'93/'94 MIJ Squier Strat...

sqrnookle

• Members

Does anyone know ANYWHERE you can find specs on the early 90s Japanese Squiers?? There's bucketloads of info on the JV series and all the 80s... and yet nada on the 90s stuff, aside from the serial number dating stuff.

I ask mainly 'cause I need to get mine some new tuners, and just wanna check there's nothin' tricksy I have to watch out for.

Anyone?

Bueller? :wave:

• Members

Is it a Squier or a Fender Squier Series? Mine is a MIJ Fender Squier Series strat, made in '94. As far as I know it has a poplar body. No room for 'buckers under the pickguard, modern c-shape neck.

Mine's just a plain Squier series, with an O serial no., made '93-'94. No idea what the body is, or the neck shape for that matter (though it does seem a bit thicker than the current Fender Modern C). It does have a swimming pool route, however (hence the bridge 'bucker).

lilred.jpg

slide.jpg

Anyone got anythin'? Just figure I'll put a set of Gotohs in there for the time being, so I just wanna make sure I won't have to enlarge the post holes.

• Members

Yes, you are going to have to enlarge those holes. Those tuners have a very small diameter post, even smaller than the vintage Klusen type. I had some on a similar MIJ neck, and I just used a hand reamer to enlarge the holes to fit some Klusen tuners on.

Just use it a little from the back and the front until the hole is large enough to fit whatever tuners you want to put on there. You can test on a scrap piece of wood. Once you arrive at the correct size, put a piece of masking tape on the reamer to mark the stop depth.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00940884000P

I wouldn't recommend using a drill bit, people have split their headstocks trying to do it that way. A reamer is a safe way to do it, and won't take that much time.

• Members

Yes, you are going to have to enlarge those holes. Those tuners have a very small diameter post, even smaller than the vintage Klusen type. I had some on a similar MIJ neck, and I just used a hand reamer to enlarge the holes to fit some Klusen tuners on.

Just use it a little from the back and the front until the hole is large enough to fit whatever tuners you want to put on there. You can test on a scrap piece of wood. Once you arrive at the correct size, put a piece of masking tape on the reamer to mark the stop depth.

I wouldn't recommend using a drill bit, people have split their headstocks trying to do it that way. A reamer is a safe way to do it, and won't take that much time.

Dang! Cheers for that Mazi. Not sure how comfortable I'd be doing something like that myself, so I'll look around for a good repairer to install 'em.

Thanks again!

• Members

Dang...I had one of those for a while....really hard to find info on, because I think they were never imported to the US. Mine came from ebay, and judging my the other stuff in the gig bag it originally came from Spain. It was a super nice strat with the exception of tuners and electrics.....

Is it a Squier or a Fender Squier Series? Mine is a MIJ Fender Squier Series strat, made in '94. As far as I know it has a poplar body. No room for 'buckers under the pickguard, modern c-shape neck.

2d8l0ko.jpg

Archived