Still can't decide on my tubescreamer..

ILikeGuitar

• Members

OD808. Haven't tried the BBE. I've also seen the OD808 compared to a TS10 in a magazine and they said the 808 kicked it's butt, so I don't think they're the same. Can't remember where I saw it though. Whatever it is, it's smoother than the Od9 but not quite as much gain-I like both a lot. I also like my Od808 better than my Fulldrive II. I know you already ordered the BBE-give it a try, but if you don't like it, I'd jump on the Maxon-either really-the Od9 for more gain/clearer, the 808 for smoother, but not muddy, gain.

As far as the Blues Driver that Book of Lies777 mentioned, totally different animal-I don't like them. If you want the tube screamer sound, that's not it. If you think they're too compressed or mid-rangey and want spikey harsh highs, there it is. Ymmv. Different strokes.

• Members

I luv's me my Tubescreamers, have both the TS9 and the TS808, but must admit, that pedal looks/sounds promising. One down side of the TS pedals is "no bass boost", so a pedal like this one is cool to have around when you have an amp that's lacking (like one of my bad puppy amps, the Marshall VS8080). I'm not a huge fan of the Bad Monkey since I find it's tone to be more narrowly focused and not as spatial sounding as the tube screamers, but I use the BM on that 1st generation Marshall (on the rare occasions I play with it) to give it some butt.

But I'll be adding that cm-2 to my wish list. :thu:

• Members

Tube Screamers have too much compression! They do NOT sound like natural overdrive.

Agreed, they've got a big mid hump, lots of compression, and weak bass. But if you're like the OP and want the Stevie sound, that's it.

While I don't have any screamer type OD pedals, I have always found the best way to get the Stevie tone is actually to keep the gain pretty low and the volume high. This will give you just a hint of extra hair but a more powerful sound and more sustain. With a blackface Fender style amp and a good Strat with fresh strings, you will get very close.

• Members

Agreed, they've got a big mid hump, lots of compression, and weak bass. But if you're like the OP and want the Stevie sound, that's it.

While I don't have any screamer type OD pedals, I have always found the best way to get the Stevie tone is actually to keep the gain pretty low and the volume high. This will give you just a hint of extra hair but a more powerful sound and more sustain. With a blackface Fender style amp and a good Strat with fresh strings, you will get very close.

Yeah definitely if you want a hard or classic rock sound with some bottom end, there are better suited pedals out there. It's more about what you sound you wanna get. I'm planning on using the Green Screamer with pretty low gain. Hope it turns out well and I don't have to buy another pedal.

Archived