how hard would it be? converting standard strat to american

mysterybat35

• Members

Hi all,

Been a while since I've posted so hope everyone is doing well! I do have a question though... how hard would it be to put a twin-point pivot tremolo in place of a vintage tremolo...you know with the six screws? I have a standard mexican strat and I want to make it as close as possible as an american fender strat. (don't tell me to go buy one, lol b/c this is just a fun project). I like the fluidity of the tremolos on the squier standard strats as well as the American strats...

(I've always wondered... if Fender can put one of those tremolos on a cheaper Squier, why can't they put one on a Standard Strat?) but anyway....

I am also thinking about taking out the 21 fret neck and putting a 22 fret neck on it instead. The current 21 fret neck is a C-style neck, so if I got a 22 fret C style neck would it fit?

Well thanks for your input and let me know, b/c I wanna see how this project is going to work out

MB35

• Members

Not hard, but when you add the costs of all the upgrades, you could sell the Standard and buy an American for roughly the same price.

I was thinking the exact same thing. If you really want an American, the only way is to get one is to buy one. I've owned MIM and MIA Fenders, and there really is a pretty big difference.

• Members

I am also thinking about taking out the 21 fret neck and putting a 22 fret neck on it instead. The current 21 fret neck is a C-style neck, so if I got a 22 fret C style neck would it fit?

For some reason, I like the older 21 fret necks better than the new 22 ones. Guess it's the old "if it aint broken, why fix it?" thing for me.

Ohh, and I like old music better than the new stuff, too... dntknw.gif

• Members

Not hard, but when you add the costs of all the upgrades, you could sell the Standard and buy an American for roughly the same price.

Yeah +1.

And you won't have to spend the time that it takes to find parts and put them together.

• Members

For some reason, I like the older 21 fret necks better than the new 22 ones. Guess it's the old "if it aint broken, why fix it?" thing for me.

Ohh, and I like old music better than the new stuff, too...
dntknw.gif

Everyone ends up liking what they're willing to get used to (when it comes to guitars anyway).

• Members

yeah. I think the closest thing I'm going to get to an American Strat without paying the $$$ for it is a Fender KOA strat which has the 22 frets that I like as well as the twin-pivot tremolo .. they are only like 599.99 and I've played one of these. Or one of those Fender Lite-Ash guitars which I heard are nice too. I am still going to get some gold lipstick pickups from GFS to put in place of the single coils.

thanks for your input

MB35

• Members

You'd need to route (Right word?) the body to put on the 22 fret neck. Not sure about the trem. I'm sure you can find someone selling a prewired american pickguard, and if not, people are selling electronics for American strats all the time.

I like the koa strat. Seriously some of the most beautiful guitars I've ever played.

• Members

no routing required for the 22 fret neck, the exta fret hangs over the pickguard

the 2 point trems screw into metal holes in the body, like a real bolt on neck should (Fenders are really screw-on necks)

I wouldn't do it, too much work not enough gain

Archived