haven't had many problems with stability at all. 10.3 has been extremely stable for me, but I am seeing now that many applications, even freeware video conversion apps, etc. are requiring 10.4

I may have to buckle and take a step forward (slightly less backwards?) to someone's copy of 10.4 on ebay after they buy 10.5 :)

• Members

I guess there seems to be 2 ways of going about operating systems.

There are those that can't wait, install beta's, which may include the official release). There are those that wait.

So if you like to figure things out, try something new and don't mind the odd crash now and then. Get excited about certain options. I don't see anything wrong with that, as long as you don't spew "the OS is crap" "sucks" because nothing is perfect. And by taking on the new stuff bleeding edge has a certain responsibility on the user to understand what they are into.

You may not be productive (in a DAW sense) making music. But you do get to understand a little more about software, the OS etc.

If you want to just make music, turn the thing on, better work kinda person. Then installing an OS doesn't get you excited. You probably dread the whole idea of it, don't know what to do if it doesn't boot. You probably won't care about options the new stuff offers. Both have a strength, both have a weakness. But I have to say I have a C2D machine sitting on my studio floor and it has Vista running on it. It does need a new drive, but I can't be bothered. My Mac Pro came in June and I haven't thought about that machine at all. I guess I should tune it up for the kids, or the wife as it's a smokin machine, but I'm enjoying the Mac there hasn't been much need to dive into correcting things but ya I've just been using it. I've dabbled with Leopard on another HD and it seems really sweet. But a couple of things don't work on it yet that I need in my DAW so back to Tiger.

I bet by Christmas I won't even have a Tiger drive working!

Technology changes, we all have chance to jump in at any time. For me as long as I can spend my Fri and Sat nights jamming and recording I'm happy.

During the week, hey I may hack away at the new thing to see what it's all about. Productive? Well, I can troubleshoot really well. I find in anything that I can get in there, have a look and understand how something works, or doesn't. At least I can say, it's the "XXXXX" that doesn't work. Makes me feel useful sometimes.

Later

Archived