Management?

Filthy

• Members

I play in a punk/garage-rock band that has quickly developed a strong following/reputation in my city. We are releasing a 7" shortly and seem to be getting a good amount of attention. From what i have heard from some experienced people I trust, we may have the right combination of songs, look, and appeal to really do something.

Given the current state of the industry, it seems as though a traditional "record deal" is no longer the be-all-and-end-all for the what we need to work toward.

In thinking about what the next logical step would be for my band to grow, I was thinking that a good manager might be required/desirable. Now, particularly in punk rock circles, anything that hints at cigar-chomping greasy record company-type people is totally unfashionable and not really a consideration and usually not desirable.

However, from researching what the role of a manager is or should be, I am interested to see what other bands are doing and what the general opinion is.

My vision of a manager is a knowledgeable person and generally an uber-music-fan type of person who has connections and experience as either a current/former player who shares the vision of the band and will work tirelessly to promote their interests (shows, promo, airplay, etc.). Not necessarily someone who would have a creative input in what the band is producing, but a sort of behind the scenes non-performing member who is trusted with furthering the goals of the band.

My main complaint is that, as a growing "indy" band, members of the band end up doing all of the crap work like coordinating shows, looking for opening bands, dealing with logistics, making a million phone calls to decide when to show up for sound check. By the time we actually hit the stage we have done so much administrative work that the performance often feels like an after thought or the least important part of the event/show. I also feel like all of the energy put into these tasks sucks energy and time from what I should be doing - playing drums and writing songs to play. I would like to find someone that actually enjoys having a phone attached to their face for 10 hours a day and would skip their own mother's funeral to get us to sound check on time.

How do you find a manager? What makes for a "qualified" manager? Is one necessary, and if so, at what point in a bands development? Is my vision of a manager totally out to lunch? What have been other bands' experience (preferably from a punk/indy perspective)?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Filthy

• Members

Yeah start small and go with someone you can trust over everything. If someone has a general business sense and some common sense they should be sufficient for the beginning of a career. Once you start raking in the money you may want to look to get a full time management company and then place your first manager on a tour manager gig so you will still have him/her close-by.

• Members

I would start with a booking agent that can book you into like genre venues out of you home town ... if that works and you increase your fan base around a couple of states then get a manager.

Here's a link of a interview with Bruce Allen on what a manager's roll with an artist should be ... worth a listen before you go out and hire one.

http://www.artistshousemusic.org/widgetframe.php?term=4685

Bruce Allan manages', Bryan Adams, Michael Buble, Martina Mcbride to name a few, he also managed BTO in the 70 and 80's

• Members

In any genre, if you're reached a good level of buzz and attention, it just makes sense to get a manager. I like garage punk, and look at Todd Cote/ Leafy Green Management, they managed tons of cool bands in that genre.....when you can no longer do everything yourself, it's probably a good idea to then get a manager.

The industry has changed--bars/ clubs/ gigs have shut down, and there's less resources to tour, since there's more acts and less avenues for support of those acts when they're on the road nowadays. As for finding someone you trust? I agree with others here.....a fan or someone that likes what you're doing, that has some decent business sense, could work. Picking someone at random probably isn't the greatest idea. In the past, it used to be that bands that were generating buzz for themselves would get the offers of management to them quite often, and they'd have to choose.

• Members

Let's get back to the manager talk.

Have any of your fans started stepping forward asking if they can help with stuff? You may not need a manager right now per se but just some volunteers who wouldn't mind doing some of the tedious tasks the band has to do.

• Members

In the OP's defense, not everyone is comfortable posting their music in an anonymous public forum. I've been here a while, and I'm not even comfortable doing that (though I have on occasion). Not necessarily because I don't appreciate feedback, but because I just don't feel comfortable with everyone knowing who I am.

+1

I think you need management really when you can't do it yourself anymore, or when you realize you need to book with bigger bands to get to the next level. Until then, no need to put someone else in the process IMO.

• Moderators

if y'all notice some things missing...;)

now, back to the real point...managers are useful when you reach a certain stage, where promotion, booking, finances, etc. take more time than you can put in. Be careful hiring a manager, though, because they are now the face of the band for all business issues, and $ can disappear...

Archived