Just watched page on the Olympic closing ceremonies, it was...

ebidis

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Why would they pair him with an American singer to invite the world to London 2012?
:wave:

I mentioned Gretchen because of her vocal qualities, not because of her country of origin. IMO it would have been better to pair him with someone like her.

I'm sure the UK still has some female singers with a style like Gretchen's.

• Members

Sir Paul seemed like he would have been the logical choice. I wonder if he was offered the gig. He seems to have a more universal appeal than Page.

How 'bout Elton John? Hell, he prolly could have cranked out a nice tune specific to the occasion rather than scrape up a nearly 40 year old Zep tune that (although I do like the song) really doesn't fit event.

• Members

Since the theme was a London bus stop, you'd think they would have worked The Hollies song "Bus Stop" into that portion of the show somehow. That would have been cool. ;)

It was cool but odd to see that version of Whole Lotta Love in a totalitarian state.

• Members

You mean like a country singer:confused:

No, I mean like a singer with a great voice who knows how to sing rock. Even unplugged :)

[YOUTUBE]_KRzICeBXBE[/YOUTUBE]

Or plugged :thu:

[YOUTUBE]-t4iQo3GcVM[/YOUTUBE]

I would have preferred a voice like that next to Page's guitar, but I guess that's just me.

• Members

I merely posted my opinion, just as you're posting your opinion, just like the OP posted his opinion.

I don't hate Page. In fact, I like his work with Zeppelin, Plant, Rodgers, Coverdale, etc.

I did not like this performance.

It's not about hating Page or the singer. Both are obviously talented.

I did like him with Plant when I saw them some years ago, but not this time. No big deal :)

• Members

I am quite convinced that the performance was not live. Just like the girl did not sing live at the opening. Can you imagine the nightmare with regard to monitoring, stuff going out of sync etc? I think the music was canned and the musicians were acting - perhaps the voice was live ...

• Members

I am quite convinced that the performance was not live. Just like the girl did not sing live at the opening. Can you imagine the nightmare with regard to monitoring, stuff going out of sync etc? I think the music was canned and the musicians were acting - perhaps the voice was live ...

Then Page has gotten very good at miming ... the wireless transmitter was also a good faux-authentic touch.

Yeah, RIGHT.

• Members

The Olympics? Is there anything more boring than watching people run and jump?

Oh, yeah. There is. It's the freakin' Tour de France.

I'd say reading what passes for discussion on HCEG trumps both of those events hands down when it comes to boring.

• Members

You fail, he did great for his age and he did what all performers would do.

I am probably the biggest Page fan on Earth. I should have elaborated:

I waded through all of the closing ceremony crap so I wouldn't miss Page. Then the moment arrives...and the mix sucked, and I could barely hear his guitar over the caterwalling superstar pop vocalist that I had never heard of, and the stage set was lame. I also think there are better Zep songs, but I guess that one is very recognizable.

I had no problem with Page himself, or his playing. As a matter of fact I thought the solo was perfect. I just thought the setting and the whole production were lacking.

And as far as my sons coments, I just thought it was ironic that when I was 15 I thought Page was a demigod. It is funny how things change.

• Members

I've never been so uninterested in the Olympics before in my life.

Its a shame too because these athletes work very hard to get there. Thank goodness most people do not share the same sentiment.

At least Jimmy got to rock out at the end.

Archived