What causes a guitar to go out of tune easily?

Drew5887

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've found that the nut is the main culprit with tuning instability. Binding = bad.

Tuners not so much. Sucky tuners may be a bear to adjust, but they're almost always competent at holding a string if they're mounted securely.

• Members

Drew

1) What guitar is it?

2) What tuners are on it?

3) What gauge/brand strings do you use?

That's just for starters. Too many possiblities without any additional information, but I agree with jerryboy on what's typical. Even the way you string a guitar matters.

• Members

what is binding in the nut?

If a nut isn't cut right the string or strings can bind in the slots.

You can tune your guitar to perfect pitch but the moment you bend a string you hear that little "plink" at the head stock letting you know that some string pressure has been released ........as well as your tuning.

• Members

#1,check the screws in your tuners,all of them,DON't over tighten but they should be firm.Also check the snugness of the outer nut on the tuner peg.

2. You can fix a binding nut real easy.Use a graphite pencil and rub it in each nut slot.

#3 make sure to take your time and string it right!And stretch your strings!!!

There a cool quick video floating arround on someones sig line,Ill try to find it for ya. It's the only way to string them,quick,easy,and they will never slip.

Jerry

• Members
I recently got new grover tuners, and nothing got better.

What is a string slip and binding in a nut?

Why on earth would you try tuners first? That's the least likely reason in most cases. Poor stringing and binding nut slots are far and away the most popular reasons for a guitar to not stay in tune. Of course, if you have a whammy/vibrato tail of some sort, that can also be a culprit.

• Members

it can never be tuners slipping, when this comes up someone (not sure who) posts a really good diagram and/or descirption of this but tuners cant slip because of the way they are designed.

does anyone know what i mean and can describe it?!?!

• Members

W16S.jpg

right this is what i meant, the string post is attached to the gold gear, and as you can see there is no way that it can move the other gear.

so new tuners may be have a better gear ratio and be easier to tune more precisely but people should always get a nicely cut nut and sort out their stringing method before splashing out on new tuners

• Members

Why on earth would you try tuners first? That's the least likely reason in most cases. Poor stringing and binding nut slots are far and away the most popular reasons for a guitar to not stay in tune. Of course, if you have a whammy/vibrato tail of some sort, that can also be a culprit.

I didn't change my tuners first. I did that as part of a larger overhaul I did on my Agile semi-hollowbody.

I'll try to file down the nut slots (hilarious). There's no tremolo, so that can't be the problem.

Archived